Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Bad knocking sound, anyone have any idea what this sound is?

Lord i hope its not rod knock, i got the car up on jacks and the noise is louder from the top than from the bottom. The car is being held at around 2krpm, you can hear it being let back down to idle then revved up again, its very loud when being held steady at any rpm from around 2k, seems louder at lower rpm though, if anyone has any insight about what this might be that would be great, thanks :)

View: https://youtu.be/qK0IFyE32ZI?si=Irw5Vl0Rd2VGyRxZ

Maybe drain some of the oil and look for shiny things. Next step would probably be to ask a shop to take the oil pan off and see if one or more rods are loose around the crank?

Last edited:
OP
V
Thread Starter #3
Maybe drain some of the and look for shiny things. Next step would probably be to ask a shop to take the oil pan off and see if one or more rods are loose around the crank?
Its going into the shop tomorrow to see whats going on, i think im shit out of luck though, dont have 8k spare for a new engine though :(

That Mountune MRX long block you've been lusting for, now is a good time to get it on order. Because no matter the cause that engine is toast. BTW, here in the USA that term means your engine is Done, there is nothing more you can do with it. Hopefully your import laws will allow you to import an aftermarket engine. If not, your only choice is a used engine from a Ford Escape (or whatever it's called down under) or a new engine at about 12,000 US dollars.

OP
V
Thread Starter #7
Well the mechanic was too busy and bailed on today, gotta find someone else on monday. I've been going over things myself in the mean time. So when pull the coil plug on cylinder 2 it gets VERY loud, then quiets down when i plug it back in. The noise seems to get much quieter when i just touch the throttle a little while driving it, it especially loud when holding at an rpm from around 2k. It also gets very loud for about half a second when i let off the throttle.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I strongly suspect that any mechanic is just going to have you spend money, telling you the obvious... that this car will require another engine.
If you do your own oil changes, may as well keep that money and check your oil for debris.
If there's debris, plan for another engine... though it's going to need one even on the off chance that there isn't any debris.

Given that this type of post seems unusual, what lead up to this? Low oil? Money shiftt? Extended time beyond red-line?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Well the mechanic was too busy and bailed on today, gotta find someone else on monday. I've been going over things myself in the mean time. So when pull the coil plug on cylinder 2 it gets VERY loud, then quiets down when i plug it back in. The noise seems to get much quieter when i just touch the throttle a little while driving it, it especially loud when holding at an rpm from around 2k. It also gets very loud for about half a second when i let off the throttle.
ya that sounds like a rod bearing basically you can drive it like is for awhile back when I was young 😂 I drove a 240z around on a rod knock like that for about 6 months lol. I knew it was toast and going to die and I was already doing a build so I was just like kill the thing for fun.😜It literally seized on me during a low rpm exit off the 101 freeway . I think I remember it punching a hole in the block in the process. Ya do not do that. 😂 Do yourself a favor and start looking for some kind of replacement now and don’t drive like that . I had a tow truck driver on permanent call in those days cause I bought and sold Z cars so it was not that big of deal. Oh and ya that was pre cell phone so it was find a phone booth 😂 Something some of you might find sounds completely foreign if not a what? 🤣

OP
V
Thread Starter #10
I strongly suspect that any mechanic is just going to have you spend money, telling you the obvious... that this car will require another engine.
If you do your own oil changes, may as well keep that money and check your oil for debris.
If there's debris, plan for another engine... though it's going to need one even on the off chance that there isn't any debris.

Given that this type of post seems unusual, what lead up to this? Low oil? Money shiftt? Extended time beyond red-line?

As far as I'm aware it was none of those things, oil level is fine, no bad shifts and I don't really bounce it off the limiter. I don't usually do anything too crazy because I can't afford a new engine :ROFLMAO: just gotta pray it lasts me a bit longer I guess.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
@Dpro - What are the chances that the valves are still good?

If it's strictly a defect and not a result of some form of abuse, it may have life in it still. Crosshatching on the cylinder walls may still be good? In that situation I might consider rebuilding the bottom end or finding a junkyard donor. Junkyard engines can be a toss-up but honing in on vehicle that is there for having been wrecked (or dragged by a tow truck - https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/what-did-your-ford-fiesta-st-replace.1165/post-507782) is a good strategy. Unfortunately junkyard parts aren't cheap anymore. But it's still less than new.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
@Dpro - What are the chances that the valves are still good?

If it's strictly a defect and not a result of some form of abuse, it may have life in it still. Crosshatching on the cylinder walls may still be good? In that situation I might consider rebuilding the bottom end or finding a junkyard donor. Junkyard engines can be a toss-up but honing in on vehicle that is there for having been wrecked (or dragged by a tow truck - https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/what-did-your-ford-fiesta-st-replace.1165/post-507782) is a good strategy. Unfortunately junkyard parts aren't cheap anymore. But it's still less than new.
It really depends on the mileage when you have to head off already it’s usually not that expensive to do a valve job and since one is there it’s good longevity maintenance. I would say yes an engine like his is a good candidate for a rebuild. Before it blows up and becomes scrap metal.

On the downside, if you continue to drive it, whatever your pick up screen or oil filter doesn't catch is going to end up going through the turbo, which will eventually kill it as well. Not so much a worry with an NA engine. Best bet is a cheap used engine out of an escape if they are in your country or find any other vehicle Ford may have sold there with the 1.6T. Good luck.

On the downside, if you continue to drive it, whatever your pick up screen or oil filter doesn't catch is going to end up going through the turbo, which will eventually kill it as well. Not so much a worry with an NA engine. Best bet is a cheap used engine out of an escape if they are in your country or find any other vehicle Ford may have sold there with the 1.6T. Good luck.
Got any news???

OP
V
Thread Starter #16
Well some relatively good news, no spun bearings, no stuck valves. Turns out its the turbo thats gone, so as far as things go its not cheap but its A LOT cheaper then a whole new engine :D bit if a weight off my shoulders tbh.

...but you know, since the turbo is being replaced anyway, seems like a shame to not put something in that can make a little more boost if the budget can fit it. Does anyone have some info on Turbos that might be good/what i will need? currently have the diverter valve, intercooler, rear engine mount, and a high flow KnN filter with a collins performace tune. not looking to make more than say 250 at the wheels, are there any good budget options? thanks yall :)

OP
V
Thread Starter #18
Turbo Technics S280 and don’t look back.
Honestly as good as that sounds i need to keep things to a budget and theres gonna be too much in terms of supporting mods to make that turbo work. Its a lot more power than i am really looking to make too, its a daily and im not looking to wring out every last bit from the car. i was maaaaybe looking at the s270 package from collins performance but i really dont need that much power, so i would rather get something that will work with my stage 1 intercooler etc.

Then Whoosh Hybrid is the answer.
I’ve had many turbos fail and never had one make a knocking sound. Weird.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I think we have a new phrase here... "turbo knock" ???
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=turbo+knock
Seems that way. Yeesh, never would've guessed that from the video.
That is very wonderful news!
Wonder what made the service tech hone-in on the turbo?
Wonder if that's the exhaust vane or intake?
What prevents a turbo from sending garbage into the intake?
If that turbo blows up, assuming it hasn't already, wouldn't it ruin the engine if on the intake side?