Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Am I crazy or do i just have T Rex arms?

I've been finding after driving my WRX (older one for winter) that i noticed something i didn't notice before i purchased a second car.

There is no feasible way for me to sit comfortably and still be able to Palm the shifter. I feels like the fiesta shifter is extremely far forward and i guess I've just been living with it?

Is this a commonly known thing? I could move the seat forward a bit but my legs start to get a little bent up and if i raise the seat back my head is too close to the roof for comfort. So my ideal seating position has the shifter about 2" farther than ideal.

Figured I'd see if maybe i actually have trex arms or if this is common.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
It is a little down and forward from what would be ideal for me, too. I just got used to it.

You could put a short shift kit in it. That would reduce your reach a little, but not 2" worth.

I thought it was strange when first buying the FiST. I think 2J Racing sells a little extension that pulls the shifter a bit further back. I ended up just adjusting positions and style til I found a usable and comfortable baseline.

OP
Esoterikk
Thread Starter #4
I thought it was strange when first buying the FiST. I think 2J Racing sells a little extension that pulls the shifter a bit further back. I ended up just adjusting positions and style til I found a usable and comfortable baseline.
Yeah I've read that boomba also has a kit that moves it back, i might have to look into something like this.

I came from an STI, and the cockpit was definitely a lot more “fighter jet” fitting.

I have the opposite of t-Rex arms. Pterodactyl arms maybe? I need to run a longer stem on my road bike and all that. I am also a bit stretched to shift, you’re not the only one.

Something about the geometry is off. I have the steering wheel all the way forward, seat way back, and the shifter just isn’t in a good spot. Short shift adaptor, all the bushings, and a piston style shift knob helped.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
I thought the shifter was too far away until I scooted forward more than I thought I should. But that fixed the feeling I couldn't press the clutch all the way down as well.

OP
Esoterikk
Thread Starter #7
I thought the shifter was too far away until I scooted forward more than I thought I should. But that fixed the feeling I couldn't press the clutch all the way down as well.
I get the feeling the aggressive angle of the recaros makes it feel like you need to sit further back than you do maybe? when I scoot up my knees feel really close to the dash but thinking about it that could be due to the seats basically firing your legs into space it's so angled.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
This is interesting as I loved the seating position of my M3 with Vaders. Then I sat in Focus and while I could get into a doable situation it took a lot of work. Jumped into a base FiST and it felt right . I am 5,7 fairly well proportioned I.E, legs and arms are balanced out as well as Torso. Got in the Recaros and the only issue I had was you sit about an inch higher then due there bottom seat pad being much thicker. Otherwise the cockpit feel of the FiST was not bad yes the shifter is a bit forward but thats all Ford Hatchs in general Focus is actually a bit worse.
I like having my legs and arms bent thought as its proper driving positioning. Your body is more relaxed and it allows you to focus on the driving. When your arms are extended or your legs are extended then it throws your body off IMO. Even though sitting in older sports cars back in the days I did get used to legs shooting straight forward in an almost straight legged position.

Yeah I've read that boomba also has a kit that moves it back, i might have to look into something like this.
It can’t hurt. The guys at 2J have my vote over Boomba but only because I love the intake. Guess it’s weird to be brand loyal over something like that.

I’m with you on the position, and I even drive with the wheel close to me like if I was in a race car with no movement and full harness (I am not, but Its the preferred position for best control and out of decades of habit).

I have the 2J piece that I paid too much money for... if you want to try it... went with Coolerworx. Also you can raise the base of the shifter about 1/8” with washers/spacers, doesn’t sound like much but noticeable.

91C6E012-381E-4290-A0C6-873419FC9A06.jpeg

OP
Esoterikk
Thread Starter #13
Has anyone tried the whoosh shifter plate kit? It will reduce the throws that should solve some of the issue of 1st, 3rd and 5th being too far forward no? @ron@whoosh

The poor ergonomics bother me too. I think a good part of it is just a result of the tight cabin. The shifter needs to be forward to avoid your elbow hitting the armrest, which is poorly positioned to create more backseat room. I end up with the same issue you described - to position my body correctly for the pedals and steering wheel, my arm is at full extension for 3rd and 6th gear. My Mountune shift plate helped, but only marginally. Eventually I’ll buy a Coolerworx, which will hopefully resolve the issue.

I also find the center display is poorly positioned - I have to lean forward to reach it. In my WRX, I could easily reach all controls while harnessed in. No way I could do that in the Fiesta. The steering column doesn’t lower enough for me if I’m in the lowest seating position either. It isn’t awful, but another inch of travel would help.