Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Be really careful running ethanol (E30, E40, etc.)

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I will agree with an old man with experience, over a piece of paper any day.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have not even looked into this much at all as simple logic and common sense dictate what actually is likely the case which in this case, unless PROVEN, which has not happened here, just taking a stand, saying something is so, not backing it up when asked to do so....has nothing to do with "a piece of paper" :)

"Show me the money"

Which I would love to see, really:)

I have out engineered quite a few engineers due to vastly more real world experience in many different fields. A degree does not trump a lifetime of actually designing and or redisigning things.

Reminds me of the head of QA at a very big rocket manf, hired 10 new graduates from MIT each year then assigned them make believe projects, end of the year one or two left got a job, the rest quite due to ego, could not make the cut, etc....everything the plant built had to be signed off by this guy, at the time 38 years experience, started out sweeping floors, never went to college. That is a real engineer.

I do not know your specific background but I do highly respect the engineering field and wish I had pursued it myself but I just have to rely on my 50 years of modding cars and listening to those that really know, no matter if they have a degree or not.

The keys to being able to do the many varied things I have done is having an open mind, knowing there are those that know more than I do, research, ask questions, never believe I know it all as that is impossible for anybody, willing to learn, willing to actually listen...ego in check....

Show us actually scientifically proven (within the limits of real science as it can always change the more that is learned) explanation of why it is safe to "floor it at 3200 RPM" under various real world load conditions if you want us without a degree to believe you, until that happens it is just posing;)

Have a great evening:)
Rick
What you say sounds an awful lot like Smokey Yunick, a guy I always enjoyed learning from through his writing and also an IndyCar and NASCAR legend and pariah. The world needs more like him, though in this day of chassis kits, templates and aero packages, there is probably not a place for a guy like him. If you have not read his book, I recommend it to you very strongly. As far as the response your post elicited, the moderators here have made it quite clear recently that name calling might belong somewhere, but not here. This is great forum. It’s just too bad that the people who build themselves up by gratuitously insulting others won’t just go elsewhere. At least we don’t have to put up with them in real life.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I will agree with an old man with experience, over a piece of paper any day.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Experience from two track days? LOL

I agree; that piece of paper means nothing. He was trying to make a point about BRGT350 being an engineer so his opinion should mean more. But like you said, it is just a piece of paper. Nevermind that I've done 3 track days and an autocross in my FiST in the year I've owned it. Nevermind that I've been racing competitively for 2 decades, from shifter karts to Baby Grand Nationals to NASA SUO and Lemons and rallycross. Ya, let's listen to the theory and not the REAL experience. Lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

GAbOS

I agree; that piece of paper means nothing. He was trying to make a point about BRGT350 being an engineer so his opinion should mean more. But like you said, it is just a piece of paper. Nevermind that I've done 3 track days and an autocross in my FiST in the year I've owned it. Nevermind that I've been racing competitively for 2 decades, from shifter karts to Baby Grand Nationals to NASA SUO and Lemons and rallycross. Ya, let's listen to the theory and not the REAL experience. Lol

You are barking up the wrong tree, Alex. Rick only mentioned his experience in his FiST and he was being extremely humble about it. If he were to drop his life experience, outside the Fiesta, you would feel real dumb. I've met the guy in real life and had many discussions with him. His experience as a whole makes you look like a new born.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

AzNightmare

Damn.... I blip hard and drop it to 4th when I want to pass on the highway. I love that pull.
6th and 5th feel too slow. I guess I've been doing it wrong all this time...

GAbOS

At my highway speeds, 80mph, dropping to 4th puts me at 4500rpm which is where torque begins to fall off on the stock turbo. Below is a gear calc for our car.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

BRGT350

1000 Post Club

Please refrain from bringing me into this.

GAbOS

This thread dropped off quick once real calcs were introduced, eh?

Just goes to show. Drop facts instead of emotion people.

Your "Use Case" may be different than mine, or his, or hers. Same frustration we all get when a person drops a "Here's my exhaust sound" with no info, or "here's my wheels no one has ever seen before" with no real info.

Keep the data legit and keep emotion out of it.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Click the following text: http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...instead-of-5th?p=240992&viewfull=1#post240992

60 Seconds / 5,000 Rotations = 0.012 Second/Rotation
1 Second / 0.012 Rotation = 83⅓ Rotations/Second

Who among us can actually imagine something moving up and then down, over 83 times in a single second?

People who drive with coffee cups on their dash aside, "lug" their engine every time they take off from a complete stop. "Lugging" is only bad from the standpoint that doing so for *prolonged* periods will out-pace the cooling system. (water pump turns at engine RPM; pre-ignition is typically associated with overheating)

Bottom line, unless you're heading up a mountain, don't worry about it. For multiple reasons, (see link above,) engines generally experience less wear at lower RPMs.

On my naturally aspirated engine, I wouldn't hesitate to floor it at lower RPMs. (for its intake/head/engine design, higher RPMs were all but virtually useless anyway) If the engineers did their jobs with Eco Boost engines, pressure and flow rates should be greater than N/A in order to accommodate the turbo. For example, due to spool-down time, the owner's manual warns not to rev the engine then immediately shut it down. Supposedly, Eco-Boost engines were designed from beginning to end, with turbo as a primary part of the engine; not an add-on afterthought as implied earlier. The point, higher loads at lower RPMs won't damage or wear any more than unnecessarily running the RPMs up.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Click the following text: http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...instead-of-5th?p=240992&viewfull=1#post240992

60 Seconds / 5,000 Rotations = 0.012 Second/Rotation
1 Second / 0.012 Rotation = 83⅓ Rotations/Second

Who among us can actually imagine something moving up and then down, over 83 times in a single second?

People who drive with coffee cups on their dash aside, "lug" their engine every time they take off from a complete stop. "Lugging" is only bad from the standpoint that doing so for *prolonged* periods will out-pace the cooling system. (water pump turns at engine RPM; pre-ignition is typically associated with overheating)

Bottom line, unless you're heading up a mountain, don't worry about it. For multiple reasons, (see link above,) engines generally experience less wear at lower RPMs.

On my naturally aspirated engine, I wouldn't hesitate to floor it at lower RPMs. (for its intake/head/engine design, higher RPMs were all but virtually useless anyway) If the engineers did their jobs with Eco Boost engines, pressure and flow rates should be greater than N/A in order to accommodate the turbo. For example, due to spool-down time, the owner's manual warns not to rev the engine then immediately shut it down. Supposedly, Eco-Boost engines were designed from beginning to end, with turbo as a primary part of the engine; not an add-on afterthought as implied earlier. The point, higher loads at lower RPMs won't damage or wear any more than unnecessarily running the RPMs up.
Not taking into account LSPI .