Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2J Racing Down-Pipe Install Short DIY

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Great write up. I plan to use this soon. Btw, what are y'all using for your tune with this race down pipe? I have an Accessport ( with Cobb stag 1 currently), the Injen intake and a borla catback. This down pipe will be my next mod, then an inter cooler. This write up will definitely help me. Thanks.

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
My 2j catless is on the ups truck out for delivery right now. 3 weeks after the order... im still stoked.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Be VERY careful with the O2 sensors. Especially the upstream one that is on the cat. I broke mine when doing this install and it took a month and a half to receive the one I ordered from Ford. Just a heads up...

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
The tool you mentioned, is this a 22mm crow foot wrench? Sounds like a crow foot wrench

"The one tool that is absolutely needed to get the O2 sensor off is the 22mm open end 3/8 socket, I used the Kobalt one from Lowe's, it was $7."

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
A Crows foot is a great Idea .. When I did mine i had the battery box and most other stuff out of the car and shifter cablesmoved out of the way too so I could get in with a open end 22mm open end box combo wrench and get enough leverage to break it loose. I only did the upper one in the car and took the other one out once the DP was out and easier to work on.. Good sutff though :)

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Be VERY careful with the O2 sensors. Especially the upstream one that is on the cat. I broke mine when doing this install and it took a month and a half to receive the one I ordered from Ford. Just a heads up...
On top of this, I would recommend you soak the O2 sensor in PB Blaster overnight. I didn't and rounded the head-even using a 22mm 02 socket.

Idk if you'll be able to get enough of a swing or leverage to get that wrench to work, but I may be wrong. I used the socket, about 2' of extensions, and a 1/2" breaker bar.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
On top of this, I would recommend you soak the O2 sensor in PB Blaster overnight. I didn't and rounded the head-even using a 22mm 02 socket.

Idk if you'll be able to get enough of a swing or leverage to get that wrench to work, but I may be wrong. I used the socket, about 2' of extensions, and a 1/2" breaker bar.
I have several lengths of stainless steel and copper tube I use as a breaker bars for tough situations. I have an artificial right elbow made out of titanium, so I have to be inventive. I had to use a ratcheting breaker bar from Harbor Freight and push with my foot to get the nuts off the bottom of the OEM downpipe when I installed the FSWERKS exhaust last weekend. What a pain these were to get off without an air wrench that could fit.

I'll rent both the socket and the wrench from O'rellleys. I got plenty of PBblaster. I wonder why Ford doesn't use antiseize on these sensors, probably planned obsolesence.

CanadianST

I couldn't even budge my sensors while they were in the car so i ended up cutting the mounting studs and heat shield off the old downpipe to wrestle it free with both sensors still installed (no way i'm going through that again and no plans to go back to stock). Once out it took me standing on the downpipe and a buddy using his foot on a wrench to break the sensor free. The biggest pain is just getting the heat shield off i found. Once that's out of the way it's smooth sailing.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Sounds like we have all had a simular experiance with the stock DP. I like that they will rent you then tools if they have them :)

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I was going to chicken out and have the downpipe installed, but there is something about being able to say "I did it myself" even if there is no one else in the garage to listen to this old man say it! My wife says I'm too cheep to have someone else do anything for me. I think it's a "handicapped" thing with me. I don't like that word and won't admit to myself that it applies to me. Before I got my artificial elbow (due to a motorcycle accident 40 years ago), my right arm was useless, but I still worked on my cars. I like to feel I'm the master of my limitations, not the slave to them, if that makes any sense.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Sounds like we have all had a simular experiance with the stock DP. I like that they will rent you then tools if they have them :)
Maybe I'll just buy them, and then everyone can use them, and send them off to the next person who wants to do the DP themselves. These really are a one time tool, and some places don't have these types of tools. Kind of like a pay it forward kind of thing.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Thanks Rodmoe. I'm thinking of renting a wrench made for this purpose.

That's what I was using when I bent my o2 sensor. If you use this, keep an eye on the angle of the socket part. If it slips upwards, it will bend the body of the sensor.

i will be using this to install my dp that i got from the BST. was going to do it this weekend, but i came down with a horrible cold. been useless all weekend.

bought a o2 spacer since i don't have the AP yet (still hesitant due to warranty and all)

cat delete though? no biggie.. i deleted the cat on my svtf within the first 6 months.. only had my FiST 2 months hahahaha

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I have a oxygen sensor available for anyone who wants one on loan. You pay shipping, and hold onto it until someone else needs it, and then they pay your shipping costs, etc.

This one worked very well for me.