Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anyone had a Mountune 1.6L Shortblock delivered lately? Ordered in April and still waiting

Hello team,
Has anyone ordered a mountune 1.6L forged short block within the last 6 months and had it delivered? I ordered back in April and still waiting. I have contacted them multiple times and rang them last week. They advised they were waiting on Ford to supply the block.
Yet they are still taking orders happily on their website for more short blocks !!

This was Mountune USA and I know they have a horrible reputation for supply of parts. I just want to know if this is truth or just BS?

Thanks

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hello team,
Has anyone ordered a mountune 1.6L forged short block within the last 6 months and had it delivered? I ordered back in April and still waiting. I have contacted them multiple times and rang them last week. They advised they were waiting on Ford to supply the block.
Yet they are still taking orders happily on their website for more short blocks !!

This was Mountune USA and I know they have a horrible reputation for supply of parts. I just want to know if this is truth or just BS?

Thanks
Mountune.....Like with many Vendors love to take the money when items are on Back order* You are not the first one waiting on parts after money is taken for an extended period of time.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I don't blame them. This isn't just a short shifter or something cheap and trivial. With those kinda low buck orders, taking payment 1st for back ordered items is absolutely selfish & shady of the vendor. I'm aware that Mountune has a rep for this kind of shit but a short block is entirely different.

If I were a vendor selling a $3,000 custom built-to-order setup, I'd want the money first too. Otherwise, I'd be exposed to customers changing their minds and leaving me on the hook for thousands of dollars. It's just common-sense business in this case.

Imagine if they had thousands of dollars of brand new blocks just sitting around the storage room. They'd be out of business quickly! Most reputable shops will source the block AFTER being paid. Some will let you do a partial down payment but i've never seen a shop build the engine first - for FREE - THEN take payment.

And the UAW strike can't be helping matters. I feel ur pain brutha but as long as they're still responding when you reach out, you hanve't been robbed yet. LoL It's gonna be what it is.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I don't blame them. This isn't just a short shifter or something cheap and trivial. With those kinda low buck orders, taking payment 1st for back ordered items is absolutely selfish & shady of the vendor. I'm aware that Mountune has a rep for this kind of shit but a short block is entirely different.

If I were a vendor selling a $3,000 custom built-to-order setup, I'd want the money first too. Otherwise, I'd be exposed to customers changing their minds and leaving me on the hook for thousands of dollars. It's just common-sense business in this case.

Imagine if they had thousands of dollars of brand new blocks just sitting around the storage room. They'd be out of business quickly! Most reputable shops will source the block AFTER being paid. Some will let you do a partial down payment but i've never seen a shop build the engine first - for FREE - THEN take payment.

And the UAW strike can't be helping matters. I feel ur pain brutha but as long as they're still responding when you reach out, you hanve't been robbed yet. LoL It's gonna be what it is.
Oh it’s worse than people realize Ford has disco’d our engines, which means new blocks or long blocks are bye bye. Handwriting on the wall here people . Even tuners are starting to look at other Ford engine alternatives for our cars due to this. This is handwriting on the wall.
So ya not surprised Mountune might be behind the eightball sourcing a good block or long block.
OP could always ask for a refund.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Oh it’s worse than people realize Ford has disco’d our engines, which means new blocks or long blocks are bye bye. Handwriting on the wall here people . Even tuners are starting to look at other Ford engine alternatives for our cars due to this. This is handwriting on the wall.
So ya not surprised Mountune might be behind the eightball sourcing a good block or long block.
Damn I need to go buy an escape block from a junkyard ASAP then

Doesn’t the engine fall under the 10 years of support law?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Doesn’t the engine fall under the 10 years of support law?
there is no law that’s a popular myth. I looked into it. The reason I know is because it’s not just the engine it’s also the passenger side front door complete shell with skin, Its also at least one side of the front knuckles . I learned about the engine recently from A my tuners posts about it and B a friend needed an engine and the shop tried to source a new one from Ford.

