Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Are big turbos worthwhile and hows the reliabilitys

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Rb’s and inline 6’s-the sound of my people haha. Im very lucky to call a couple 1xxxhp r32’s my friends and as im sure you know~ nothing like a rb screaming to 9k haha.
Sure the fiesta s280 is “fast” for its platform, but i continue to get reminded of what real power feels like. Then i get back into the fiesta with my tail between my legs, driving like a grandma because it feels like a fucking snail LOL
Depressing, isn’t it? Even with bigger turbo there’s something to be said for driving a car that never scares you, no matter how hard you push it. Driving a car that’s so fast and can break loose so easily it scares the shit out of you is only fun every so often.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
lol, take the car to the canyons or a mountain pass and it'll get scary well before you can max your car out.
Used to live in and still spend tons of time in the NC mountains and haven’t ever had the fiesta scare me. I’ve scared myself plenty of times trying to push the grip limit but the car is reasonably powered and extremely predictable even when you exceed the limit. Two of the the main reasons I love the thing. Doesn’t punish you for over driving it.

Used to live in and still spend tons of time in the NC mountains and haven’t ever had the fiesta scare me. I’ve scared myself plenty of times trying to push the grip limit but the car is reasonably powered and extremely predictable even when you exceed the limit. Two of the the main reasons I love the thing. Doesn’t punish you for over driving it.
It is extremely forgiving. Even when it had rested its limit, if driven properly, it’s so easy to manage. I give it that

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Depressing, isn’t it? Even with bigger turbo there’s something to be said for driving a car that never scares you, no matter how hard you push it. Driving a car that’s so fast and can break loose so easily it scares the shit out of you is only fun every so often.
I am not depressed that my car does not scare the shit out of me. Personally I don’t drive cars to be terrified. I drive them to have fun. I drove a buddies car a couple weeks back its got suspension with LSD , steering rack bushings and control arm bushings and braces. I was totally expecting to climb into and immediately be let down by the lack of power compared to my car. I was mildly surprised to find I absolutely still loved how it drove.
I went with a S280 on my car for the sake of keeping up and passing more powerful cars on the straights. In the corners I never had any issues I could drive this car through corners much faster than cars costing two and three times more.
So ya does it scare me? No does it make me laugh hard at how ridiculously well a seemingly innocuous car drives a resounding yes. There is something raw and direct about this car that is lost with a lot of modern cars. There are few cars in this category of ability and fewer in the class of car it is. Consumer utilatarian hatchback turned into fun car, aka Hot Hatch.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I am not depressed that my car does not scare the shit out of me. Personally I don’t drive cars to be terrified. I drive them to have fun. I drove a buddies car a couple weeks back its got suspension with LSD , steering rack bushings and control arm bushings and braces. I was totally expecting to climb into and immediately be let down by the lack of power compared to my car. I was mildly surprised to find I absolutely still loved how it drove.
I went with a S280 on my car for the sake of keeping up and passing more powerful cars on the straights. In the corners I never had any issues I could drive this car through corners much faster than cars costing two and three times more.
So ya does it scare me? No does it make me laugh hard at how ridiculously well a seemingly innocuous car drives a resounding yes. There is something raw and direct about this car that is lost with a lot of modern cars. There are few cars in this category of ability and fewer in the class of car it is. Consumer utilatarian hatchback turned into fun car, aka Hot Hatch.
100%. Built a scary car. Only drive it slow because it’s too scary to drive fast outside of a track environment. I enjoy the fiesta way more.

PhoenixM3

I think it feels quick, but its less like an on/off switch and more like a rheostat IYKWIM. I think it's easier to put the power down without excessive wheel spin than the stock turbo. It also doesn't crap out at 4500 rpm like the stock turbo.....you can really stretch it out in second and third gear.
......and fourth gear, and fifth gear.

anticon

I've been thinking lately if I did it all over again what car would I choose and I'm pretty sure I would arrive at the same decision. I needed a car that could hold my family of four at times, daily commute, great value i.e. less than $20k, but still have fun on the weekends, and I can get in the US. The Fiesta has got to still be THE best option.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I've been thinking lately if I did it all over again what car would I choose and I'm pretty sure I would arrive at the same decision. I needed a car that could hold my family of four at times, daily commute, great value i.e. less than $20k, but still have fun on the weekends, and I can get in the US. The Fiesta has got to still be THE best option.
Once I learned of the car, I knew it would be my next car. I joined this forum in '14, I believe.
Bought a new '17 in Dec '17. It was great fun, completely stock.

This convinced me.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMtk57OVgjU

With the mods it's gotten since, it's even funner.

anticon

Once I learned of the car, I knew it would be my next car. I joined this forum in '14, I believe.
Bought a new '17 in Dec '17. It was great fun, completely stock.

This convinced me.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMtk57OVgjU

With the mods it's gotten since, it's even funner.
That's when I got mine. I am getting close to finishing the build, with whoosh hybrid turbo, and mfactory LSD, along with some minor brake upgrades I should be set.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
That's when I got mine. I am getting close to finishing the build, with whoosh hybrid turbo, and mfactory LSD, along with some minor brake upgrades I should be set.
The aftermarket for this specific car is insane.

Anything you want. For a car that is no longer sold in the western hemisphere.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The aftermarket for this specific car is insane.

Anything you want. For a car that is no longer sold in the western hemisphere.
Except for gravel capable/reliable, factory ride height, affordable (i.e.; under $3K-$7K a set) coil overs, and UHP 215/45-16 all season tires that is. [:(]

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Aftermarket for the Fiesta ST is mediocre at best. Lots of empty gaps in the market because the user base is so small.