Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2J-Racing Cowl Induction Intake

Trader history for joe@2j-racing (0)

I think we have all proven that we have a little tween inside of us. Look at all these grown men (including myself) all impatient and giddy about this thing. I feel like Im waiting on Christmas.
Kinda nice to have something this off the wall be available before the Focus has one. We usually get the leftovers

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
My cents/sense.
#1 and I really need everyone to keep this in mind... Like the cyborg turbo or hate it, its a different animal than the stock turbo. I was very surprised in how much the car needed tuned for it, because it is a good size change. But this is an intake review, not a shameless plug, lol. But I wanted to make it clear that everyone maybe not find what I have, being the difference in turbo.

Fitment, and what's included:
I like what's in the box. Filter is small, but who are we kidding, we knew it was gonna be small, look in the space it fits in (its not a choice ). Clamps..... What clamps? Didn't come with hose clamps. I had to reuse the stock hose clamps from my stock intake. Hose clamps are cheap. And the cheapest ones would have been extremely effective, because..... It fits fantastic !!! Not everyone knows what it takes to fab something like this, and even looking at it, it doesn't look very special. It is. The space it has to deal with, and the angles and size of the tubes, means it has to be right. And.... Mine was def right. Now.... During install, you may think "mine is not right, it can't be this tight", while your trying to get it in. I thought that, lol. Once its on, and you see how well it fits, and has room for adjustment ( my personal cyborg intake was tilted a few degrees backwards on purpose when it was built with the idea that I was going to be fabbing an intake like this some day ). It adjusted beautifully, and I'm sure it will fit a stock intake even better. The fittings and hoses that came with it are spot on. Perfect sizing. My one tiny little gripe that I'm likely wrong about is... The big hose for the valve cover breather, it pulls vacuum. For a hose the pulls vacuum, it folds in very easily. Not sure it wouldn't cave in when vacuum is applied. But... How much valve it sees? I don't know... I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. The fittings welded to the pipe seem more than upto the task, and they are sturdy. The maf adaptor didn't look like the threads in it that hold the sensor in ( torx screws ) were the correct thread. Maybe they were.... Either way, I threaded them in and felt good and tight, and secure, no worries there either.

I am extremely happy with fitment. It beat my expectations, honestly.

Sights and SOUNDS.
Its fucking loud. It is. Its loud. Joe told me it was loud 10 months ago. I told you guys it was gonna be loud. Its loud. I have a loud catback and a catless downpipe. Its louder. Its loud. Its nearly silent at idle ( remember, I don't have a stock turbo ). Drive slow, maybe flip an eco mod on and it could be just a little loud. Drive the way I drive ? Its loud. The cyborg spools with much more "control" vs a stock turbo. Mine is loud. It goes from being one of those little jet engine powered bikes to full on Atlanta airport run way loud if I matte the throttle open. It screams. Oddly, once the turbo is making 25-26psi, it quiets down ( but its loud ). My car already made BOV sounds. Just a side effect of the cyborg and large inlet. But now.... Its full on Greddy BOV on a 2nd gen DSM loud, lol.

Performance:
I thought the new intake would be a game charger for the cyborg. I have not looked at the logs, and its so hot outside right now, i'm cooling off typing this before I look into the datalogs. That being said... Its had the exact effect I had hoped it would on the spool and boost of the cyborg. The car has increased 1-1.5psi peak boost with no changes in tune. Without seeing the logs.. I can't speak for much else "apples to apples". But generally, when its 86 degrees outside like right now, I see about 25.5-26psi. I saw 27.5~psi with no tune change at all. The difference this makes across the powerband is yet to be seen and cooler weather it required for my logs to be comparable ( give me a couple days, but I will have some data tonight as well ). Ok... Here is the thing... Just like a bone stock exhaust, swapped for a catless big exhaust system, you have to think and believe that you gained something. Did you ? Hard to say.... Why is it hard to really say? The sounds the car makes just completely changed, and if you think your butt dyno can compensate for this level of DB sound level change, your wrong. It can't. Only logs and V-dynos, and real dyno's will truely tell us. Same is true for me. Sorry, but this is a "stay tuned" paragraph :) initial results.... Yea.... Its gonna be a game changer for the cybrog at least. Just realize... When you guys are at 6000rpm and 14psi, I'm at 6,000rpm and 27psi. So.... My air feed requirements in the upper rpms are much different. Which is why I was so excited over this. I hope it translates to the stock turbo, and i believe it will, but maybe on a lesser scale.

