Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

All-New Ford Explorer Goes Faster and Further with Performance-Tuned ST

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I drove a fully-loaded Explorer from Michigan to California a few years ago and was so impressed that I sold my Acura and bought a FiST. If Mountune and others jump on board, it could be a pretty cool platform; Mountune's jumping all over the Raptor, so I wouldn't be surprised to see some nice enhancements for the Explorer.
Here comes the MP430...

Mikey456

I remember being invited to test drive the first edition X5 in the early 2000’s. It was an auto cross type course and the X5 was quite capable though obviously not as fun as our cars. Fast forward many years later and Ford is coming up with a similar vehicle. Instead of a calling it a SAV (sports activity vehicle) they call it a ST. Could it compete with the BMW X3/X5? That would be my question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I sure wouldn't want to be the guy who has to fuel up that monstrosity.
I have a big family. Filling up the v10 excursion is not something we do often. It's only for family trips and my wife running around town.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I think this is a way to make boat captains feel better about driving a boat. Not one owner is going to do anything but floor it and shut it down. I’ve said it before but this could be the most circuitous way of getting people excited again about performance vehicles. “But Mom you had an ST”!!!!

jeff

2000 Post Club
Coronavirus distraction post…

Currently sitting in the Ford dealership getting a new key fob programmed for my Fiesta. There is a beautiful gray Explorer ST right next to the chair I’m waiting in. $59k is too much (my new CX-9 Signature was $40k) but the car has insane power, great reviews and it quite roomy and full of tech. I wondered if I should have gotten this instead of the Mazda, I could likely negotiate them down to $50k.

The I pulled on the door handle to close the door and the trim popped off.

I’ll keep my Mazda.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
The new Explorer has received so many negative reviews for build quality, and that picture just demonstrated why.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

jeff

2000 Post Club
The new Explorer has received so many negative reviews and that picture just demonstrated why.

I don’t disagree! However…

Most of what I read was actually positive....What are the negative reviews saying??

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I don’t disagree! However…

Most of what I read was actually positive....What are the negative reviews saying??
Build quality. Poor fit and finish. This is the new Explorer as a whole though not just the ST. Sure the power is great but the interior was not thought out.

Not quite sure If the ST suffers this problem but the regular explorers have been plagued with transmission problems I believe it has to do with the cooler lines.

Our favorite car reviewer Savagegeese trashed it.

I convinced my Mother to buy an Explorer ST. She was looking at the Explorer and a few other brands for her new vehicle. She was replacing her 2015 fully loaded Buick Enclave. I do agree with the comments in this thread that the fit and finish isn't great. The vertical touch screen is just weird, turn it the other way Ford. That being said she absolutely loves her ST. No issues for her yet since taking delivery in September 2019.

IMG_1669.JPG

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I don't understand jeeps in general. They are calling the gladiator a life style vehicle.
Used car lots are littered with Jeeps.

Bankruptcy is a lifestyle.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I am sure glad we have another ST with a trailer hitch. I wonder if you can track with a trailer. A new sport.

Coronavirus distraction post…

Currently sitting in the Ford dealership getting a new key fob programmed for my Fiesta. There is a beautiful gray Explorer ST right next to the chair I’m waiting in. $59k is too much (my new CX-9 Signature was $40k) but the car has insane power, great reviews and it quite roomy and full of tech. I wondered if I should have gotten this instead of the Mazda, I could likely negotiate them down to $50k.

The I pulled on the door handle to close the door and the trim popped off.

I’ll keep my Mazda.

How much did it cost to reprogram the key fob? Also do they reprogram the old and new key fob or just the new one? I’m ordering a replacement and will need to get it reprogrammed.

jeff

2000 Post Club
How much did it cost to reprogram the key fob? Also do they reprogram the old and new key fob or just the new one? I’m ordering a replacement and will need to get it reprogrammed.
I'm not sure if they programmed both, I assume just the one. With older non-push start fobs they do have to re-sync them all at once. Not sure about ours though. Either way it was $62.50 at the dealer; local mom & pops wanted $65.00.

I just made a helpful thread with link to purchase, it can be found here:

https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/key-fob-replacement-411-thread.23669/

I saw one on my way to work last night in the blue it looks really sharp and from what I can tell has a fairly good punch. I would personally get one just for the fact I could use it as a more c*** hauler and still use the fist a my everyday fun toy. Over all I think ford will have a easier time selling this then jeep did with the gladiator for the simple fact you are comparing something that starts out at about 34k and goes up to about 80 to 90k where as I think this base price is about if not about 40 and probably goes up to at most 60k. The few shots I've seen of the interior it looks like something you could pack the family up and go one a 24hr road trip. Plus with it having 3rd row seating I don't for see ford coming out with an excursion again and if they do it will probably be advertised as a company suv for construction or something like the transit.

Fords new ST SUV is here! Is your Explorer just too small, your Expedition won't carry all your rolls of toilet paper? Then Ford has your solution, The new F600 ST with optional Raptor package. (Recaro seats extra)

hot-rod-school-bus-1-600x400.jpg

I test drove a Explorer ST and for being so big it did run good. Plenty of room, handled good for a big SUV, but for my wife and I we felt it was just to big for what we needed. But if I had a bigger family and needed something this size I would get it just so I have the best of both worlds. Especially after seeing what a tune does.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuNYOdYmpxA

jeff

2000 Post Club
I test drove a Explorer ST and for being so big it did run good. Plenty of room, handled good for a big SUV, but for my wife and I we felt it was just to big for what we needed. But if I had a bigger family and needed something this size I would get it just so I have the best of both worlds. Especially after seeing what a tune does.
Yeah they are quick no doubt and a tune makes it better. Truth is my wife drives it 90% of the time and she could care less how fast it is. The price is just too high and like you said it's too big (for us, we wanted something smaller than the minivan we ditched).

Interestingly, Motor Trend released a comparison yesterday that pitted all the SUVs against each other. The Explorer wasn't the ST but much of the comparison would be the same either way. That said, the CX-9 was low on their list but it was because it was smaller than the rest, that's why it got docked. For someone like me who purposely wanted something smaller, it is perfect. They praised it for it's performance and driving dynamics, saying it was the best of all of them in that category. A quote:

"If we were to award a gold medal for performance, ride, and handling, the Mazda CX-9 would be the champ. With its stiffer steering, well-balanced suspension, and peppy 2.5-liter turbo-four engine, the CX-9 delivers on Mazda's "Driving Matters" mantra. "No SUV in this group is as engaging and—dare I say—rewarding to drive as the CX-9," Seabaugh said. "Its steering is well weighted, accurate, and pure." With 227 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque, the CX-9 was tied for the torquiest SUV (along with Explorer), and its six-speed automatic transmission, though old, still gets the job done. Rechtin agreed: "It's definitely the most entertaining drive of the bunch if you still want the feel of fun.""

https://www.motortrend.com/news/3-row-midsize-suv-comparison-test/

Sorry to digress from the Explorer ST...just had to throw that in...back on topic...