Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

INSTALL GUIDE: European headlight installation with LED headlight bulbs and LED running light wiring

Just a random tidbit for anyone who's uninstalling/reinstalling their headlights a lot. Those plastic white tabs that hold the black protruding portion on the bottom of the headlight to the car cost $16 a piece from Ford. Noticed that my passenger side was no longer making that 'click' noise when installing/removing the headlights and found that one of the clip parts had broken off. These are what I'm referring to:

So be careful $_$.

Edit: Part # BE8Z-13N129-A, in case anyone ever needs to order some.

-Matt

Just a random tidbit for anyone who's uninstalling/reinstalling their headlights a lot. Those plastic white tabs that hold the black protruding portion on the bottom of the headlight to the car cost $16 a piece from Ford. Noticed that my passenger side was no longer making that 'click' noise when installing/removing the headlights and found that one of the clip parts had broken off. These are what I'm referring to:

So be careful $_$.

Edit: Part # BE8Z-13N129-A, in case anyone ever needs to order some.

-Matt
lifesaver! I think my passenger side one is worn out (impressive as I think my car still has less than a thousand miles on it). If i push on the headlamp it like sinks down a littl ebit, as if there isn't anything rigidly holding it from below. that's what this plastic piece does yeah? or is it what holds the bottom of the headlamp close to the bumper cover?

lifesaver! I think my passenger side one is worn out (impressive as I think my car still has less than a thousand miles on it). If i push on the headlamp it like sinks down a littl ebit, as if there isn't anything rigidly holding it from below. that's what this plastic piece does yeah? or is it what holds the bottom of the headlamp close to the bumper cover?

The white piece is attached to the car under the headlight, and those protruding black pieces on the bottom of the headlight housing slide down into those white connectors.

-Matt

brbauer2

I had to replace my driver side. Local dealer had it for $14. Had to wait a day for them to get it in from the warehouse.

Here it is on Amazon.
Here it is from Tasca.

Not sure if I mentioned it in an earlier post, but I had to shave a couple MM of plastic off that bottom mount in order for the light assembly to sit flush. Without shaving the light could be rocked back and forth even with tightening each bolt down completely.

Not sure if I mentioned it in an earlier post, but I had to shave a couple MM of plastic off that bottom mount in order for the light assembly to sit flush. Without shaving the light could be rocked back and forth even with tightening each bolt down completely.
yeah that's actually the behavior I noticed, though I think I only noticed it on one side. You shaved off the big black plastic tab that sits in the white piece on the chassis?

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
No. Can't do switchback with these lights without further modding since the stock bulb is single filament.

Sent from my OnePlus 3
errr yees single filament but some switchback will work. If power is pulsed they pulse orange. If power is on constant for the first 0.5 second they are orange then go white. Just clarifying that point, not to argue.

brbauer2

yeah that's actually the behavior I noticed, though I think I only noticed it on one side. You shaved off the big black plastic tab that sits in the white piece on the chassis?
Just a few thin slivers with a razor blade.

Light Clip.png

errr yees single filament but some switchback will work. If power is pulsed they pulse orange. If power is on constant for the first 0.5 second they are orange then go white. Just clarifying that point, not to argue.
Good to know!

Heyo,

Was wondering if someone could school me on this HID wiring setup. This is utilizing an H7 HD relay harness, as well as a capacitor inline on the driver side (the capacitor runs inline with the OEM wiring connection). Trying to figure out if the extra plug on the passenger side is superfluous or...?

I'm basing the above image on this document on the Morimoto website, page 4 for internally wired: http://www.morimotohid.com/media/custom/upload/Harness-HDRelay.pdf

-Matt

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #512
That's weird, mine has a 9006 connector on each side for the ballastS and one one H7 connector on the drivers side as a signal wire.

That's weird, mine has a 9006 connector on each side for the ballastS and one one H7 connector on the drivers side as a signal wire.
So for your passenger side on the inside of the headlight, did you not have to reconnect the stock H7 low beam connector to anything? Just left it disconnected inside the housing?

I called TRS to ask and they said that they just ship the wiring bundle the same way for each side just in case, but that you only need the driver side connected like in the Morimoto manual.

-Matt

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #514
I only have one H7 connector on my TRS harness and it's on the drivers side. You only have to worry about the HID bulb wires on the passenger side.

I only have one H7 connector on my TRS harness and it's on the drivers side. You only have to worry about the HID bulb wires on the passenger side.
Gotcha. So when you had the HIDs installed, inside the passenger side headlight you just left the connector that snaps onto the back of the H7 bulb free floating right?

-Matt

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #516
Gotcha. So when you had the HIDs installed, inside the passenger side headlight you just left the connector that snaps onto the back of the H7 bulb free floating right?

-Matt
Yep, left it free floating inside the headlight.

So I decided not to be lazy... I went ahead and did the HID install on my euros. Using Morimoto 4500k D2H bulbs with H7 adapters glued on, Morimoto 35w ballasts, and an H7 HD relay with a capacitor. Install was pretty straight forward, though I will say I did run into some bumps along the way installing all the stuff on the driver side. The passenger side is fine, but the driver side is a really tight fit, especially if you're putting the relay on that side. I used the + and - directly on the battery terminals for power and grounding. Also used double sided 3M velcro and zip ties to attach the ballasts and igniters in the engine bay. I'll have to keep an eye on all of the wiring and parts to make sure nothing suffers any heat damage. While I do appreciate that the HIDs are brighter than the halogens and have a nicer color temperature, I have to say that the excess glare kind of hinders the experience. Some comparison output shots:

Halogen:

HID:

Halogen:

HID:

This second shot is a bit erroneous. I went to the same place I did my previous aiming, however since it was earlier in the night, the parking lot lights were not out like my previous images, so don't be fooled into thinking that it's making the entire parking lot that much brighter. Either way, still gives an idea of the light output and the bulb temperature.

If you compare the halogen to HID images, you can see that the squirrel finders are much more pronounced, which is to be expected. Overall? I'm underwhelmed with the outcome. The good news is, everything is in place now, so besides swapping the wiring pin in the stock harnesses back, installing my retrofit headlights should be pretty straight forward to compare the difference.

-Matt

Ok guys!! I sent the request via FordpartsUK last night around 10pm ct. Wendy replied this morning with the quote. 575$ to ship to OK. Im going to talke to the wife before pulling the trigger. What else do i need! I read the thread and i know i need the picks and some bit. Also what lights would you recommend for thr fog lights? I like to be all the same color.

Thank you for the tread is super informative!!!

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #520
Ok guys!! I sent the request via FordpartsUK last night around 10pm ct. Wendy replied this morning with the quote. 575$ to ship to OK. Im going to talke to the wife before pulling the trigger. What else do i need! I read the thread and i know i need the picks and some bit. Also what lights would you recommend for thr fog lights? I like to be all the same color.

Thank you for the tread is super informative!!!
Not needed, but if you want to upgrade the bulbs to something brighter you can look at your options here:

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...g-light-wiring?p=183876&viewfull=1#post183876