.It started. a few years back but it’s gaining momentum now. There were other samll trim pieces as well. I learned part of this while having my rebuild done. The front knuckle I learned of a few years back.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
So having paid for the extended warranty, which doesn't expire for another 19,000 miles, what happens if I need a new engine? Do I get my money back or sue Ford to replace the engine under the warranty?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
So having paid for the extended warranty, which doesn't expire for another 19,000 miles, what happens if I need a new engine? Do I get my money back or sue Ford to replace the engine under the warranty?
I don’t know but ya I know you can cancel the extended warranty and they will pro rate some of the cost of it back. I was thinking of doing that on mine.

Dialcaliper

I don’t know but ya I know you can cancel the extended warranty and they will pro rate some of the cost of it back. I was thinking of doing that on mine.
Odds are Ford is also keeping back stock of short and long blocks specifically to fulfill warranty claims (though dealers) and aren’t going to be selling them Willy nilly to engine builders.

But I doubt there will ultimately be a shortage of blocks - the aftermarket will be salvaging and remanufacturing parts including engine blocks long after Ford abandons it. But you may have to pay through the nose to buy a reman through a dealer parts department, and someone like Mountune is going to have a harder time turning a profit on built blocks without a cheap core source.

Honestly though, you’re going to be better off getting that junkyard escape motor and either having it built or doing it yourself. Off-the-shelf built engines and blocks have always been a bit of a “luxury” item.

The main roadblock to building your own shortblock or head is locating a competent automotive machinist, as they are getting less and less common. Otherwise there’s nothing that difficult about assembling it. As long as you take it slow and be methodical, getting the motor and trans in and out of the car and hooked up properly is the hardest part, not the long block.

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Odds are Ford is also keeping back stock of short and long blocks specifically to fulfill warranty claims (though dealers) and aren’t going to be selling them Willy nilly to engine builders.

But I doubt there will ultimately be a shortage of blocks - the aftermarket will be salvaging and remanufacturing parts including engine blocks long after Ford abandons it. But you may have to pay through the nose to buy a reman through a dealer parts department, and someone like Mountune is going to have a harder time turning a profit on built blocks without a cheap core source.

Honestly though, you’re going to be better off getting that junkyard escape motor and either having it built or doing it yourself. Off-the-shelf built engines and blocks have always been a bit of a “luxury” item.

The main roadblock to building your own shortblock or head is locating a competent automotive machinist, as they are getting less and less common. Otherwise there’s nothing that difficult about assembling it. As long as you take it slow and be methodical, getting the motor and trans in and out of the car and hooked up properly is the hardest part, not the long block.
Ya truthfully if got to that at this point I would probably just chalk it up to its been fun and part out time.
I am not at all impressed by Fords handling of parts for our cars and while you can claim they probably have parts for warranty, they do not have front knuckle assemblies for example .

I am just not going to dive in that deep anymore let alone chasing around junkyards for parts did that shit for years with other cars . Kinda done with that it’s not as fun as it used to be.

This car is turning into a got to have a parts car situation already and it’s 5 years old . Thats kinda on the silly side in my book.
If my car had not got hit I might not have started finding all of this out and seeing the handwriting but I am. I am glad I rebuilt to enjoy it a bit longer but I am not fooling myself here . I have seen this happen with other cars I have been into it just like close to 30 years before parts became unavailable not 5🤣
I have a GR Corolla on allocation. I will keep my FiST till I either tire of it or it dies and that will be that.
Ford as a brand is a disappointment to me at this point.

Oh and they even managed to mess up what could have been a coup with the Maverick and now Toyota is about to steal that Thunder with a Hybrid pickup based on the Rav4 . Hmmm seen this script before American car companies just never seem to learn and they always wind having the Japanese eat their lunch.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
OK, fair enough, but how do you know that Toy will have all of the specific GR parts (especially the drive train ones) for many years to come going forward, once there are only electric cars sold??

Dpro

6000 Post Club
OK, fair enough, but how do you know that Toy will have all of the specific GR parts (especially the drive train ones) for many years to come going forward, once there are only electric cars sold??
Funny you should mention that the 3 cylinder turbo in the GRC is actually an engine that Toyota is going to be using in future Hydrogen fuel cell vehicles as well. They have big plans for the little power plant . Toyota has no plans for full EV they will make some EV and other alternatives.

