Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Are big turbos worthwhile and hows the reliabilitys

AzNightmare

How much power you wanna make?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Probably like 260-270~? I'm not really chasing numbers cause I don't really do any sort of racing. But I know the local fuel I have is not great... like 91, so there's that too.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Probably like 260-270~? I'm not really chasing numbers cause I don't really do any sort of racing. But I know the local fuel I have is not great... like 91, so there's that too.
S280* gen2s are for Big Boys casing Big power

I have the same problem where I am in BC. I can't buy 93 within an hours drive and no E30. That's why I went with the S280. Ron at Whoosh said it would make more power on 91 than a hybrid. I figure he knows what he's talking about so I went with the S280, and I'm glad I did. Easy install and I like how it spools. A little softer than stock at the bottom end but a much wider over all power band.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I have the same problem where I am in BC. I can't buy 93 within an hours drive and no E30. That's why I went with the S280. Ron at Whoosh said it would make more power on 91 than a hybrid. I figure he knows what he's talking about so I went with the S280, and I'm glad I did. Easy install and I like how it spools. A little softer than stock at the bottom end but a much wider over all power band.
I can attest to that. I am making 284 whp on 91 with the S280. I do have E85 nearby so I do plan on tuning for E85 . I was going to do a 93 E30 tune, if I went any farther tune wise on E30 I would need a fuel system upgrade.
Truth be told with an upgraded fuel system and E30 a S280 will give a GT2860 gen II a run for its money . 350-380 WHP is totally achievable Adam proved with his trash Fiesta.

AzNightmare

I was under the impression the Hybrid or S280 were similar on pump 91 or maybe even 93, but if you have access to ethanol, the S280 has a much higher ceiling.

What do you mean by softer than stock at the bottom end?
bottom end is pretty important for me cause 75% of my driving is in the city, lol.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I was under the impression the Hybrid or S280 were similar on pump 91 or maybe even 93, but if you have access to ethanol, the S280 has a much higher ceiling.

bottom end is pretty important for me cause 75% of my driving is in the city, lol.
No Donkey kick* that's what he means I do believe.

Dpro

6000 Post Club

Ok I drove my friends car today that is stock with OTS cobb tune and Wavetrac among other things. He drove my car with S280 and gave me his impressions and I quote “I like the linear feel of power with the S280” he said he felt the car felt stock down low but when the power comes and that happens quickly its just pulls.
As far as soft down low there is maybe about 50 ftlbs less torque between 2000 and 2500 with the S280. Which results in a little bit of a feeling like it does not kick quite as hard in that area.
edit insert….
I should add this is born out if one goes into the the thread were dyno sheets have been posted and compares them to a dyno sheet with just a tune.
……

Though fact is that Donkey kick while fun is not all that useable with our gearing as you spin tires and just rev up quick and shift out and with the stock setup and hybrids to a lesser extent but still that TQ band dies early.
Whereas the with the s280 it just drives stock like and then once it spools you just go . In other words less tire spin more hookup equals more speed.

Last edited:

AzNightmare

After a lot of reading, I may consider the S280 instead now, but mainly because everyone seems to be talking about it and doesn't seem like anyone's vouching for (or actually owns a) whoosh hybrid anymore..
Although I still love that donkey kick I get in my oem turbo. My tires never spun in 1st or 2nd unless it's raining. So I'm not sure I'm experiencing the same thing everyone else is.
Is this donkey kick more of a product of tuning or characteristics of a hybrid/oem turbo? Any chance I can still get a bit of donkey kick in the S280?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
After a lot of reading, I may consider the S280 instead now, but mainly because everyone seems to be talking about it and doesn't seem like anyone's vouching for (or actually owns a) whoosh hybrid anymore..
Although I still love that donkey kick I get in my oem turbo. My tires never spun in 1st or 2nd unless it's raining. So I'm not sure I'm experiencing the same thing everyone else is.
Is this donkey kick more of a product of tuning or characteristics of a hybrid/oem turbo? Any chance I can still get a bit of donkey kick in the S280?
The donkey kick is a tuning and hybrid thing. Look at any of the dyno charts for a Hybrid and you will see it.
Yes you can have the S280 tuned more towards donkey kick my initial tuner on my S280 tuned that way but it started spitting codes and one was a common exceeding TQ code. Which in the tuners world not getting ones TQ tables right. It was explained away by my tuner as because Cobb and Ford. After it spit more codes I went to Adam @Tuneplus. Ya I do not have that Donkey so much anymore but I have a ten times more drivable car that rips when I want it too yet is docile when needed.

Last edited:
Strangely love torque steer keeps you on your toes and feels like you are driving a monster ;)

Yeh buddy agree with you after maxing out the stock turbo

High end power beats low end all day long my friend
High end power is not ideal for most street conditions. Low to mids are where 95% of people even in performance cars drive.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
High end power is not ideal for most street conditions. Low to mids are where 95% of people even in performance cars drive.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Yes and no. It all depends on the gearing of the car. I get where you are coming from though because TQ is always better on the street as its more needed to get cars rolling from a stop HP is a functioning of TQ that keeps the car rolling.
With that said when it comes to our cars and the TQ we are talking about our cars can just get stupid in the TQ department real quick even a tune on the stock turbo giving you the ridiculously silly donkey kick is a laugh a minute . Till one tires of spinning their tires everytime they gun it in the first two gears. Plus the trade off on our cars for all that silly TQ down low is rev band that falls flat on its face power wise after 4500 rpm.
So you have a choice insane silly giggles of TQ down low that runs out early in a engine that loves being wound up to 6500-6800 all day long where their is no power to be had. Or a Turbo that retains stock like characteristics down low. but then gets up and goes like hell in the midrange and top end. Sure you do not need that top end much but in your own words mid range is very important. On a stock setup with a tune midrange is starting to die off hard. In a Hybrid you still have some midrange and a bit of top end except your running a stock frame turbo at its peak of ability so to speak.
Whereas with a bigger turbo like the s280 its running more efficiently and not at the peak of its ability to output the power. That spells longevity.
Its all up to what a person wants . I cannot fault someone for wanting and using a hybrid. They are fun. Yet if you want to talk about drivability daily I do feel a s280 is actually better suited.
My buddy drove my car yesterday his words to me being impressed how it seamlessly integrated into the chassis tune wise was “ if someone told me the car came stock from the factory this way it would be believable“ Thats not a diss as it meant the setup gave the car a lot of extra power but not at the expense of drivability.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
In a Hybrid you still have some midrange and a bit of top end except your running a stock frame turbo at its peak of ability so to speak.
Whereas with a bigger turbo like the s280 its running more efficiently and not at the peak of its ability to output the power. That spells longevity.
^^^THIS would be my main reason for choosing an S280 over a hybrid, even if I was totally stuck with ONLY city driving, where I could barely use it's bountiful mid range, let alone it's strong top end. [wink] [thumb]

Woods247

2000 Post Club
I love reading about how hybrids suck because of wheel spin lol.