Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The noises on this car are killing me - video of gearbox clunk

So having the fiesta a week now (9000 miles on the car), every single damn day I'm paranoid with the noises on my car. I've literally had over 25 manual transmission cars... none of them to my knowledge EVER sounded this. I see threads on transmissions that have been replaced, throw out bearings, gear clunking, clunking related to the dual mass flywheel. I've had plenty of cars with dual mass flywheels before, they don't sound anything like this... If this is how the transmission is supposed to sound, its ridiculous. If the below 3 issues would go away, I'd love the car...

So I already posted the video of the mysterious sound at 1100rpms (which actually vibrates my wheel while turning/going in reverse) - every time I back out I notice it

I posted the creaking clutch - WTF ford, how did you not think that helper spring would fail - this is moderately annoying but inexcusable for a car less than a year old.

Now here are some gear clunking videos. Let me say this first - the car has NO issues shifting, very smooth. I don't hear any of these noises when I'm really on the gas. That said, these noises are heard randomly in regular driving... which is why its crazy annoying. If I have the radio, I don't really hear it, but when I do, I turn the radio down, and its all I think about my entire drive (because I just watn to know WTF my car is making that noise). At this point no doubt, I regret buying the car. The whole point of me getting a newer car was to avoid any issues. This gear clunk is like a noise DEEP in the transmission, its not linkage to my knowledge, its a solid clunk, and usually a double clunk (as soon as you push the clutch in, and sometimes when you let out. Whats messed up is you'll hear in the one video, I have the clutch pedal pressed down (neutral) - I'm going between 3rd and 4th, just moving the gear level. It clunks in 4th - never while downshifting, ever.... I wonder, is the RMM bad? But like I said theres no issues at higher rpms and when I'm on it.

All of this said, CAN"T WAIT to drop the car off at the dealer Monday morning. Luckily they have 3 brand new fiestas and I will literally drive them with the service manager and document the noises (I sure don't remember my new car test drives making these noises - but then again, I didn't notice all of these when I bought my car or I just brushed it off as me being unfamiliar with changing gears and what not on the FiST).

Build date of my car - 11/2013

First video - I'm going at low speed, 1st through 3rd. Keep in mind my phone has a sensitive microphone but its still very distinct if you were in the passenger seat with me.
[video=youtube_share;ZxgjSnMJArs]http://youtu.be/ZxgjSnMJArs[/video]

Second video - rowing from 3rd to 4th, while the clutch pedal is pressed down
[video=youtube_share;cwsE6qDdiJc]http://youtu.be/cwsE6qDdiJc[/video]

Welcome to Fiesta ST ownership. Mine clunks into 1st when trying to get up my driveway, clunks 1st to 2nd and even 2nd to 3rd. Also the squeaks creaks and groans that happen randomly or at certain rpm or hitting bumps suck. Really makes me want to strip the car from the front seats back. Oh and the moon roof slide rattles when it is in the retracted position. Also I get a weird click from my center console from time to time. Did I mention the odd thunk when driving over expansion joints. Oh and my guts have been rearranged a few times driving over bumpy pavement. And my stock brakes squeak when I am barely on them coming to a stop.

Still...getting sideways every morning on the same roundabout and once again on the 90 degree corner just before work...priceless!

OP
D
Thread Starter #3
So heres whats funny... Never clunks in first. Has no squeaks...no rattles during driving...its very tight.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Clicking brake they won't fix and if they do tell me what you told them because I'll say the exact same thing for mine.

And I have a rattle from my B pillar right beside my head. Dealership can never duplicate the noise. And my rear windshield wiper makes a noise over big bumps but I've figured out that the wiper base hitting off the back window. Also a noise the dealership can never duplicate.

That does not sound normal. That's a bad noise Dale.

Mine does a few weird clunks/noises I'll ask the dealer about when I take it in but overall the car is super solid so far (knocks wood) nothing like some of the others in this thread.

OP
D
Thread Starter #6
That does not sound normal. That's a bad noise Dale.

Mine does a few weird clunks/noises I'll ask the dealer about when I take it in but overall the car is super solid so far (knocks wood) nothing like some of the others in this thread.
Thanks for the comment Benito. Since I got frustrated and posted this Friday, I've tried to block it out while driving and either its a faint noise, or its not happening (radio turned on, just going about my business not trying to be paranoid). So I really don't know if its a problem or not... Maybe there just isn't much insulation around the transmission and by design, its noisy? Who knows.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
I noticed mine makes a clunking noise at times when I'm shifting at lower RPMs, but it's not as loud as yours.

OP
D
Thread Starter #8
I noticed mine makes a clunking noise at times when I'm shifting at lower RPMs, but it's not as loud as yours.
Probably the camera's microphone. Like I said, since Friday when this was really frustrating me, I haven't noticed it as much.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Here are my .02 cents I had the clunk and other noise before and after I swapped in the LSD to my gearbox. So I had it open and saw nothing amiss but some clunky gear levers and it is part of the cars charm I guess.. (NOT) So after putting the trans back in and getting used to the added sounds the LSD makes (which I no longer hear without listening for them as Quaife UK says it is normal). Ok enough of me..
After I broke in the LSD in the trans I swapped out the fluid with a motul 300 75w90 flavor and notice it is less moisy and shifts smoother.. Though the LSD maker says any fuild and Ford says the thin stuff I find this works very well and for me I am willing to put up with less noise at the possible cost of wear in the gear box. though I am not sure what will wear.. I had the same issues with my 2011 GT and the China gearbox and their choice of fluid. Just my .02cents now YMMV

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Wow my gears dont sound like that, mine is just a clack when the synchros connect when shifting but I guess its normal. This just sounds bad.