Having owned and driven Japanese cars all my adult life and in my high school years i have seen Japanese car companies keep parts in stock for a good 25 years after manufacture.
Plus its Toyota and well their reputation as a great car company is quite a bit stronger than Fords at this point.

I know your gonna cry Newsome …wait cough….cough… actually you kinda already did with the all EV statement 🤣)
well that’s a mandate and quite honestly it’s an impossible one. Mandates are not laws they are goals and it was Political grandstanding on Newsome’s part.

There is no federal law or mandate. Merely goals .

Plus its 2024 will I still be even driving a GRC in 2035? .

Plus I want I new daily driver plain and simple so screw the hypothetical 🤣 I want a car I can rail in any type of weather daily🤣 My FiST does not fit the bill with out seasonal wheel and tire changes and I get you guys are used to that but ya I am in SoCal and not🤣

So ya no love my FiST not much love for Ford sorry guys. Time to relegate it to fun car.

Dialcaliper

Funny you should mention that the 3 cylinder turbo in the GRC is actually an engine that Toyota is going to be using in future Hydrogen fuel cell vehicles as well. They have big plans for the little power plant . Toyota has no plans for full EV they will make some EV and other alternatives.

Having owned and driven Japanese cars all my adult life and in my high school years i have seen Japanese car companies keep parts in stock for a good 25 years after manufacture.
Plus its Toyota and well their reputation as a great car company is quite a bit stronger than Fords at this point.

I know your gonna cry Newsome …wait cough….cough… actually you kinda already did with the all EV statement 🤣)
well that’s a mandate and quite honestly it’s an impossible one. Mandates are not laws they are goals and it was Political grandstanding on Newsome’s part.

Plus I want I new daily driver plain and simple so screw the hypothetical 🤣 I want a car I can rail in any type of weather daily🤣 My FiST does not fit the bill with out seasonal wheel and tire changes and I get you guys are used to that but ya I am in SoCal and not🤣

So ya no love my FiST not much love for Ford sorry guys. Time to relegate it to fun car.
If only California would get it’s head out and start CARB certifying “flex fuel” conversions for older vehicles. They know that even with the “new car” zero emissions mandate, the average lifetime of a car on the road is 12 years. That’s “average” which basically means that even in 2047, half the cars on the road will still be gasoline powered. That’s 23 years and beyond with a long tail from now where at least some decent fraction of those (a disproportionate number of which will be the ones sticking around past 2047) could be converted to run on E85, especially if they offered incentives.

We’re already to the point where California has almost a workable number of stations that offer E85, and growing.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
If only California would get it’s head out and start CARB certifying “flex fuel” conversions for older vehicles. They know that even with the “new car” zero emissions mandate, the average lifetime of a car on the road is 12 years. That’s “average” which basically means that even in 2047, half the cars on the road will still be gasoline powered. That’s 23 years and beyond with a long tail from now where at least some decent fraction of those (a disproportionate number of which will be the ones sticking around past 2047) could be converted to run on E85, especially if they offered incentives.

We’re already to the point where California has almost a workable number of stations that offer E85, and growing.
Ya I have a feeling the flex fuel thing has to do with the winter summer formulation thing. The mandate is silly because it’s not trying to eliminate gas powered cars period it’s tryin to eliminate the sale of new gas powered cars. Like EV’s are some magic bullet they aren’t and the tech is not there yet to make them that. Also the percentage of EV sales overall is like 1% currently lol .

Dialcaliper

Ya I have a feeling the flex fuel thing has to do with the winter summer formulation thing. The mandate is silly because it’s not trying to eliminate gas powered cars period it’s tryin to eliminate the sale of new gas powered cars. Like EV’s are some magic bullet they aren’t and the tech is not there yet to make them that. Also the percentage of EV sales overall is like 1% currently lol .
Nah, the winter/summer thing isn’t a problem at all, ever. Flex fuel conversions are legal in all 49 other states. Other alt fuels (LNG/Propane, Biodiesel, DIY Electric conversions) are all legal in California. It’s that the most eager proponents of E85 conversions are aftermarket tuners, and the anti-mod factions that have lobbied to steer CARB policies. Early on, people even tried to certify ethanol conversions and almost succeeded until CARB decided to just not approve flex fuel conversions.

