Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2016 FiST Dyno Run (Stock vs Livernois Motorsports) - 219whp / 277tq

LILIKE16ST

The op picked up almost 15 HP and 38-39 torque with his 91 tune. The op in the thread about this tune picked up 18 whp and 65 wtq on Livernois dyno and that was with a dyno tune on 93. I can see why the numbers are a little different I just don't see this huge difference in power gained somone else in here mentioned am I missing something here?

me32

1000 Post Club
The op picked up almost 15 HP and 38-39 torque with his 91 tune. The op in the thread about this tune picked up 18 whp and 65 wtq on Livernois dyno and that was with a dyno tune on 93. I can see why the numbers are a little different I just don't see this huge difference in power gained somone else in here mentioned am I missing something here?
Different dynos, different weather conditions, different cars, difference in octane in gas. All of those play a huge factor in difference in hp/tq numbers.

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #23
For what it's worth, Livernois also tuned that car at their facility, so it's hard to compare a remote tune to that. I think we had also confirmed that my car was suffering from heat soak after the first 2 pulls. I now have my FMIC installed as well as catback exhaust so I hope to go back in the next few weeks.

me32

1000 Post Club
They also tuned it at their facility as well. So it's hard to compare a remote tune to that. I think we had also confirmed that my car was suffering from heat soak after the first 2 pulls. I now have my FMIC installed as well as catback exhaust so I hope to go back in the next few weeks.

I look forward to you next dyno session. Its providing great information for all of us.

fST

They also tuned it at their facility as well. So it's hard to compare a remote tune to that. I think we had also confirmed that my car was suffering from heat soak after the first 2 pulls. I now have my FMIC installed as well as catback exhaust so I hope to go back in the next few weeks.
Exactly why I asked my question in the other thread about getting dyno tuned from them but they said it wouldn't be worth it as there would only be maybe another 5hp and tq gained from it (IIRC).

Looking forward to seeing another dyno graph update from you.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

LILIKE16ST

People seem very skeptical when it comes to this tune for some reason. It seems like if anyone else makes gains it doesn't get questioned much but livernois motorsports get the third degree on this. Its like everyone is trying to fond reasons not to like their tune or reasons to doubt it and I'm not sure why. They're not some no named upstart they have been consistantly tuning all the ecoboost cars for more power than basically everyone else since the SHO Taurus came out in 2009 why should the fiesta st be any different? You should see some of the gains the other cars get. 100+ HP and torque to the wheels on a stock vehicle. They didn't get near that on the FiST because this turbo is tiny and near maxed but the power gain is very noticable. Especially considering the size and weight of the car. there's a lot more to it than just what the peak to peak gains say on some dyno. This tune has stock like drivability that is buttery smooth. It has big gains through the entire curve ecspecially low and middle but it even pulls harder up top it truly is amazing. I am definitely a believer. I don't have dyno numbers on mine yet but hope to sooner than later. All I can say is its night and day. Its so so so much better then stock. I'm thinking about putting the stock tune back on just to see how terrible it is but I can't seem to part with this tune long enough to do so. Its that much better. All of the proof is there guys....I understand doing your research and making sure you make the right choice, Lord knows I did enough of it myself, but the thing is several people are now running this tune there is more than one dyno back to back and there's more than one person who switched from stratified (one of the better tuners) to LMS and both prefer the LMS more on both drivability and power especially past 5k rpm. And this is compared to one of the better tunes out there. Actually the op of this very thread has tried Cobb stage 1, Randy's tune from mountune and the stratified and he prefers this one over the rest. These guys know their stuff. They know the ecoboost cars and how to tune them to bring out the best in them. They can get within 2% gain of their dyno tunes with their remote tune which is remarkable. No need to data log when its right to begin with. I think people need to stop trying to find reasons to discredit LMS and start giving them the credit they deserve. The proof is in the pudding its out there. I know I made the right choice. Good luck to anyone else trying yo decide.

LILIKE16ST

Oh I'm with you completely I was saying that I did not see a huge difference in the numbers like someone else in here was indicating. They were basically saying the difference in the op of that thread and the op of this threads numbers were way different and was asking why I was saying I didn't see all that big of a discrepancy.

LILIKE16ST

Different dynos, different weather conditions, different cars, difference in octane in gas. All of those play a huge factor in difference in hp/tq numbers.
I know all that plays a roll I was referring to someone in here saying there was a huge difference between the gains of these two different cars running the lms tune I was saying I don't see a huge difference especially with all things considered.

LILIKE16ST

Sorry for the confusion I should have quoted the comment I was referring to so there wasn't confusion. I love that you are doing these dyno sessions and comparing before and after and mod for mod and all that with this livernois tune I hope it silences the hatred and disbeleivers and LMS starts getting the credit they deserve. I been running their 93 tune since 2800 miles and I'm now at over 5800 and I absolutely love it power is great. I am going to get mine dynoed asap and hopefully a before and after as well money is kind of tight at the moment but as soon as things clear up some on that front here soon I hope to follow suit. Thanks to you for all the effort it really solidifies what I been trying to tell people by giving hard numbers not just my butt dyno results haha

me32

1000 Post Club
I know all that plays a roll I was referring to someone in here saying there was a huge difference between the gains of these two different cars running the lms tune I was saying I don't see a huge difference especially with all things considered.

Sorry if i miss understood what you were saying the 1st time.

fST

Oh I'm with you completely I was saying that I did not see a huge difference in the numbers like someone else in here was indicating. They were basically saying the difference in the op of that thread and the op of this threads numbers were way different and was asking why I was saying I didn't see all that big of a discrepancy.
Ahh, so you were referring to me. I was confused by what you were saying too.

Yes, in my opinion, you're missing something. You're referring to only the peak to peak gain difference. The biggest difference that I'm mainly referring to is in the difference between the under the curve gains between this one and the other one. Although, even the peak to peak gain differences in tq is decent at 25 ft/lb. The under the curve gains in the original car tuned at LMS on a dyno was 41hp and 81tq. The OP here in this thread only got less than HALF of that!

Now, a couple of other things I want to add. I'm not sure why you are seemingly getting defensive of LMS for my questions and observations. Ever since I came across that Livernois tune thread, I've been highly intrigued and 99% leaning towards Livernois over Cobb's AP for tuning. I would actually have the Livernois tuning device that Offthewall purchased but I had waited until I actually purchased my FiST, which was enough time for offthewall to snatch it away from me lol (no animosity towards offthewall at all by the way...it's my own fault).

The lack of dyno tune, the lack of 93 octane makes a little bit of a difference but according to LMS, not that much at all, which is why I asked LMS on their thoughts on the OP's dyno. The OP and I believe LMS both mentioned the limited time between pulls and the heatsoak from having a stock IC. OK, that pretty much satisfied me as an answer to my question (although, the original LMS tune was supposingly also completely stock, with the stock IC, so I guess the main difference might have been the limited time between pulls). Different parts of the country where one is hotter than the other probably contributes much to the difference as well.

Yes, it's still a big difference for just a tune for the OP of this thread. It's awesome. But my honest questions to LMS is because they claim "Gains of over 41hp and 81tq on your otherwise stock vehicle". I think I asked a legitimate question in my mind. The couple of others who have dynoed their cars didn't get quite the gains as the original car either. That's why I also asked about dyno tuning to see if that would give the best chance of getting close to the original car's gains.

Again, I agree this seems to be the best option in tuning, it seems like it may even be on par with custom tuning (does everyone feel that's true?). LMS looks to be like 8 hours away. I'm even still thinking about going there and getting it dyno tuned anyway just to squeeze some more out of it.

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #32
I completely forgot also that I had forgotten to turn off the traction control while on the dyno. Livernois told me it's supposed to be turned off, for best results. Is that enough to make up for the difference compared to their dyno tuned car? I'll make sure this gets done during my next dyno session.