$162 shipped? Worth it every single day of the hour !!! Lol.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Seems like the throttle response is quick
That's mostly tuning and E45 fuel, lol. But yea... Its not slow spooling really at all. Sometimes the data in black and white is a little miss-leading to how it feels in the real world. On the flipside.... I made 354ft lbs of torque on the stock turbo at 2800rpm, lol.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
My cents/sense.
#1 and I really need everyone to keep this in mind... Like the cyborg turbo or hate it, its a different animal than the stock turbo. I was very surprised in how much the car needed tuned for it, because it is a good size change. But this is an intake review, not a shameless plug, lol. But I wanted to make it clear that everyone maybe not find what I have, being the difference in turbo.

Fitment, and what's included:
I like what's in the box. Filter is small, but who are we kidding, we knew it was gonna be small, look in the space it fits in (its not a choice ). Clamps..... What clamps? Didn't come with hose clamps. I had to reuse the stock hose clamps from my stock intake. Hose clamps are cheap. And the cheapest ones would have been extremely effective, because..... It fits fantastic !!! Not everyone knows what it takes to fab something like this, and even looking at it, it doesn't look very special. It is. The space it has to deal with, and the angles and size of the tubes, means it has to be right. And.... Mine was def right. Now.... During install, you may think "mine is not right, it can't be this tight", while your trying to get it in. I thought that, lol. Once its on, and you see how well it fits, and has room for adjustment ( my personal cyborg intake was tilted a few degrees backwards on purpose when it was built with the idea that I was going to be fabbing an intake like this some day ). It adjusted beautifully, and I'm sure it will fit a stock intake even better. The fittings and hoses that came with it are spot on. Perfect sizing. My one tiny little gripe that I'm likely wrong about is... The big hose for the valve cover breather, it pulls vacuum. For a hose the pulls vacuum, it folds in very easily. Not sure it wouldn't cave in when vacuum is applied. But... How much valve it sees? I don't know... I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. The fittings welded to the pipe seem more than upto the task, and they are sturdy. The maf adaptor didn't look like the threads in it that hold the sensor in ( torx screws ) were the correct thread. Maybe they were.... Either way, I threaded them in and felt good and tight, and secure, no worries there either.

I am extremely happy with fitment. It beat my expectations, honestly.

Sights and SOUNDS.
Its fucking loud. It is. Its loud. Joe told me it was loud 10 months ago. I told you guys it was gonna be loud. Its loud. I have a loud catback and a catless downpipe. Its louder. Its loud. Its nearly silent at idle ( remember, I don't have a stock turbo ). Drive slow, maybe flip an eco mod on and it could be just a little loud. Drive the way I drive ? Its loud. The cyborg spools with much more "control" vs a stock turbo. Mine is loud. It goes from being one of those little jet engine powered bikes to full on Atlanta airport run way loud if I matte the throttle open. It screams. Oddly, once the turbo is making 25-26psi, it quiets down ( but its loud ). My car already made BOV sounds. Just a side effect of the cyborg and large inlet. But now.... Its full on Greddy BOV on a 2nd gen DSM loud, lol.

Performance:
I thought the new intake would be a game charger for the cyborg. I have not looked at the logs, and its so hot outside right now, i'm cooling off typing this before I look into the datalogs. That being said... Its had the exact effect I had hoped it would on the spool and boost of the cyborg. The car has increased 1-1.5psi peak boost with no changes in tune. Without seeing the logs.. I can't speak for much else "apples to apples". But generally, when its 86 degrees outside like right now, I see about 25.5-26psi. I saw 27.5~psi with no tune change at all. The difference this makes across the powerband is yet to be seen and cooler weather it required for my logs to be comparable ( give me a couple days, but I will have some data tonight as well ). Ok... Here is the thing... Just like a bone stock exhaust, swapped for a catless big exhaust system, you have to think and believe that you gained something. Did you ? Hard to say.... Why is it hard to really say? The sounds the car makes just completely changed, and if you think your butt dyno can compensate for this level of DB sound level change, your wrong. It can't. Only logs and V-dynos, and real dyno's will truely tell us. Same is true for me. Sorry, but this is a "stay tuned" paragraph :) initial results.... Yea.... Its gonna be a game changer for the cybrog at least. Just realize... When you guys are at 6000rpm and 14psi, I'm at 6,000rpm and 27psi. So.... My air feed requirements in the upper rpms are much different. Which is why I was so excited over this. I hope it translates to the stock turbo, and i believe it will, but maybe on a lesser scale.

