Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Bedding in different brake pads at the same time?

Going to (hopefully) be installing a Wilwood front brake kit and SVT rear bracket/rotors/yellowstuff pads to my FiST this weekend. That is assuming the Fedex person accepts my note as to why I can’t be there to sign for the package tomorrow because I’ll be at work, but I digress.

I’ve looked at the Wilwood bed-in process and EBC’s process, but they both have pretty different bed in procedures. Wilwood says to warm them up slowly, then do the pretty standard 8-10 65mph-25mph method then let them completely cool. That is what I’ve done in the past with other cars as well. EBC says to drive them for 50-100 miles to get the break-in compound off and then do the bed in from a much higher speed (85mph - 35mph).

So, which one should I follow or should I try and do them both separately? Eg: put the rears on, drive around for 50-100 miles and then put the fronts on and bed them all in together. Will it honestly even matter? Anyone else ran into this issue with braking in separate pads?
Thanks in advance! Really excited to see how these new brakes do on the track later this year.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Going to (hopefully) be installing a Wilwood front brake kit and SVT rear bracket/rotors/yellowstuff pads to my FiST this weekend. That is assuming the Fedex person accepts my note as to why I can’t be there to sign for the package tomorrow because I’ll be at work, but I digress.

I’ve looked at the Wilwood bed-in process and EBC’s process, but they both have pretty different bed in procedures. Wilwood says to warm them up slowly, then do the pretty standard 8-10 65mph-25mph method then let them completely cool. That is what I’ve done in the past with other cars as well. EBC says to drive them for 50-100 miles to get the break-in compound off and then do the bed in from a much higher speed (85mph - 35mph).

So, which one should I follow or should I try and do them both separately? Eg: put the rears on, drive around for 50-100 miles and then put the fronts on and bed them all in together. Will it honestly even matter? Anyone else ran into this issue with braking in separate pads?
Thanks in advance! Really excited to see how these new brakes do on the track later this year.
Do them separate from one another....starting with the Front* and then do the rears next weekend. That's what I would do. Good luck

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
V
Thread Starter #3
Do them separate from one another....starting with the Front* and then do the rears next weekend. That's what I would do. Good luck

That is kinda what I was thinking. But maybe doing the rears first since those will be the EBC’s and require the longer pre-bed-in time.

Any danger of re-bedding the pads say a weekend apart? I’d kinda doubt it seeing as how the bed in is partly to make them stand up to getting hot,

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
That is kinda what I was thinking. But maybe doing the rears first since those will be the EBC’s and require the longer pre-bed-in time.

Any danger of re-bedding the pads say a weekend apart? I’d kinda doubt it seeing as how the bed in is partly to make them stand up to getting hot,
Think about it* the fronts take the least time. So why not do those first and the EBC last as they take longer. It's your FiST...do as you wish.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club

I would agree with this except I'd do the rears first. Here is my logic on this. The fronts do most of the braking on most vehicles so doing them first would and then the rear would be like doing the bedding in twice for the fronts versus doing the rears first. The rears don't do as much of the braking so a lower impact on those rear pads if the do the fronts the next weekend. Or you could combine the process. Install the rears, drive the miles you need and then just do the front bedding in process with both sets in place. Or maybe like 75-25 so speeds in between the 2 recommended procedures.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
V
Thread Starter #6
I would agree with this except I'd do the rears first. Here is my logic on this. The fronts do most of the braking on most vehicles so doing them first would and then the rear would be like doing the bedding in twice for the fronts versus doing the rears first. The rears don't do as much of the braking so a lower impact on those rear pads if the do the fronts the next weekend. Or you could combine the process. Install the rears, drive the miles you need and then just do the front bedding in process with both sets in place. Or maybe like 75-25 so speeds in between the 2 recommended procedures.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
This was my thought process too. All I know is that I definitely won’t be doing ebc’s 80-30 method. I would only be able to do that on the freeway around me, and that would still be 15-20mph over the speed limit to a practical crawl repeatedly. Not very safe to do on a main interstate IMO. 65-25 is probably what I’ll go with, I have a nice stretch of quiet road by my house that I can do laps around at that speed.

Last edited: