Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Adjustable Caster?

Joemoe

I Just bought a FiST and took it to get an alignment and found out that my front right wheel is at 4.8 caster and my front left is 3.8 and the shop said they could not adjust the caster. and that the subframe may be bent some way. So I just want to know if there is any way too adjust the caster or if what they said was correct?

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
The only way to adjust caster is by replacing the stock rear LCA bushing with an adjustable version.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
The only way to adjust caster is by replacing the stock rear LCA bushing with an adjustable version.
Even with this, I don't see how its adjustable. I just installed the powerflex bushings on the track car and i can't get them to rotate at all to change it. Its also a total pain in the ass to get them back into the subframe.

I have the Powerflex but haven’t installed yet. In addition to the Whiteline, Superpro also has a version, at least on their Australian site. They even have a set that comes with one standard and one offset, to fix a situation like that with one side being different than the other.

Even with this, I don't see how its adjustable. I just installed the powerflex bushings on the track car and i can't get them to rotate at all to change it. Its also a total pain in the ass to get them back into the subframe.
Yeah. That's because the powerflex adjustable caster bushing doesn't fit the hole. The Whiteline one does fit. I've had the Whiteline bushings in my 11 Fiesta hatchback for many years. I am very surprised that this has not been discussed at some point in the last several years! I am upgrading some parts for a future project and decided to go with that Powerflex bushing.
I decided to go look at some install videos just to be clear on how the part is articulated when pressed into the arm. What i saw was two pretty experienced guy's damn near injuring themselves while trying to get the bushings pressed in. The install should be smooth like buttah. These were alarmingly bad. Like effup the parts or the arm bad.
First bushing shell is the original Ford part
Second one is the Whiteline bushing.
Third one is the Powerflex .
I think i will wander across the driveway and visit a machine shop. I am curious if having the bushing slapped in an O.D. grinder and "adjusted" will compromise its strength. Or maybe Powerflex actually meant "adjustable to fit several arms of different cars".
I would not recommend that anyone spend their money on this one.
It looks like a quality piece. It's very heavy and nicely finnished . But, i was quite shocked about the extreme amount of force needed that still failed to get it in the provided hole.

Attachments

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I didnt hear any complaints from the guys installing them. They went in properly and sit in place just fine. I just dont see the part rotating in the shell to "adjust"

Its not supposed to rotate. its like the ball joints on a jeep that correct camber.
You measure the car and figure out which way it has to go. Replace the bushing with it in the orientation thats needed. Then remeasure the car and adjust camber and toe.