Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anybody use the new RTS clutch kit from Whoosh??

Looking for first-hand opinions on this RTS kit:
https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopify.com/collections/all-fiesta-parts/products/rts-performance-twin-friction-clutch-kit-2014-2019-fiesta-st

I ordered one of these kits because I read that they were very popular in the UK. I should have done some research first because I can't actually find anybody running them in the UK or anywhere else. I could only find one person who posted about the kit and long story short they had to threaten RTS with a lawsuit to get their money back after they were sent a bad clutch. So now I'm super worried about quality issues and customer support and wondering if I should cancel this order and go with another brand? I need something that can handle around 400ftlbs.

Lays

Spec stage 3+ is supposed to hold 408 ft lb, could do that if you're not sure about the RTS kit.

I'm curious as well because I have a spec stage 3+ rigid disc, but can't install it because OEM flywheels are out of stock everywhere.

OP
bflan2001
Thread Starter #3
Spec stage 3+ is supposed to hold 408 ft lb, could do that if you're not sure about the RTS kit.

I'm curious as well because I have a spec stage 3+ rigid disc, but can't install it because OEM flywheels are out of stock everywhere.
I see a lot of guys saying they were able to resurface their flywheel, but I don’t see how when the OEM flywheel is a dual mass. As far as I know you can’t resurface dual mass flywheels.

Lays

I see a lot of guys saying they were able to resurface their flywheel, but I don’t see how when the OEM flywheel is a dual mass. As far as I know you can’t resurface dual mass flywheels.
Some machine shops have specialized equipment that can, but it's not recommended apparently.

Two local shops told me it's always best to replace, but said they haven't had any issues resurfacing dual mass yet.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Unless your flywheel is damaged just reuse it. That is what I will do, and have always done. How many problems have I had Zero.

My brother has 300,000 miles on his dual mass flywheel. When he bought the car it had 123,000 miles on it, and he learned how to drive a manual on that car. 2005 Ford Focus.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Lays

Unless your flywheel is damaged just reuse it. That is what I will do, and have always done. How many problems have I had Zero.

My brother has 300,000 miles on his dual mass flywheel. When he bought the car it had 123,000 miles on it, and he learned how to drive a manual on that car. 2005 Ford Focus.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
It's definitely damaged, I've been drag racing my car for almost a year straight, clutch has slipped on/off multiple times. I'm sure my flywheel looks like torched titanium now, lmao

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopify.com/collections/all-fiesta-parts/products/rts-performance-twin-friction-clutch-kit-2014-2019-fiesta-st

I ordered one of these kits because I read that they were very popular in the UK. I should have done some research first because I can't actually find anybody running them in the UK or anywhere else. I could only find one person who posted about the kit and long story short they had to threaten RTS with a lawsuit to get their money back after they were sent a bad clutch. So now I'm super worried about quality issues and customer support and wondering if I should cancel this order and go with another brand? I need something that can handle around 400ftlbs.
What did you end up doing?

Sam4

What's a "bad clutch" mean? Out of the box visually damaged? Disc installed backwards?

OP
bflan2001
Thread Starter #9
What did you end up doing?
I stuck with the RTS kit but haven't installed it yet. I have the RTS clutch & flywheel, MFactory LSD and all the related install parts. Just need to find a competent shop local to me. The Fiesta has been mostly sitting while I work on a couple other projects.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I stuck with the RTS kit but haven't installed it yet. I have the RTS clutch & flywheel, MFactory LSD and all the related install parts. Just need to find a competent shop local to me. The Fiesta has been mostly sitting while I work on a couple other projects.
I Completed the task at hand a couple weeks back with basically all the same things you had in mind minus a Clarke Trans that replaced my Now old lawn art unit* And the RTC twin friction feels just like stock TBH without the slop from the DMF. Its what RTS was going for! Its winter here so the full potential of the M-factory LSD is yet to be seen as its Icey everywhere. But you wont be disappointed* Enjoy!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Sooo...did you get it all done ? What are your thoughts?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm still breaking mine in - RTS twin friction with flywheel. So far it drives really easy, feels a lot like stock.
Ditto....just taking the people who have installed RTS* for other folks.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
bflan2001
Thread Starter #14
I am very sad to say that I did not get a chance to install the clutch and LSD. The Fiesta has been mostly parked for several months since I started a new job and can't drive it to work anymore. I decided it made more sense to sell her for now and hopefully pick up another one in a couple years when I can enjoy it more. Best car I've ever owned but having extra, unused cars in this market just doesn't make sense.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I am very sad to say that I did not get a chance to install the clutch and LSD. The Fiesta has been mostly parked for several months since I started a new job and can't drive it to work anymore. I decided it made more sense to sell her for now and hopefully pick up another one in a couple years when I can enjoy it more. Best car I've ever owned but having extra, unused cars in this market just doesn't make sense.
Really?!?!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

I'm looking for a new clutch and flywheel for my 2017, and will install with a Wavetrac. The prices on an OEM flywheel are surprising (plus shipping to Hawaii).
The RTS Twin Friction is interesting. The Whoosh RTS package includes a single-mass flywheel, but AET's RTS description says: "Using a twin friction clutch plate design that has been specifically designed to be fitted to the original dual mass flywheels, the clutch pedal has almost a standard feel but with a higher friction material like other brand organic clutches on the Fiesta ST tuning market."

It looks like the RTS clutch is "sprung", so may be okay with a SMF. And RTS sells their clutches with or without a SMF included, so, it seems like its okay to use them with the OEM DMF.

I also can't find any information about the weight of the SMF that comes with the RTS Whoosh package.

Also, my understanding is that with a SMF, assuming it's lighter than OEM, revs will rise and drop more quickly. But the only reviews I could find here say that the "rev-hang" between shifts is worse, not better. Is the Fiesta's rev-hang caused by the tune more than by the OEM flywheel?