The good news is that it sounds like Cobb is now on a crusade to get a kit approved in California, at least for Subaru. It would be pretty awesome to be able to fill E85 arbitrarily as available without worrying about carefully blending E30.

https://www.cobbtuning.com/nexgenflexfuel/

Also, this thread about Mountune short blocks has kind of gone off on a complete derailment 😅

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Nah, the winter/summer thing isn’t a problem at all, ever. Flex fuel conversions are legal in all 49 other states. Other alt fuels (LNG/Propane, Biodiesel, DIY Electric conversions) are all legal in California. It’s that the most eager proponents of E85 conversions are aftermarket tuners, and the anti-mod factions that have lobbied to steer CARB policies. Early on, people even tried to certify ethanol conversions and almost succeeded until CARB decided to just not approve flex fuel conversions.

The good news is that it sounds like Cobb is now on a crusade to get a kit approved in California, at least for Subaru. It would be pretty awesome to be able to fill E85 arbitrarily as available without worrying about carefully blending E30.

https://www.cobbtuning.com/nexgenflexfuel/

Also, this thread about Mountune short blocks has kind of gone off on a complete derailment 😅
Ok I am just putting out possibles as to why. Not saying it’s for sure but ya more power to COBB. As far as the thread going off the rails ya I was staying on topic per se as it was a why Mountune possibly does not have enough short blocks as I would hazard to say They were start with new fresh ones rather than used. I just pointed out that the engines were the latest victim of Fords disco policy making my 5 year old car seem like it’s more like 20 years old. I guess some owners just can’t accept the fact call it denial and are trying to say others will do so as well for some form of justifying the practice. No jistification it’s just bad business Policy on Fords part IMO.
Anyways we have killed the topic. thread done.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

I was not even inferring Cali, or Newsome, I meant nationally, and by ALL of the manufacturers, and NOT even by, or because of any laws or mandates, they are just all trending in that direction (yes, even eventually Toy, even with as much of a holdout on full electric as they seem to be currently).

Yes, I understand that you are living for today, while there still is fuel to put into it's tank, and an option for a ride like the GR, and KUDOS to you for being able to afford it and to source/procure one. [thumb]

I just know that if I really love a ride that much, I would want to keep it a LONG time, and would not become easily jaded with it, or have any thoughts that I would not, or could not be driving it 10 years down the line (referring to the GR here, I fully understand your various reasons and rationales regarding the FiST).

(I held onto my last ride for 16 years, and 225K miles from new.)

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I was not even inferring Cali, or Newsome, I meant nationally, and by ALL of the manufacturers, and NOT even by, or because of any laws or mandates, they are just all trending in that direction (yes, even eventually Toy, even with as much of a holdout on full electric as they seem to be currently).

Yes, I understand that you are living for today, while there still is fuel to put into it's tank, and an option for a ride like the GR, and KUDOS to you for being able to afford it and to source/procure one. [thumb]

I just know that if I really love a ride that much, I would want to keep it a LONG time, and would not become easily jaded with it, or have any thoughts that I would not, or could not be driving it 10 years down the line (referring to the GR here, I fully understand your various reasons and rationales regarding the FiST).

(I held onto my last ride for 16 years, and 225K miles from new.)
Fair enough and excuse me for thinking you were. I am getting my GRC for MSRP which is considered a deal now. Times have changed. 🤣I am keeping my Orange Spice machine. I just feel like daily driving something else and that is totally my perogative. There are a lot of other FoST, FoRS and FiST owners that have already made the jump . Its pretty wild actually how many there are.
I still love my FiST by the way It’s just a really strange thing to be ordering parts for my 97 BMW M3 from the dealer and I cannot even get the same part for my FiST that says a lot about things at Ford right there which I was alluding to earlier.