I bought my car new and it has always clucked the exact same way, I hate it, It stressed me out. I bought this as a "fun play" car to mod, but I now have no desire to touch the powertrain in fear that it's going to break and I know ford wouldn't cover it(have been modding cars for years and a dealer has never fixed one of my modded cars under warranty.) I feel the same way as you, the car is trash and I'd like to get rid of it because I doubt it's reliability. It's such a fun little car, I just hate reading stories about people already having to replace a trans or motor(reminds me of my early Subaru days =/ )

OP
D
Thread Starter #12
I bought my car new and it has always clucked the exact same way, I hate it, It stressed me out. I bought this as a "fun play" car to mod, but I now have no desire to touch the powertrain in fear that it's going to break and I know ford wouldn't cover it(have been modding cars for years and a dealer has never fixed one of my modded cars under warranty.) I feel the same way as you, the car is trash and I'd like to get rid of it because I doubt it's reliability. It's such a fun little car, I just hate reading stories about people already having to replace a trans or motor(reminds me of my early Subaru days =/ )
So this is why I started this thread... if the transmission is just loud (who knows why) - then I can accept it... as weird as that is (25+ cars never had a car with those gear shifting noises). The past copule days, I've tried to just say F IT, and enjoy the car, and I've actually really enjoyed it. The clunking becomes more muted when I'm not listening for it (in normal driving with the radio up, I never hear it... in fact it sounds considerably different than the videos) - maybe I've gotten smoother with precise clutch/gas behavior.

That said, these type of things are things you NEVER hear from reviews and the like.... and I feel its important others know.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
So this is why I started this thread... if the transmission is just loud (who knows why) - then I can accept it... as weird as that is (25+ cars never had a car with those gear shifting noises). The past copule days, I've tried to just say F IT, and enjoy the car, and I've actually really enjoyed it. The clunking becomes more muted when I'm not listening for it (in normal driving with the radio up, I never hear it... in fact it sounds considerably different than the videos) - maybe I've gotten smoother with precise clutch/gas behavior.

That said, these type of things are things you NEVER hear from reviews and the like.... and I feel its important others know.

Thanks for everyone's replies.
Mine has had this secondary clunk after shifting from day one and I'm at 6950 miles now with no issues because of it. Your videos seem to make the noise much louder than mine. Is that because of the cameras mic or is yours really that loud?
I have gotten used to it in mine and it doesn't bother me anymore. I figure, if it's gonna break, it will break. So I don't worry about it. Every new car I have ever had, had something that would eventually concern me at some point. Also, you have to watch it with how you worry about issues that people on forums have...it can make you paranoid about your car and even make you not like it because you will be always worried about it breaking. You have to realize that forums consist of a small portion of buyers and people tend to post more about the bad than good when it comes to vehicle problems.

cxwrench

Really? Your car is still working and hasn't 'broken' yet, right? So you're condemning it as trash and want to get rid of it even though nothing has happened? Do you ever look at any other car forums? There are ALWAYS people who's car makes noise, or think their car makes noise. Sometimes it's legitimate, many times it's people just not being used to their new car and stressing out.

I'm still blown away you're saying it's trash just because it's making a noise even if it's functioning as designed. Have you had it back to the dealer or had someone familiar w/ the car take a look at it?

As for dale's car, I'm not sure it's not normal and just sounds loud because he's shifting at such low rpm. And then in the second video the motor is at idle and he's pulling the shifter in and out of gear. I've driven manual cars for 35 years. Raced shifter karts, motorcycles, and auto crossed. I know how to shift. My car sounds similar at crazy low rpm like that. The linkage is a little clunky at low rpm. It all disappears when shifting at say 3500 or above. I'm no car mechanic, but I wouldn't be able to have an opinion unless you post another video showing what it sounds like at more normal rpm. If you're worried, see what Ford has to say.

OP
D
Thread Starter #15
Ive gotten over it for now... It seems like a character of the car. In normal driving its not that bad.

Good news is dealer is replacing my clutch pedal assembly to fix the creak.

OP
D
Thread Starter #17
The problem kip... Is unless its a revised part...it will start creaking again.

OP
D
Thread Starter #19
I didnt say anything. I didnt even request it. Their trans guy tried to lube it...that didnt work... He knew it shouldnt sound like that so he ordered a new assembly. Whenyou think about it though... Why would they not order it? Its warrantied work and the dealer makes money off of the labor.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I didnt say anything. I didnt even request it. Their trans guy tried to lube it...that didnt work... He knew it shouldnt sound like that so he ordered a new assembly. Whenyou think about it though... Why would they not order it? Its warrantied work and the dealer makes money off of the labor.
I'm definitely taking mine back then. I showed the guy and everything and all he said was, "it's suppose to sound like that."

To be honest, the rattles and clutch are the only thing I hate about this car. I'm OCD to the max so I hear everything. Once those issues get taken care I'll have nothing to complain about. Ha.