[MENTION=2672]fST[/MENTION] - I believe their claim of 41hp and 81tq is max gains while peak gains were roughly half. Here's a quick little explanation about max vs peak gains.

https://www.summitracing.com/expertadviceandnews/professoroverdrive/answer/3545

SummitRacing said:
Peak HP gains are measured at the RPM level that the stock motor made it's highest horsepower. Max HP gains are measured at the RPM level with the greatest gain over stock.
There are a few tuners that claim max/peak numbers as well. Is it cheating? No, because the numbers are "technically" correct. The idea with max gains is how much of it is useable in the powerband. Or maybe I'm getting it mixed up. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

For what it's worth also, I'm trying to be as impartial as possible and simply posting my impressions and dyno numbers because I don't want to claim anything without the facts to back it up. I haven't been paid or coerced by Livernois in any way to share my findings.

fST

I completely forgot also that I had forgotten to turn off the traction control while on the dyno. Livernois told me it's supposed to be turned off, for best results.

I'll make sure this gets done during my next dyno session.
Ahh, OK, that's good to know! I wonder how much of a difference that made as well!

fST

For what it's worth, Livernois also tuned that car at their facility, so it's hard to compare a remote tune to that.
However, LMS is still claiming "Gains of over 41hp and 81tq on your otherwise stock vehicle" and that dyno tuning at their facility usually only differs by 2-3%.

I think we had also confirmed that my car was suffering from heat soak after the first 2 pulls. I now have my FMIC installed as well as catback exhaust so I hope to go back in the next few weeks.
The original LMS tuned car was stock, although different weather conditions/heat could still be one of the main reasons for the difference, on top of the few others mentioned (octane, not dyno tuned, T/C on).

fST

[MENTION=2672]fST[/MENTION] - I believe their claim of 41hp and 81tq is max gains while peak gains were roughly half. Here's a quick little explanation about max vs peak gains.

There are a few tuners that claim max/peak numbers as well. Is it cheating? No, because the numbers are "technically" correct. The idea with max gains is how much of it is useable in the powerband. Or maybe I'm getting it mixed up. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I already completely understand what they mean. And you received half of that under the curve or max gain. Your peak gains look to have been roughly the same as your max gains, or under the curve gains. That was the reason for my initial observation and question to LMS in this thread that LiLike is referring to...

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #36
Their gains claim seems a little too good to be true, I agree. After installing my FMIC, I flashed back to stock then back to the 91 octane map they sent me. I'm hoping driving on it for a few weeks will allow it to learn and "adapt" to my upgrades. All I can do is get it dyno'd and cross my fingers. I'm trying to be as honest and transparent as possible.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I completely forgot also that I had forgotten to turn off the traction control while on the dyno. Livernois told me it's supposed to be turned off, for best results. Is that enough to make up for the difference compared to their dyno tuned car? I'll make sure this gets done during my next dyno session.

For what it's worth also, I'm trying to be as impartial as possible and simply posting my impressions and dyno numbers because I don't want to claim anything without the facts to back it up. I haven't been paid or coerced by Livernois in any way to share my findings.
You can't dyno with TCS on due to the rear wheel speeds being zero.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #38
Welp, I dyno'd with TCS on. Afterwards there were DTC's for rear wheel speed sensors which makes since given what you said. I cleared them and it hasn't been an issue since.

So because of this, are my numbers totally invalidated now? Did I potentially mess something up? Does having the TCS on make a drastic difference on output? [MENTION=930]dyn085[/MENTION]

dyn085

2000 Post Club
No, all it would do is cut power and apply brakes. You may have started with TCS on but there's possible way you would finish with it on and have numbers.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #40
All I know is that I didn't turn it off prior to making some pulls, and neither did the technician that did the pulls on the dyno (to my knowledge).

So to clarify, it should be OFF correct?