Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

ATP Turbo upgrade

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Agreed. And the ATP turbo comes with the upgraded charge pipe already anyway. I would go with a full 3" turbo back (not a 3" DP that necks to 2.5") exhaust, upgraded IC, upgraded all charge pipes and definitely upgraded intake.
You do realize they're making that power with a DP and stock CBE? Contrary to popular belief that a turbo needs the most breathing room possible, my understanding is that engine just doesn't move enough air to need a 3" exhaust.

iso100

1000 Post Club
Probably not but barring any real price difference it gives more he headroom just in case someone really wants to push it.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I hope someone does this soon.
So we can find out at what level the engine grenades.

I remember when we did this on Minis about 8 years ago and continued to brake pistons.
That was the weak link on that car.

Dave

iso100

1000 Post Club
The 2.3 lima block found in the XR4Ti and Thunderbird Turbocoupe is good for about 400whp if anyone is placing bets...

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Rods tend to be th weak point in the Truck ecoboost. Im sure the same materials are used here in this motor. Im saying 300-350 max.

I will most likely do the gt25 soon! I want to get some track days in with the stock turbo but want more power!

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
1987 honda B16's can handle 350whp.
Juss say'n :)
They also weren't direct injection. What do you think? Let me guess 400+ on stock internals. Perspective is the part you guys are forgetting which is tq. I suggest you look at the mazdaspeed 3 and look at there limits. Tq is the killer not hp.

You guys keep saying you want more power. If you wanted 300+ should have bought a stang or a focus. Made it a lot easier on yourself.

pwnall1337

Vendor
They also weren't direct injection. What do you think? Let me guess 400+ on stock internals. Perspective is the part you guys are forgetting which is tq. I suggest you look at the mazdaspeed 3 and look at there limits. Tq is the killer not hp.

You guys keep saying you want more power. If you wanted 300+ should have bought a stang or a focus. Made it a lot easier on yourself.
If torque is the killer than we're good. The lil 1.6 ecoboost torque drops off with a bigger turbo , so you could be looking at 290 wtq and 350 fwhp potential with the gt2860r

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
If torque is the killer than we're good. The lil 1.6 ecoboost torque drops off with a bigger turbo , so you could be looking at 290 wtq and 350 fwhp potential with the gt2860r
Correct depending upon internal strength. I have a hard time believing ford changed the motor much internally based upon the fusion and to save cost.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Srt4 had cast pistons and held 409whp and 505 TORQUE for over 2 years. I got greedy and ran it one night and ran it without race gas and broke a ringland.

This was 24.5psi and a 100shot.

Also... Direction injection is actually going to make it easier to run more power than an older can.

I also agree with torque not going to be an issue when the turbo is swapped. No way around it, when that stock turbo goes, its not going to be rod bending low rpm torque anymore.

To argue with myself, lol. The B16 also turns 8200rpms. We don't have that kind of rpm left in our engine. That extra 1200+ rpms means a bigger turbo, and more power in the end game.

I'll stick with a flat solid 350whp 320torque on a maxed out proper turbo setup with a great tune and Race gas.

Edit: the srt4 also had an iron block and closed deck and 50% more cubic inches, so its not apples to apples. The B16 is the best comparable motor, just.... We can't touch its 8200rpm. Or can we? Lol.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Srt4 had cast pistons and held 409whp and 505 TORQUE for over 2 years. I got greedy and ran it one night and ran it without race gas and broke a ringland.

This was 24.5psi and a 100shot.

Also... Direction injection is actually going to make it easier to run more power than an older can.

I also agree with torque not going to be an issue when the turbo is swapped. No way around it, when that stock turbo goes, its not going to be rod bending low rpm torque anymore.

To argue with myself, lol. The B16 also turns 8200rpms. We don't have that kind of rpm left in our engine. That extra 1200+ rpms means a bigger turbo, and more power in the end game.

I'll stick with a flat solid 350whp 320torque on a maxed out proper turbo setup with a great tune and Race gas.

Edit: the srt4 also had an iron block and closed deck and 50% more cubic inches, so its not apples to apples. The B16 is the best comparable motor, just.... We can't touch its 8200rpm. Or can we? Lol.
Thats great your Srt4 did that. This isnt a Srt4. Its a 1.6 not a 2.4. No it doesnt make it easier. The biggest problem with DI is adding fuel. Ive yet to see a pump upgrade such as is offered on the MS3.

iso100

1000 Post Club
Is there evidence that we're already maxing out the injector duty cycle? Or are you just guessing.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Pictures have been posted showing we share parts with the focus ST, which makes 380whp currently with a stock fuel system.

What everyone doesn't reallize is that even if you maxed out the fuel system at 300whp, its not a big deal add more fuel still, its just not going to come from the stock DFI.

And... If you read, I mentioned that the srt4 is a poor comparison.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Pictures have been posted showing we share parts with the focus ST, which makes 380whp currently with a stock fuel system.

What everyone doesn't reallize is that even if you maxed out the fuel system at 300whp, its not a big deal add more fuel still, its just not going to come from the stock DFI.

And... If you read, I mentioned that the srt4 is a poor comparison.
The question is do we share pumps? Adding more fuel is more difficult then one might think. 1600psi is pretty difficult to achieve and adding fuel around it will be complex.
Pics have been shared. That's great. Not conclusive.

I'm curious how you would add fuel in a not complex way.

iso100

1000 Post Club
I know the FRP is at ~2300psi and increasing pressure means a new high pressure mechanical fuel pump (driven by the camshaft)... so it's definitely not an easy upgrade if required. I'm just not sold on the notion that it's required.

A tune plus much larger injectors means more fuel per injector pulse...