Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

A bit of right turn tendency after alignment.

So I got an alignment at Ford. Got the print out and everything looked good but my car still has a bit of a right turn tendency. #3 is the completed measurement which honestly looks good but when the wheel is straight, car just starts to slide over to the right. Any idea how to fix this? I already rotated the tires to see if that will help but unfortunately, nothing. 20200430_195656.jpg 20200430_195646.jpg

Get it re-aligned. Based on the numbers it looks like something got messed up during alignment (maybe they bumped one of the sensors or something). I think this because of the -2.5 deg camber in the "current measurements" chart.

These cars do not come from the factory with camber adjustment. And unless you have camber bolts or other aftermarket means of adjusting camber, these cars aren't able to get -2.5deg of camber. So the camber being off could have lead to a false "good" reading by the tech. If true, kind of shitty of them to not pick up on that and do the alignment right.

OP
hendrixsrv
Thread Starter #4
Get it re-aligned. Based on the numbers it looks like something got messed up during alignment (maybe they bumped one of the sensors or something). I think this because of the -2.5 deg camber in the "current measurements" chart.

These cars do not come from the factory with camber adjustment. And unless you have camber bolts or other aftermarket means of adjusting camber, these cars aren't able to get -2.5deg of camber. So the camber being off could have lead to a false "good" reading by the tech. If true, kind of shitty of them to not pick up on that and do the alignment right.
Yeah Camber bolts were installed. But it was from the previous owner. I just reinstalled them when I was installing the coilovers lol. It is pretty bad. I'm going to give them a call and see if they could do another realignment and let them know that camber bolts are installed.

OP
hendrixsrv
Thread Starter #5
Cross rotate the tires and see if the pull changes sides. Sometimes it's a tire.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I can't because the tires are one direction. If I swap the fronts then they won't rotate the proper way. The rear tires are starting to get low so I can't swap those.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
find someplace else to do your alignment.Those specs after are horrible. Find a performance alignment shop but make sure the alignment guy wil do exactly like you want not just factory specs.

OP
hendrixsrv
Thread Starter #7
find someplace else to do your alignment.Those specs after are horrible. Find a performance alignment shop but make sure the alignment guy wil do exactly like you want not just factory specs.
True. For anyone wondering, don't do dealership alignments. I quickly became a guinea pig lol

Most turning tendency is not alignment (tires or bushings) but yours may actually be alignment related, let me explain my experience with it... Caster is the alignment setting to adjust LH or RH pull, but it's very subtle... and there's not to easily change with regard to differential caster (usually off slightly as roads are crowned)... unless you're mistaking steering wheel not centered as turning.

However, slightly LESS toe in for the front can be helpful in my experience with the ST... when I first got the 2018 car in July, I just drove it. Then for autocross prep, got out the Longacre toe plates, grease plates, camber tools, checked the alignment, I maxed out negative camber, and set toe-in at zero. I had a little too much toe in prior to start about the same as you... and the same with two other local ST's that I reset the toe on and huge improvement.

Result was brilliant, I could take my hands off the steering wheel on the highway and it tracked very straight and more stable than ever. Also the tire dust from the front fenders was no longer an issue.

The logic is it's a light weight car, with more weight on the LH side the car favors a tendency to pull to the right if you're on the high side of the standard spec.

Since then, with two different ST's and many different suspension configurations trying different stuff, that's what I've learned... you'll have all the "experts" and "alignment shop idiots" arguing so I don't really care, but hope that helps.

Yeah Camber bolts were installed. But it was from the previous owner. I just reinstalled them when I was installing the coilovers lol. It is pretty bad. I'm going to give them a call and see if they could do another realignment and let them know that camber bolts are installed.
True. For anyone wondering, don't do dealership alignments. I quickly became a guinea pig lol
Uhhh, I'm sure dealership alignments are fine for the most part. The lesson here should be "install camber bolts properly and inform the alignment shop that you have camber bolts installed"