Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2014 ST 37mpg - 2018 ST mpg 33?

Hello everyone,

Looking to get a better gas mileage vehicle. I came a cross a 2014 Fiesta ST and google said gets 29 city & 37 hwy. Which I would be happy with since it seams like a decent fun little car to drive. I then came across a 2018 and google said it gets 26 city & 33 hwy. Why the difference?
they both look like they have 1.6L in them.

I just want to make sure the 37mpg with the 14' isn't a typo, I've had Google lie to me before, lol. If it isn't I will be looking for an older 2014.

Any info on the different year and mpg would be helpful. I also head the ST take premium... Is that nessasary?

thanks

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Hello everyone,

Looking to get a better gas mileage vehicle. I came a cross a 2014 Fiesta ST and google said gets 29 city & 37 hwy. Which I would be happy with since it seams like a decent fun little car to drive. I then came across a 2018 and google said it gets 26 city & 33 hwy. Why the difference?

I just want to make sure the 37mpg with the 14' isn't a typo, I've had Google lie to me before, lol. If it isn't I will be looking for an older 2014.

Any info on the different year and mpg would be helpful. I also head the ST take premium... Is that nessasary?

thanks
All years of the US FiST have the same 1.6L turbo motor, so the gas mileage should be the same for all of them. I get 28 or 29 miles a gallon in mixed driving which is about 3/4 cruising out in the country, sometimes driving it hard, and 1/4 driving in town. 37 miles per gallon on the highway is possible, but probably at the very top end of the range. I think the way most of us drive even cruising on the highway, your mileage would be a little lower.I would not hesitate to get the car just because it might get a couple less miles per gallon than you thought it might, very few cars perform this well and get this good gas mileage.
The cars do take premium, you can run them on regular theoretically, but if you want to get the maximum rated horsepower and torque you need to use premium. The owner's manual is a bit confusing on this topic, because in one place it says to use regular, but when it reports the rated horsepower and torque figures, it does it on premium gas. If you're going to get the car plan to use premium gas, there's no point in buying a fairly high performance car like this and then handicapping it with regular.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Ford made a mistake in calculating gas mileage for all its 2014 cars and had to issue revised ratings. There is no difference in the cars or the real world fuel economy; just the ratings that were published in 2014, which were wrong.

The Fiesta ST will reach its highest performance with premium fuel, but it can run regular unleaded without any problem. That's what we run in ours. We took it on a road trip this weekend and I noted that on the fuel economy calculator in the dashboard it is at 34.7 mpg for the entire 20500 miles we've had it, and over the last 2000 miles it's at 42 mpg (a lot of highway driving in the last 2000 miles).

dhminer

2000 Post Club
They're identical regardless of year. The changes that ford made over the years won't impact mileage.

You don't HAVE to run premium, the ecu is smart and will retard timing to compensate for low octane. You'll likely get worse gas mileage on 87 and will no doubt get flamed on the forum for putting anything less than premium.

Just for comparison on a 2014 ST ...

UK on 97 to 99 Ron fuel I average low to mid 40s. On a run on motorways at 70 to 75mph and a light throttle t will happily return mid 50s.

On the very very rare occasion I've run it on E5 95Ron fuel its a good 10 to 15% worse.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just for comparison on a 2014 ST ...

UK on 97 to 99 Ron fuel I average low to mid 40s. On a run on motorways at 70 to 75mph and a light throttle t will happily return mid 50s.

On the very very rare occasion I've run it on E5 95Ron fuel its a good 10 to 15% worse.
Imperial gallons are about 1.2 US gallons.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I average around 30 miles per gallon, but I do drive fairly aggressive.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Ebfootball139, its a real "your mileage may vary car". For my 2016 I've done 38 on looong highway drives on 87, barely 20 with an on a day that included agressive autocrossing on 93, and this month did 35 mpg on 87 commuting on backroads to work (just to see what I could get). So it is very boost, tire, and driver dependent.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Ok cool. That helps and is kinda what I figured. If I get one I will run premium.

Thanks,
Eric
If the engine is stock, it will run fine on regular. Premium is worth about 10 more hp at the wheels.
If you're like most of us, you'll eventually give it a tune, and then you'll want to just use premium.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYsZFu3pmIA

Imperial gallons are about 1.2 US gallons.
So US 38mpg / 45 mpg.

However at your gas prices you're still significantly better off. If we were paying what you do I'd be driving something with 8 cylinders clubbing baby seals to death with every polluting breath from the loudest exhaust possible. Figuratively speaking of course :)

PhoenixM3

Hello everyone,

thanks
It’s a mistake. I’ve had a ‘15, ‘17, and now ‘18 and the mileage has been the same. I also had a ‘12 peasant Fiesta (no turbo) and that routinely got 40MPG.