Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New turbo-back exhaust!!!

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I hit one guy up asked if he could dyno my old car when u got it smogged once. Said it doesn't do that. It just provides resistance. Does not measure power. A big majority of those smog techs are not going to get under the car and look for a carb sticker. They will look from above, see something that looks like a cat. Scan the computer and be on to the next car. Also there not going to call the cops on you and get your car impounded. My original post said it COULD fool a tech not that it will. I did not mean to stir up any shit. I have also heard about finding carb #s online. That could be a backup. Oh shit I forgot it didn't have the # on there sir here it is I saved it my phone after I bought it. Could work.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Ya it would dope if those Dyno's worked like HP Dyno's Hahahaha. They are mostly afraid of undercover CARB guys coming in. That does happen, I came from the 240sx world. We would put the Japanese version engine's in, SR20DET's. Which of course where turbo charged and very bolt on mod friendly. 215HP stock. No way in hell those engines were going to pass visual. They actually would tailpipe though. It was not unusual to here of a smog tech getting into trouble.
Lol I better just shut up now.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I hit one guy up asked if he could dyno my old car when u got it smogged once. Said it doesn't do that. It just provides resistance. Does not measure power. A big majority of those smog techs are not going to get under the car and look for a carb sticker. They will look from above, see something that looks like a cat. Scan the computer and be on to the next car. Also there not going to call the cops on you and get your car impounded. My original post said it COULD fool a tech not that it will. I did not mean to stir up any shit. I have also heard about finding carb #s online. That could be a backup. Oh shit I forgot it didn't have the # on there sir here it is I saved it my phone after I bought it. Could work.

You are probably correct, since the stories of draconian obsessiveness I have heard about Cali (one even on this site a while ago) is when you get nailed on either a pull over, or a spot check (IF they still have these in Cali??) by a local LEO, or worse yet, a CHP who suspects something is not legal about your ride, and then sends you to an official STATE mandated inspection center, where they check the minutiae in a Gestapo-like manner.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I have only seen that once. But thats just my experience. Btw I hate Cali car shit lol.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
If it was me....I'd just register my Car in Mn...come hangout for a couple weeks when it's not -20 outside....go back and tell each one of those no talent cock wombles to eat a bowl of phallus's when I get pulled over and point at my plates Being from Mn....Bam problem solved! Now if it were only that easy......why do people and laws always get in the way of creative thinker rounder kinda guys? FML..

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
You are probably correct, since the stories of draconian obsessiveness I have heard about Cali (one even on this site a while ago) is when you get nailed on either a pull over, or a spot check (IF they still have these in Cali??) by a local LEO, or worse yet, a CHP who suspects something is not legal about your ride, and then sends you to an official STATE mandated inspection center, where they check the minutiae in a Gestapo-like manner.
San Gabriel Valley used to be notorious for pull over hood lifts. They even instructed the cops in some towns as to what a SR20 looked like. For the most part if you were not obnoxious you were safe. Exhaust tickets were the bummer though. If your exhaust was too loud you would get a ticket. At first you just went to the CHP and they just came out saw your car idling and wrote it off. Then they got the idea to send you to the referee. That's when shit got ugly. I went through that. Actually had an idiot that was a ref at LA trade tech try to tell me it was federally illegal to swap an engine period . Lol

Truth is the CA law is same year or newer engine that was sold in a NA market vehicle provided you swapped in the proper smog equipment. Federal law is actually a bit more liberal.
(Funny thing about that is I have seen few LSx swaps that would actually pass referees.)

The idiots wanted to put the car on dyno to check the loudness like the exhaust would be louder under load vs being revved up in nuetral standing still lol.

As far as rolling smog checks those still happen in some places randomly . Usually where they know a lot of street racing is going on.
If it was me....I'd just register my Car in Mn...come hangout for a couple weeks when it's not -20 outside....go back and tell each one of those no talent cock wombles to eat a bowl of phallus's when I get pulled over and point at my plates Being from Mn....Bam problem solved! Now if it were only that easy......why do people and laws always get in the way of creative thinker rounder kinda guys? FML..

Problem with this is California Law requires a person to register their car in Claifornia if they take up residence here and they have ten days after taking up residence to to do this. So while youmight skate for a minute eventually they will pull you over ask to see your license , if it's got a Cali address then you would get a ticket that gets written off once you get proof of California registration. Or if you had out of state license they would ask how long you are visiting for take note and inform you. If you get pulled over for the same thing again by the same agency it's ticket time.

By the way the Jeremy Piven gif/meme is great. Lol

OP
CGLENN27
Thread Starter #106

MAN, I feel the same way... Sure the weather sucks here in Indy (definitely worse where you are) but god do I love the car laws. If the feds weren't such dicks, Indiana would actually let you register a JDM car (no matter the age) and can seriously plate and register just about anything with lights and wheels as a kit car. It's the way it should be IMO.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Oh man I wish laws loke that. Along with gun laws. I would pay a lil more in registration maybe for a special tag. An enthusiast tag or something. There are alot of car dudes out here they can make money off of us.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
MAN, I feel the same way... Sure the weather sucks here in Indy (definitely worse where you are) but god do I love the car laws. If the feds weren't such dicks, Indiana would actually let you register a JDM car (no matter the age) and can seriously plate and register just about anything with lights and wheels as a kit car. It's the way it should be IMO.
But in Indiana you have to prove every 2 years you do not drive a "kit car" more that 3000 miles a year verified by an inspection. So a DD is excluded. And if you get a "Show Car" exemption you have to prove entry in 2 shows a year and maintain the car in "show" condition verified by inspection. If it is not "show quality" strictly defined by the Indiana law you lose it. Other than that all Fed laws apply for other all cars built after 1975 including not modifying the stock emissions system in Indiana. You do have two counties that require checks.

I ordered this exhaust today. I’m a bit disappointed that it’s not an actually cat because I will have to go through emissions testing in Colorado. I guess I will wait to install it after testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Atleast in Cali there's no testing till the car its 6 years old.

After reading your post and it looks like new cars are exempt for the first 7 years, I am not sure if it will apply to mine as it came from NY. I will purposely run past the sniffer trucks before I install just to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club

koozy

3000 Post Club
So you basically got stopped in one of those rolling CHP smog checks? I am just wondering what managed to get you a Smog ticket and you clearly stated it was not exhaust. Also what area of LA .
this happened on Mulholland near the Rock Store, they heard the VTA BOV, which is what initially caught their attention, then they ask to see what's under the hood and they saw the CP-E intake without CARB EO#, not CA emissions compliant so they got me there along with the VTA BOV. The important thing was that the citation was "correctable", which allowed me the opportunity to correct the issues and pay a small fine. Fines are hefty for "non-correctable" offenses. The PIA part was putting things back to stock for the California (BAR) Bureau Of Automotive Repair State Ref inspection and then installing the turbo kit again.

Aside from the VTA BOV that's under the car my engine compartment looks stock now, but packing a DHM360R turbo kit with Aux fuel LOL. I no longer worry about popping the hood with an ST200 intake and RAMAIR crossover pipe to the turbo. I just have to be mindful to not the let the BOV vent aloud around LEOs in the canyons that are profiling particular cars, for particular mods.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
At the moment my cp-e with a plm downpipe is quieter than just my muffler delete. (Says a coworker that has seen me tear out of a job site with both setups) so I think I would have to be speeding or driving stupid to piss a Leo off to check my car.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
So you basically got stopped in one of those rolling CHP smog checks? I am just wondering what managed to get you a Smog ticket and you clearly stated it was not exhaust. Also what area of LA .
I got a non correctable at a smog checkpoint in San Diego. I just happened to be driving my big turbo srt4 w/ 3” o2 3” side exit. They had a dyno truck on a side street, guided me there, and made an itemized list of all the fun stuff. Car was burning pretty clean but wasn’t good enough, intake, intercooler had no cert, 100 cell cat, etc. total pita, hired a lawyer and all that Jazz. I was not a participant in the street racing bs they were trying to go after but it didn’t matter. I don’t know if it’s still the case, but SD used to have a forfeiture clause so if they busted you street racing you get to buy your car back at auction.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I got a non correctable at a smog checkpoint in San Diego. I just happened to be driving my big turbo srt4 w/ 3” o2 3” side exit. They had a dyno truck on a side street, guided me there, and made an itemized list of all the fun stuff. Car was burning pretty clean but wasn’t good enough, intake, intercooler had no cert, 100 cell cat, etc. total pita, hired a lawyer and all that Jazz. I was not a participant in the street racing bs they were trying to go after but it didn’t matter. I don’t know if it’s still the case, but SD used to have a forfeiture clause so if they busted you street racing you get to buy your car back at auction.
Ya non correctibles are officers discretion situation. If you get an asshole you get a non correctibles. I know people who had SR's get non correctibles .

OP
CGLENN27
Thread Starter #120
Back on topic. Any more updates? Does the downpipe have a support bracket on it?
Not yet, I'm very sorry. I've been very busy this week at work and my kids just started back up at school this week and the weather here has sucked but I will be uploading my complete review by this weekend. No it doesn't have a support bracket on it.