Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

driving lights behind grill install with pics!

So ive been itching to to this the last week or so, and today i decided to go for it, and one thing i will note is the crash bar is made of some sort of high carbon steel or something VERY hard, so you'll need a cobalt drill bit, i chose 1/8" with rivets because self tappers don't stand a chance.
the grill supports fit right under my brackets.
every 2 lights are running off of their own relay, and the relay is triggered by the fog lights, mostly because i didnt want to run a wire through the fire wall.

and i think i'm gonna remove the greenish yellow headlight film, i though it would look more yellow, and less green.

lights.jpg

lights2.jpg

lights3.jpg

lights4.jpg

lights5.jpg

OP
hotrodst7
Thread Starter #4
thanks guys! to be honest they look better in person! especially when lit up, very menacing behind you! lol funny story right after i finished it i took a friend for a ride and and he was like wow this things pretty fast i bet it would be a good race for your v8 rx7. i was also curious to see how much faster my rx7 was so we lined em up and did a few pulls from a 20-30mph roll, aaand well the lights look really cool in my mirror! fyi the rx7 is an 11-12 sec car.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Nice. When people ask why tell them: Because, rally car.

What size/brand are they? I might want to try this with Hella Black Magic lights.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
thanks guys! to be honest they look better in person! especially when lit up, very menacing behind you! lol funny story right after i finished it i took a friend for a ride and and he was like wow this things pretty fast i bet it would be a good race for my v8 rx7. i was also curious to see how much faster the rx7 was so we lined em up and did a few pulls from a 20-30mph roll, aaand well the light look really cool in my mirror! fyi the rx7 is an 11-12 sec car.
Im trying to undertand. You mean you beat the rx7?

OP
hotrodst7
Thread Starter #9
Sorry bad wording, both cars are mine and the rx7 just pulls away from the fiesta st. I was driving my rx7 and my friend was drivimg my fiesta.

OP
hotrodst7
Thread Starter #10
Nice. When people ask why tell them: Because, rally car.

What size/brand are they? I might want to try this with Hella Black Magic lights.
They are 4" and were from ebay, but suprisingly good quality, they even came with their own relays, and have glass lenses.
if you search yellow driving lights on ebay you should find em, i cant post a link on my phone right now.

OP
hotrodst7
Thread Starter #13
Should not affect cooling for street driving, it has an electric fan so when the engine needs to cool down it will kick the fan on and will ony draw as much air through the radiator as the fan can move regaurdless of if the lights are there or not the fan will draw the same cfm through the radiator. And when your moving the front grill gets pressurized as the front of the car is a high pressure area and under hood is a low pressure area. So far i havent seen a difference in temp and dont expect to till i start running more power, bigger bang = more heat then better radiator will be needed.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Should not affect cooling for street driving, it has an electric fan so when the engine needs to cool down it will kick the fan on and will ony draw as much air through the radiator as the fan can move regaurdless of if the lights are there or not the fan will draw the same cfm through the radiator. And when your moving the front grill gets pressurized as the front of the car is a high pressure area and under hood is a low pressure area. So far i havent seen a difference in temp and dont expect to till i start running more power, bigger bang = more heat then better radiator will be needed.

The electric fan was not enough to keep my car and others from over heating when running hard. Just keep an eye on it :)
If you run it on a track (other than drag strip) you prob will need a bigger rad either way, so that's a good call.

OP
hotrodst7
Thread Starter #15
Ya thats most likely true that the stock radiator is undersized especially for a turbo car, i was just saying the lights are not gonna make it overheat! Radiators dont need very much airflow but the more surface area they have the more heat they shed.

Im suprised they put such a small radiator in these cars to begin with.

I like that look, got me thinking some crazy ideas now.

I like your idea wiring through the fogs, so no worry off wiring in a new switch.

Now something to be cautious about this... If you get true driving lights, wired in with your fogs, you will not want something really bright, or a high lumen LED. When you click you HB on, fogs go off. The other option is to use your fog switch to dim the lights. A bit of a pain from my perspective.

Now if there was a way to reverse the way the fog switch would light driving beams, I'd be in business.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Great job! How easy is it to reach the lights for cleaning?

OP
hotrodst7
Thread Starter #18
Great job! How easy is it to reach the lights for cleaning?
Im not sure yet they have only been in for a day but since they are glass lenses im hoping to squirt em with bug remover let it sit a few minutes, then just power wash em through the grill. Not sure how it will actually work yet, but giver a week or so and ill know.

OP
hotrodst7
Thread Starter #19
I like that look, got me thinking some crazy ideas now.

I like your idea wiring through the fogs, so no worry off wiring in a new switch.

Now something to be cautious about this... If you get true driving lights, wired in with your fogs, you will not want something really bright, or a high lumen LED. When you click you HB on, fogs go off. The other option is to use your fog switch to dim the lights. A bit of a pain from my perspective.

Now if there was a way to reverse the way the fog switch would light driving beams, I'd be in business.
Ya that is the only down side is not having them with the hb, but i did aim the out side lights to the ditches, and kept the middle ones aimed strait ahead, i aimed them low enough so i dont get much greif from passerbys so i just leave them all lit up!