$162 shipped? Worth it every single day of the hour !!! Lol.
Nice 2 cents :). I thought the same thing about the clamps, but for the price of this thing, its no biggy. I noticed that this morning, I was driving slower than usual because my ears/ brain have not adjusted to the new sounds of this intake yet...making me think is was going faster than I actually was, lol.

HaveBlue83

This is going to take another trip or two to the harware store. The included soft 1" pcv line is just ripping at the ends and its much too soft and just creases at the corners. Im gonna need an sturdyl 1" line if this thing keeps ripping. Silicone? Im baffled by the use of silicone. Baffled.

I didnt even need the stated 1" -3/4 reducer at all...you actually need a 1"-1" barbed fitting to connect the intake pcv hose to the soft silicone 2j hose, and then another 1" 90deg to eliminate the tight bend at the pipe connection. I also habe no hose worm gear clamps for the intake turbo connection.

Im not even gonna mess with this until the weekend. No instructions, just a box of parts.

Over it. Im gonna go swap a radiator now on my fun car. Def easier lol.

HaveBlue83

Advanced auto only goes up to 3/4" id On their lines. If the shop i use for my other cars doesnt have the 1" ID in a nice reinforced line then this is a no go for me. I see in oics the silicone line is kinked. It (as stated earlier) will collapse under vacume.

This is redic. 3 damn months and you cant even get us a complete and quality kit with simple instructions with a good vent line and hose clamps?

I am dumbfounded. Just.....whatever. everyone else keep drinking the cool-aid. Besides the pipe itself there is some serious stuff lacking from this kit. The injen was a beautiful kit and install. Everything was proper. This left a lot to desire. I will get around to this one day when i compile enough parts to properly put this on my $25,000 car.

OP
joe@2j-racing
Thread Starter #437
This is the main reason why 75% of what we do we don't release. These are for racing, it says it clearly on the first post. It implies you know what you are doing when you install it and not ripping silicone hoses. A simple short of brake clean provides a fast drying lubricant to slide the hose on. Also the hose only evacs oil vapor being pulled out by the turbo. A slight kink won't prevent it.

We make zero profit on these due to the labor intense work to make sure each one is perfect. We also are the only ones to include high temp coupler at the turbo.

Bash the part. Personally we don't care because we know it works. We've proven it in our racing. And on the dyno. Sorry something as simple as a hose is kicking your ass. I'm over it

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Advanced auto only goes up to 3/4" id On their lines. If the shop i use for my other cars doesnt have the 1" ID in a nice reinforced line then this is a no go for me. I see in oics the silicone line is kinked. It (as stated earlier) will collapse under vacume.

This is redic. 3 damn months and you cant even get us a complete and quality kit with simple instructions with a good vent line and hose clamps?

I am dumbfounded. Just.....whatever. everyone else keep drinking the cool-aid. Besides the pipe itself there is some serious stuff lacking from this kit. The injen was a beautiful kit and install. Everything was proper. This left a lot to desire. I will get around to this one day when i compile enough parts to properly put this on my $25,000 car.
This isn't cool-aid talkin, but you can't really compare this and the Injen due to the price difference. The Injen is sold by most companies at $70+ more than this. If this intake would have been $200+ like the Injen, then I would have had an issue with the hose and lack of clamps. I actually expected to replace the hoses and clamps due to the price.

HaveBlue83

Then 2j needs to sell the pipe, filter and evap connector for $150 as a KIT ONLY, and list what is needed to complete.

Silicone.....no. you use reinforced nice fuel line type hoses.

Race only doesnt mean "doesnt include most pieces needed to complete". It means "track use". Dont use "race only" to cover the lack of parts. I was ok with buying one part.....but in the end i didnt even NEED that part, and two other items are of issue.

The pipe is wonderfully made. I will not bash the pipe, coupler, k&N filter or the nice little evap connector. They are quality. But the other shit that is awry makes me leave 2j off the table for future parts. PS my injen was $220 shipped.....$160 2j intake $60 harness...u do the math.

Maybe im just used to Boomba installs.

-dunno-