Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Before and after Walnut blasting Dyno results

kevinatfms

Borescope it before spending $400+ on walnut blasting. They have 20ft bluetooth versions on amazon that pair right to your phone. Pull charge pipe off/ throttle body off and stuff the camera up into it.

Mine look fine at 60k miles and only have recently put a catch can on it. The factory PCV system has a catch can of sorts(vent valve separator) on the front side of the block that drains back into the oil pan. So its not as bad as other manufacturers with oil build up.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Borescope it before spending $400+ on walnut blasting. They have 20ft bluetooth versions on amazon that pair right to your phone. Pull charge pipe off/ throttle body off and stuff the camera up into it.

Mine look fine at 60k miles and only have recently put a catch can on it. The factory PCV system has a catch can of sorts(vent valve separator) on the front side of the block that drains back into the oil pan. So its not as bad as other manufacturers with oil build up.
Agreed. At 100k, my car needed to be blasted but definitely wasn’t horrible yet

OP
Stkid93

Stkid93

Premium Account
Thread Starter #23
It also is heavily dependant on how you drive, and the type of oil used. Newer oils are made to handle direct injection better, as something like 60% of all new cars sold today are turbo and direct injection. And probably another 20% are direct injection NA. So with 80+ % of all new cars being DI in some form (either turbo or NA) companies needed to innovate and make oils that could better deal with fuel dilution, and carbon build up. Especially since the gas companies can put as much cleaning solvents they want in the fuel, but it won’t matter since the fuel never touches the valves. So all the heavy lifting is on the oil now, they have made good strides with both of these. But it will never be perfect. Good oil can only do so much.

The other part being driving habits. If all you do are quick trips that never let the motor fully heat up, you will have a lot more carbon build up. As the motor never gets hot enough to get the oil to operating temp for long periods of time, which helps to burn off the carbon and the fuel build up in the oil.

i know plenty of mechanics that suggest that anyone who takes a lot of short trips should go on a long ish drive at least once a month or so, to really get the build up burnt to off. Cleans the fuel injectors, etc. there is definitely some truth to the Italian tune up.

But yes I believe we have some sort of check valve in the pcv hose that acts as an oil catch can of sorts.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
It also is heavily dependant on how you drive, and the type of oil used. Newer oils are made to handle direct injection better, as something like 60% of all new cars sold today are turbo and direct injection. And probably another 20% are direct injection NA. So with 80+ % of all new cars being DI in some form (either turbo or NA) companies needed to innovate and make oils that could better deal with fuel dilution, and carbon build up. Especially since the gas companies can put as much cleaning solvents they want in the fuel, but it won’t matter since the fuel never touches the valves. So all the heavy lifting is on the oil now, they have made good strides with both of these. But it will never be perfect. Good oil can only do so much.

The other part being driving habits. If all you do are quick trips that never let the motor fully heat up, you will have a lot more carbon build up. As the motor never gets hot enough to get the oil to operating temp for long periods of time, which helps to burn off the carbon and the fuel build up in the oil.

i know plenty of mechanics that suggest that anyone who takes a lot of short trips should go on a long ish drive at least once a month or so, to really get the build up burnt to off. Cleans the fuel injectors, etc. there is definitely some truth to the Italian tune up.

But yes I believe we have some sort of check valve in the pcv hose that acts as an oil catch can of sorts.
Ford has also tried to mitigate or eliminate this issue with injection timing calibration meant to do so, which does things like spraying the injectors slightly before the valves close. I have also seen a statement from a Ford engineer stating that as the technology of injection components has matured, that has helped the problem.
I believe this is why carbon buildup on the intake valves will be less of a problem in our engines as compared to earlier BMW and VAG ones, as said by @the duke in Post #4 above.
Concerning the Italian tune up, there's more to it than just getting the car up to operating temperature on a regular basis for a decent amount of time. Running the car hard occasionally, getting at or close to redline, also helps. It has the side benefit of being fun.

There's a very long thread on this topic if anyone wants to dive into it. I did a lot of research on the issue before I bought the car because it was my first DI Turbo, and concluded that with proper driving habits and high quality full synthetic oil, combined with the software calibration I mentioned above, it probably wouldn't be something to worry about.
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/ecoboost-intake-valve-carbon-build-up.4037/

Last edited: