Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

XanRules

Is there a consensus on muffler delete + resonator in terms of volume? I'm looking at whackin' my muffler off and putting in a Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator, but all the videos I can find online are either terrible quality or heavily modified cars, and in terms of feedback on volume I've heard everything from "almost as loud as a straight pipe" to "barely louder than stock."

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I’m running 3” stainless with a vibrant bottle resonator up front and a vibrant ultra quiet in the back. There is still plenty of sound - the vibrant ultra quiet’s length attenuates high frequencies while allowing deep tones to continue. If you take off your muffler, leave the stock resonator you might wind up with drone. If that happens you need a quarter wave resonator to target those specific tones. If you don’t care about drone or stay stock diameter pipe you’ll probably be fine. There’s a thread I made about it with videos of the sound, I think you can check my profile. It’s called identifying and mitigating drone or something like that. I can’t link direct because I’m on my phone and the profiles don’t load right.

XanRules

I’m running 3” stainless with a vibrant bottle resonator up front and a vibrant ultra quiet in the back. There is still plenty of sound - the vibrant ultra quiet’s length attenuates high frequencies while allowing deep tones to continue. If you take off your muffler, leave the stock resonator you might wind up with drone. If that happens you need a quarter wave resonator to target those specific tones. If you don’t care about drone or stay stock diameter pipe you’ll probably be fine. There’s a thread I made about it with videos of the sound, I think you can check my profile. It’s called identifying and mitigating drone or something like that. I can’t link direct because I’m on my phone and the profiles don’t load right.
Yeah, I recall your thread and it's really interesting - I'm just going to stay stock diameter. I think I'm going to take off the back muffler and leave the resonator. If that sounds like shit I'll add a Vibrant Ultra Quiet in place of the stock resonator. If that drones I'll add a quarter wave resonator - Synapse engineering makes special drone-eliminating hemholtz resonators at a reasonable price, I would just need to figure the frequencies out, but if I get to that point i'll ask you directly for tips [like]

Volume is my main concern, it's just I can't find a good example of what a muffler delete sounds like. Everything on youtube either looks like it was saved onto a floppy disk and then uploaded from Mars or is called "Fiesta ST Muffler Delete" and then in the comments it's "WITH 3" CATLESS DOWNPIPE AND CRACKLES TUNE"

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Yeah, I recall your thread and it's really interesting - I'm just going to stay stock diameter. I think I'm going to take off the back muffler and leave the resonator. If that sounds like shit I'll add a Vibrant Ultra Quiet in place of the stock resonator. If that drones I'll add a quarter wave resonator - Synapse engineering makes special drone-eliminating hemholtz resonators at a reasonable price, I would just need to figure the frequencies out, but if I get to that point i'll ask you directly for tips [like]

Volume is my main concern, it's just I can't find a good example of what a muffler delete sounds like. Everything on youtube either looks like it was saved onto a floppy disk and then uploaded from Mars or is called "Fiesta ST Muffler Delete" and then in the comments it's "WITH 3" CATLESS DOWNPIPE AND CRACKLES TUNE"
FWIW, the consensus, like the reply before you mentions too, is that deleting the muffler and leaving resonator adds drone... I'd try resonator delete first, then maybe change the rear muffler for better sound, this is the route I'm going anyway.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I have a short video of mine somewhere if I can find I'll post it. It was just a muffler delete and an oval tip.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This is mine with just a muffler delete nothing else. I can get another video tomorrow outside if you like.

https://youtu.be/H8h0ZaP7G1g
It’s iPhone quality sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XanRules

I have a short video of mine somewhere if I can find I'll post it. It was just a muffler delete and an oval tip.

This is mine with just a muffler delete nothing else. I can get another video tomorrow outside if you like.

https://youtu.be/H8h0ZaP7G1g
It’s iPhone quality sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
how's y'all's volume and drone-y-ness?

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
how's y'all's volume and drone-y-ness?
All the fiesta muffler deletes drone at about 115-120hz, you need roughly a 34” quarter wave resonator or 9 ish feet of regular resonator to tame that. The problem with muffler deletes is that they sound like muffler deletes, putting in something like the vibrant smooths the sound out by filtering the high frequencies, but it isn’t long enough to touch the wavelength at 115-120hz. A drone in that range is hard to hear completely, it’s more uncomfortable and feels like pressure, but can damage your hearing regardless.

Also FYI Synapse engineering doesn’t sell helmholtz resonators they sell quarter wave resonators, and they overcharge for them. All a quarter wave resonator is is a piece of pipe with a cap that is a calculated length for targeting specific frequencies.

If you want to muffler delete, shoot some video with high quality sound cruising at the most painful speed as well as speeding up from 1000-4000 rpm slowly and I can tell you how long of a resonator you’ll need. Yes, it will take you a second trip to an exhaust shop but you won’t do permanent hearing damage and your car won’t sound like a dumpster fire.

Remember there is a difference between a muffler swap and an exhaust system - in any “system” the parts are engineered to work together. Changing a part of that system adds a variable you then have to compensate for.

XanRules

All the fiesta muffler deletes drone at about 115-120hz, you need roughly a 34” quarter wave resonator or 136” of regular resonator to tame that. The problem with muffler deletes is that they sound like muffler deletes, putting in something like the vibrant smooths the sound out by filtering the high frequencies, but it isn’t long enough to touch the wavelength at 115-120hz. A drone in that range is hard to hear completely, it’s more uncomfortable and feels like pressure, but can damage your hearing regardless.

Also FYI Synapse engineering doesn’t sell helmholtz resonators they sell quarter wave resonators, and they overcharge for them. All a quarter wave resonator is is a piece of pipe with a cap that is a calculated length for targeting specific frequencies.

If you want to muffler delete, shoot some video with high quality sound cruising at the most painful speed as well as speeding up from 1000-4000 rpm slowly and I can tell you how long of a resonator you’ll need. Yes, it will take you a second trip to an exhaust shop but you won’t do permanent hearing damage and your car won’t sound like a dumpster fire.

Remember there is a difference between a muffler swap and an exhaust system - in any “system” the parts are engineered to work together. Changing a part of that system adds a variable you then have to compensate for.
This is good info, thank you! Looks like swapping both muffler AND resonator rather than deleting one or the other is really the best option.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
If you delete the res it adds a little growl, you can always have the stock muffler replaced with, say, a magnaflow or something. The vibrant ultra quiet will give you a really deep smooth sound, but it might leave behind too much deep booming. You could probably delete both resonator and muffler, replace the front resonator with a vibrant 18” once to tune out the ultrasonics then tame the booming with a quarter wave resonator. The quarter wave is cheap to have done and just takes a bit of calculating.

You could design and build a true helmholtz resonator to get a wider range of frequency cancellation (that’s why thermal sounds pretty awesome) but there’s more work involved.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
There is some drone with a muffler delete but I did get complemented on it a few times. When I responded with it only costed 35 bucks and it's just a muffler delete they were surprised. It's not that loud either. Rather deep and growly in the lower rpm's. I guess I'm used to some drone with my previous car so it didn't bother me too much. You could always start with it being so cheap then throw any muffler of your choosing if you dislike it.

Permanent hearing damage...you serious? Lol. I did a muffler delete. Drone is not bad at all. I daily the car 144 miles per weekday, lots of highway and stop-n-go traffic (mostly stop). I think most folks who talk about the crazy, ear-destroying drone from a muffler delete have never been in a FiST with a muffler delete. Maybe they're remembering an experience with another car--but such experience doesn't always translate.

My configuration is RMM and muffler delete, otherwise bone-stock, 2017.

Over the weekend I will record something *inside the car*, which is what matters for livability. I have high quality mics, so hopefully it will be something others can use in making a decision on the muffler delete. I love it, and I feel really smart for doing such a cheap exhaust mod, and getting it right!

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Yes I’m serious. Sounds you don’t really notice can still damage your hearing. Damage your own hearing if you want but someone considering doing a full muffler delete should at least be making an informed decision. It’s possible you don’t notice crazy ear destroying drone because you’ve already damaged your hearing. The low frequency sounds, below 250hz, are the ones that make your car interior buzz and tend to make you yawn to try to pop your ears if you’re exposed for too long. This isn’t opinion, it’s audiology.

If you’re going to do a muffler delete try to do a frequency analysis to make sure subaudible frequencies aren’t going to hurt you - true for any exhaust really.

XanRules

hypothetically if anyone was planning on getting an Ultra Quiet resonator or any other exhaust bits, there's plenty on Ebay, who are having a 15% off sale on all items today, which brings them down from their MSRP of $102 ($90 retail) to about $76 shipped.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
hypothetically if anyone was planning on getting an Ultra Quiet resonator or any other exhaust bits, there's plenty on Ebay, who are having a 15% off sale on all items today, which brings them down from their MSRP of $102 ($90 retail) to about $76 shipped.
I am now a huge fan of Vibrant, I wanted to try their stuff so my current exhaust is vibrant resonators, vibrant vbands, though I refused to pay the markup for their stainless and used bassani supplied stainless. The quality on the vibrant bits is great, nice thick metal, etc. Really smooth sound, and though the ultra quiet tones out a lot of high frequency harshness it kinda exacerbates the low frequencies (since the highs are gone). Good if you like a deep sound, though it results in a bit more attenuation inside the car.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Just installed my MBRP w/ added vibrant resonator and 32" wavelength pipe. Bought it here http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/17849-Fiesta-ST-MBRP-catback

Couldn't be happier. Coming from straight piped cars I was worried it might be a bit too tame but it fits the bill perfectly. Loud when you get on it and no noticeable drone when at cruising speed. I eventually will probably get a catless dp in the future but I don't foresee any added drone, just more raw noise.