Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2017 ST running like a bag of spanner’s whilst wanting to be a smoke machine

DmEngineering

Military Veteran
Hi all,
I am new to the forum and indeed to st ownership.
Really could use some advice from you guys that know your field. I got the car with a misfire on cylinders 1 and 4. Oxygen sensor failure on bank 1 and it rattled and banged like a stone in an empty biscuit tin!
The car is a 2017 with 39k on the clock. So far I have cured the misfire by changing the plugs and a new o2 sensor fitted. I have no eml or codes stored, yet the car is hesitant on acceleration/stuttering, but does build boost. On high revs I get some blue smoke from the rear end.
The computer tells me that bank 1 o2 is above voltage limits, running about 1.48v, cylinder 1 seems to have heavy oil contamination on the old and new plugs.
There is no evidence of oil in the plug wells, as in seeping from a rocker gasket. Again what I would say is heavy oil in the intake pipes/pcv pipes (rocker cover to crossover pipe)….. is this normal?
unfortunately I haven’t been able to a compression test as still waiting for the adaptor to my compression tester. I will update when it arrives in a couple of days.

Does anyone have any idea what the issues could be or if I am missing something simple? 🤷‍♂️

As always, any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks
Dunc

Sounds like the seals for the turbo. My wife had a Saab that did this and even though it made full boost the entire intake system was full of oil and in her cars case cylinder 4 took in most of the oil. It made a heck of smoke show on hard acceleration. Glad to to be rid of that car it always needed something but I should have expected that being a General Motors engineered Saab lol. Hope your problem gets resolved as I have a 2017 ST with 73,000 miles and going strong.

OP
D

DmEngineering

Military Veteran
Thread Starter #3
Sounds like the seals for the turbo. My wife had a Saab that did this and even though it made full boost the entire intake system was full of oil and in her cars case cylinder 4 took in most of the oil. It made a heck of smoke show on hard acceleration. Glad to to be rid of that car it always needed something but I should have expected that being a General Motors engineered Saab lol. Hope your problem gets resolved as I have a 2017 ST with 73,000 miles and going strong.
Thanks for the reply, I will keep that mind, need to get the compression test done first and go from there. I am hoping it’s anything external to the block or head, I wouldn’t have expected stem seals or rings at 39k hence why we targeted this low mileage car.
I will update further if I find out more, for now it’s rebuild again so I can move it to the ramps, where this car seems to have taken a liken to stay.

I second the comment on turbo seals, just because of the blue smoke. Don't forget to check out the coil packs. These FiST's are known for getting heavy oil residue in the intercooler piping and occasionally in the intake tract, lots of blowby from the pcv system occurs. Also, these engines DO NOT LIKE being driven short distances because of the direct injection system. Pull the injectors and check to see if you can even see the pindle holes on the injectors, all of them. At 50k, one of my injectors was almost fully clogged. Oh ya, valve stem seals could be faulty.

Pickup Techron+ fuel system cleaner. Do it every oil change and the injectors will stay pretty peachy.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
D

DmEngineering

Military Veteran
Thread Starter #6
I second the comment on turbo seals, just because of the blue smoke. Don't forget to check out the coil packs. These FiST's are known for getting heavy oil residue in the intercooler piping and occasionally in the intake tract, lots of blowby from the pcv system occurs. Also, these engines DO NOT LIKE being driven short distances because of the direct injection system. Pull the injectors and check to see if you can even see the pindle holes on the injectors, all of them. At 50k, one of my injectors was almost fully clogged. Oh ya, valve stem seals could be faulty.

Pickup Techron+ fuel system cleaner. Do it every oil change and the injectors will stay pretty peachy.

Thanks for the advice, once the compression test is done 🤞that’s all good, I will pull the turbo and do the seals. The air pipes are in my opinion heavily coated with oil, so will strip and clean these up. I will have a look at the injectors as you say.
Do you know if it is worth changing the pcv? I don’t see much benefit to it as being a simple flap valve, it should in theory work or not. When running up today to get it back on my ramps, I took the oil filler cap off, sat lose on top, I get the dancing cap, do these motors normally have such high crankcase pressure coming back?
I am now starting to understand why they are called ecobooms now.
Cheers all

OP
D

DmEngineering

Military Veteran
Thread Starter #7
^^^The Red Line SI-1 and Gumout Regane work as well (both have high concentrations of PEA, as does the Techron+ 'original'). [wink]
Thanks, will pick some up for when (hopefully not if) this problem is fixed and run it through.

the "ecoboom" moniker most likely comes from the 2.3 Ecoboost model. Some 1.6's have gone boom on the forum but, you can count them on 2 hands. Those 2.3 engines have issues left and right. My brother swapped one into his 240sx, tons of issues just from the engine itself. Went boom after 3 months and 2 track days. Bought another one and same thing. Both times were connecting rod issues shooting through the block. Then again he drifts the damn thing.

As far as the pcv valve goes, if the oil came out without a gas smell, it should be working fine. If the oil is nearly like water, then most likely gas is seeping into the oil system because of a stuck open PCV. But you're right it is a simple open/close valve. Overfilling the gas tank causes issues for the PCV.