Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

ATP Turbo upgrade

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
99.99% of the time you're not getting the warrantied part. I made up that stat, but the point is true.

iso100

1000 Post Club
I don't think there are a surplus of remanufactured transmissions floating around because not many other cars have the tiny manual 6 speed.

TW@

My car is at the dealer now most likely getting a new transmission at 2400 miles. I think it's a manufacturing error though, not something that can't handle the power.
What happened to it?

iso100

1000 Post Club
Don't know for sure yet. It has gotten progressively louder with a whine under load. Service guy said it sounded like ring and pinion noise. I'll know more once they have it apart.

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
try to stay on topic guys, there are threads to discuss all things.
please keep this about ATP Turbo Upgrades

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Unfortunately I have not been able to order the turbo yet, I had to order parts for other projects, audio gear for the three installs, $350 in aluminum to stiffen up the loading ramp on the trailer as it was it was bending a scary amount, lucky I did not ruin a $2k ramp!

Now I have a set of "Race Ramps" as the car sits to low even stock to go up the steep ramp of the toyhauler trailer, those cost $440, $350 in aluminum and bolts, $75 in heavier duty tie downs and bolts and $20 in chocks, $885 which does not include the tie down straps but I have had those for a few years, sure adds up fast!

Good thing I was able to register in in MT, no sales tax, saved enough on it to pay for a turbo and manifold...but now I need to sell more parts to get the funds saved up again but the EFR will be worth every penny and more:)

iso100

1000 Post Club
That thing is a work of art. The fact that they offer two sizes is icing. Well worth it in my opinion.

If I can try to sum my understanding, so I can make a cliffnotes version of this for my own reference (I desperately want a turbo upgrade XD), I feel like I'm reading that the 300-350 hp turbos by ATP are, realistically, the ones that are truly "bolt-on", in that you don't have to do anything else to the actual mechanics of the vehicle (pump, etc.).

I know it's wise to upgrade the IC, piping, etc. But, and correct me if I'm wrong (please), but I'm looking at the 2554 because (a) 300 hp is fine with me, I just want a turbo upgrade, and more importantly (b), as the smallest, it's the closest to the factory's spec, so the least-likely to put excess strain on the rods, shafts, and linkages. Does this sound accurate?

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
If I can try to sum my understanding, so I can make a cliffnotes version of this for my own reference (I desperately want a turbo upgrade XD), I feel like I'm reading that the 300-350 hp turbos by ATP are, realistically, the ones that are truly "bolt-on", in that you don't have to do anything else to the actual mechanics of the vehicle (pump, etc.).

I know it's wise to upgrade the IC, piping, etc. But, and correct me if I'm wrong (please), but I'm looking at the 2554 because (a) 300 hp is fine with me, I just want a turbo upgrade, and more importantly (b), as the smallest, it's the closest to the factory's spec, so the least-likely to put excess strain on the rods, shafts, and linkages. Does this sound accurate?
You need to research more before even considering a turbo upgrade. Bolt on means just that. It bolts on to your mani and DP. You will need a IC, Exhaust and DP to get max power. Smallest turbo has nothing to do with strain. Notice how the Tq curve changes but the number doesnt. TQ breaks rods not HP.

Yes, the ATP turbos are "bolt-on" upgrades. This means that it will bolt up to the existing manifold and downpipe. No one really knows the stress point of our internals, so let us know :) I would recommend upgrading the IC only because tests have shown the stock IC has a hard time keeping up with Stage 3 setups on the OEM turbo. Also, you will need a tune for the new turbo, so make sure you get that as well.