Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2022+ GR86 / BRZ Discussion

OP
CSM

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #21
It felt very well balanced and confidence inspiring. This is my first RWD car that I've had on track, and even if it did start to step out just a little bit, it was easy to correct. It was also easy to start pushing the car more and more throughout the day in and out of corners without fear of wiping out. If there was any flaw, it could start to push/understeer a little bit in the corners occasionally, but that should be easily fixed by a more track focused alignment. The seats, and I can't believe I'm saying this might be better to me than the ST's Recaro's. And I loved those Recaro's. I have the limited with the Alcantara interior, they held me in well.

The engine has a lot of character to match the car now. There's plenty of torque for daily driving, even passing at highways speeds in sixth gear. And it revs so quick, I keep hitting the engine cutoff because I'm not used to it. Fuel mileage on track was decent, we did four sessions both days and by the third I was left with about a quarter of tank. And that's a full tank of gas with an hour drive to the track. I usually fill up to avoid any chance of fuel starvation.

The Michelins I am very impressed with. There were a few times where they got a little bit slippery on me, but overall for 20 minute sessions they held up incredibly well. I was coming from Falken RT660's from the Fiesta over to the PS4's and I didn't feel the immediate need for more grip. I'll upgrade at some point, but for now the Michelins are surprisingly good enough.

Even just on errands it's a blast. On track compared to the Fiesta it's much more comfortable to drive when driving towards the limit. If the stock pads weren't toast on the first day, I would've beat my fastest laps in the ST easily. So ya I love the car a lot and I'm going to stop now because I'll just keep running on.
Similar to my experience when I got my FRS. In the twisties, the FRS is just so much more enjoyable given its sports car platform.

Talking to a dealer on Monday who has a GR86 Premium in White coming in February.

PhoenixM3

I'm in love with what they've done with the second gen. Unfortunately, I suspect the insurance costs are going to be pretty bad and I also live at an altitude where it would lose about 20% of that naturally aspirated goodness.

If I ever get to sea level again it'll be the first car I get.
My concern too. I’m above 7K ft and wonder how much fun will be sucked out of a NA car. My GT350R rips pretty good stock, but that has double the HP. On the other hand, there will be turbo kits for the GT86/BRZ twins soon enough. I want to keep buying American, but sadly there’s no small fun cars left.....

Business6

My concern too. I’m above 7K ft and wonder how much fun will be sucked out of a NA car. My GT350R rips pretty good stock, but that has double the HP. On the other hand, there will be turbo kits for the GT86/BRZ twins soon enough. I want to keep buying American, but sadly there’s no small fun cars left.....
Ouch, 7k+? I've driven up at those altitudes before and even with a turbo it sucks major ass. Sorry man, you don't have an easy decision here :(

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I test drove a new '22 today, and a used '19 w/performance pack. I cannot speak enough to how much better the new one is, the shifter, the response, the driving dynamics. Its very similar to a Fiesta in some ways, but its just slightly more engaging and the interior is pretty nice.

I am ordering one :)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes, again, it perplexes me as to how and why these are not FLYING off of dealer lots by the thousands, despite whatever 'lack of power' everyone complains about. [???:)]

ronmcdon

Yes, again, it perplexes me as to how and why these are not FLYING off of dealer lots by the thousands, despite whatever 'lack of power' everyone complains about. [???:)]
I really like the 86, but it's going to be hard sell I think for someone wanting it to be their only car. The size and 22mpg combined in particular make it less practical. The fiesta may be less fun than the 86 but it would actually make slightly more sense as an only car given how useful the space and reasonable the fuel economy is.

Also think when there is no auto transmission, or no good quality auto transmission option that makes it a harder sell. Really think the Fiesta ST would have sold better with a strong DCT option from the factory as it would reach a wider audience.

Finally I think auto enthusiasts are the worst customers. Always find something to complain about, particularly exterior design. Will often look at stats but seldom take the car out for a test drive. I don't envy auto manufacturers still trying to make it selling performance cars.

Last edited:

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I really like the 86, but it's going to be hard sell I think for someone wanting it to be their only car. The size and 22mpg combined in particular make it less practical. The fiesta may be less fun than the 86 but it would actually make slightly more sense as an only car given how useful the space and reasonable the fuel economy is.
I do mostly highway driving, and I'm averaging about 21mpg in the Veloster on a daily basis. The BRZ is SMALL, very very small, however its bigger than a Miata. The Fiesta makes more sense, unless you want a RWD driving experience.

Mikey456

Also think when there is no auto transmission, or no good quality auto transmission option that makes it a harder sell. Really think the Fiesta ST would have sold better with a strong DCT option from the factory as it would reach a wider audience.

Finally I think auto enthusiasts are the worst customers. Always find something to complain about, particularly exterior design. Will often look at stats but seldom take the car out for a test drive. I don't envy auto manufacturers still trying to make it selling performance cars.
I would probably fall probably fall in that camp of exterior design complainer. The new BRZ makes the first generation look like a much simpler design and I used to not like the first generation’s design. As for new designs I’m looking forward to seeing the new Corolla GR. From a performance stand point if we did not care about design we probably all be driving Civic Type Rs.

Business6

Enthusiasts for any given interest tend to be much more specific about what they're looking for but end up buying nothing at all. It's why new, affordable sports cars are all but dead.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

Absolutely on the whole only ride point. [thumb]

I personally would have gotten the FiST anyway, even if I could live with the size/impracticality of the 86, due to the whole Ford rally heritage/WRC thing.
(Albeit, there are a few crews using 86es in the 2WD classes of ARA rallying.)

Similar to my experience when I got my FRS. In the twisties, the FRS is just so much more enjoyable given its sports car platform.

Talking to a dealer on Monday who has a GR86 Premium in White coming in February.
Ya, that's the big thing going from the Fiesta over to the BRZ. As much as I love the FiST, the BRZ is a dedicated sports car. The pedals and shifter are placed perfect, the seating position feels almost on the ground. The FiST feels like a truck after driving the BRZ!

Wow, that surprises me a bit.
The two cars weigh about the same, and even with my tuned FiST the new BRZ is putting down about the same amount of horsepower to the wheels. So at that point the only advantage my Fiesta had was the Falken RT660's on it. And it's kind of hard to beat the overall "driving dynamics" of a proper RWD sports car for lack of a better word. I guess it makes some sense. I also tend to be going faster at the end of straights with the BRZ. I'm not sure if that's due to carrying more speed out of the corner or just having more top end power. Or maybe both.

I test drove a new '22 today, and a used '19 w/performance pack. I cannot speak enough to how much better the new one is, the shifter, the response, the driving dynamics. Its very similar to a Fiesta in some ways, but its just slightly more engaging and the interior is pretty nice.

Glad to see I'm not the only one! It really is a massive improvement. The engine is the biggest change, but there are so many other subtle improvements that really make this car way better than the last.

It's really making me consider my dealer's offer to buy my FiST for 17K, but I'm also worried I take the BRZ too far and it becomes undrivable on the street.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Glad to see I'm not the only one! It really is a massive improvement. The engine is the biggest change, but there are so many other subtle improvements that really make this car way better than the last.

It's really making me consider my dealer's offer to buy my FiST for 17K, but I'm also worried I take the BRZ too far and it becomes undrivable on the street.

I am actually going to be selling / trading in my Veloster N which I've had a little over a year. If I still had my Fiesta I probably would have ordered one when ordering opened instead of waiting, but I think its more of a lateral move from the Veloster. Definitely an upgrade from a FiST, especially if you are stock turbo.

OP
CSM

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #34
I think that demand is outstripping supply right now. Toyota doesn't have their ordering window open for the GR86, and Subaru just closed their ordering window for now due to excessive demand (or so my local dealer told me). Before their window closed they were quoting 6 months lead time for a BRZ. I think supply chains still struggling to catch up.

OP
CSM

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #35

Did you test drive a BRZ?

Did you already place an order? I'm still holding out for GR86. Wish Toyota would open up their ordering window :(

Also shoot me a message @MagnetiseST on your Veloster N if you want to do a private sale. I know quite a few people over here in NE Ohio and Pittsburgh area looking for one.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I just walked by a blue N parked in my development here.

I would love the looks of these if it weren't for the whole 3 door thing, and if they were a slight bit smaller in wheelbase/overall mass. [thumb] [wink]

ronmcdon

I just walked by a blue N parked in my development here.

I would love the looks of these if it weren't for the whole 3 door thing, and if they were a slight bit smaller in wheelbase/overall mass. [thumb] [wink]
thats why the Fiesta is really not such a bad choice in the end. also as a bonus it rotates a whole lot more effectively and understeers less than your typical fwd car.

you cant have it all in the end (well maybe if you can afford a gt3rs haha) but in terms of a well rounded only car its very hard to beat and at the very least a sensible choice.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Did you test drive a BRZ?

Did you already place an order? I'm still holding out for GR86. Wish Toyota would open up their ordering window :(

Also shoot me a message @MagnetiseST on your Veloster N if you want to do a private sale. I know quite a few people over here in NE Ohio and Pittsburgh area looking for one.
Sure did! I drove an ignition red 2022 limited, absolutely loved it. I think you'll find the 86s marked up more than the BRZs. I prefer the 86 front end though.

I will shoot you a message, if you know anyone looking to buy and they are willing to travel to FL to pick up the car i'd be happy to sell it privately.

OP
CSM

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #39
Sure did! I drove an ignition red 2022 limited, absolutely loved it. I think you'll find the 86s marked up more than the BRZs. I prefer the 86 front end though.

I will shoot you a message, if you know anyone looking to buy and they are willing to travel to FL to pick up the car i'd be happy to sell it privately.
Thanks. message sent back.

It's been my experience in my area both BRZ and 86s are marked up. I do have a subaru dealer ready to sell me a BRZ right now for MSRP. I can custom order too. But I much prefer the 86 front bumper. Haven't found a Toyota dealer getting the exact model I want yet (Premium trim, in Halo white and manual), that doesn't want at least a $5k markup. I'm going to call a dealer tmrw that my buddy got his 86 from for MSRP, and hope we can work out something.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thanks. message sent back.

It's been my experience in my area both BRZ and 86s are marked up. I do have a subaru dealer ready to sell me a BRZ right now for MSRP. I can custom order too. But I much prefer the 86 front bumper. Haven't found a Toyota dealer getting the exact model I want yet (Premium trim, in Halo white and manual), that doesn't want at least a $5k markup. I'm going to call a dealer tmrw that my buddy got his 86 from for MSRP, and hope we can work out something.
I actually just found a used 2022 with like 1300 miles on it for sale near me, just under MSRP. Its the exact spec I want, so I'm going to see about that car.