Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Best Affordable Roadsters Battle the Best Hot Hatches

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
How do you like your cheap speed? Rear-wheel-drive and two seats, or front-wheel-drive and a big hatch?

Sep 14, 2016 - R&T

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...dable-performance-cars-hot-hatches-roadsters/

".... the ST200 is nearly as fun as the Mazda when really getting into it, but also does a lot more for the owner day-to-day. That makes it the winner in its latest showdown, further proving the Ford Fiesta ST is one of the greatest affordable fun cars around..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb1liwQiGj8

[video=youtube;Xb1liwQiGj8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb1liwQiGj8[/video]

they bring up some interesting points. The fiesta is clearly the everyday car, but it's fun value is pegged because of that. The Miata is the sporty little coupe, but the amount of times you can use it properly for "a bit of a giggle" is less.

If you could only have one car for living life, fiesta.

If you could have two, grab the Miata.

I owned a miata before buying the FiST. The only reason I traded the miata in is the FiST was so much more comfortable and easy to live with on a daily basis. If I had a driveway with a garage (currently live in an apartment), I'd own both. Both are amazing, but in different ways.

I came from a 10ae Miata that I had for 7 years. I loved and drove the hell out of that car. A family drove me to the Fiesta. It's the closest Miata like car handling wise I could find that fit my budget and needs. Seems like that are several here that came from a Miata. They are great! This just fits better now.

My wife has the ST and I have a '10 MX5 and a Spark EV. I can't agree that the ST is or was more fun than the MX5. When stock, the ST's harsh ride made it a punishment to drive. It was a handling superchamp and was epic on a smooth twisty piece of road, but it's no fun being beat up at all other times and it still wasn't quite as fun on a twisty as the MX5. Maybe equally capable on a twisty, but not as fun. We've since replaced the struts/shocks on the ST with the EU versions and now it's much less uncomfortable as a daily driver, but handling has taken a step or two back which is OK with us. I'm also afraid to beat on it given the reports of cooling issues and the fact that I haven't yet upgraded the intercooler. My MX5 is modded and was more fun in stock and modded form than the ST. Sure, the ST has a AP and is certainly faster than the MX5, the MX5's throttle response is much better and it revs to 7500RPM with an exhaust note I can only describe as "ripping" above 5000RPM. I intended to use the Spark EV as my commuter but when the weather is good I drive the MX5 and I find myself more and more not needing a break from the smaller MX5 even though I'm 6-feet 210lbs. It fits me just right. The ST does NOT fit me. The doors are far too short to comfortably rest an arm on top (and the b-pillar impacts vision), the base seat bottom cushions are too short and the rearview mirror has such a short arm that I can't bring it down far enough to see out the back of the car properly.

None of the above were deal breakers. As a daily driver I think I'd make due with the MX5 since I need to be able to put the top down...TO LIVE! I've done stints where a roadster was my only car and while it was inconvenient at times I made it work. And I don't think I'll replace the Spark after the lease is up. If I didn't need a convertible, again, TO LIVE...I'd take the Fiesta.

My wife has the ST and I have a '10 MX5 and a Spark EV. I can't agree that the ST is or was more fun than the MX5. When stock, the ST's harsh ride made it a punishment to drive. It was a handling superchamp and was epic on a smooth twisty piece of road, but it's no fun being beat up at all other times and it still wasn't quite as fun on a twisty as the MX5. Maybe equally capable on a twisty, but not as fun. We've since replaced the struts/shocks on the ST with the EU versions and now it's much less uncomfortable as a daily driver, but handling has taken a step or two back which is OK with us. I'm also afraid to beat on it given the reports of cooling issues and the fact that I haven't yet upgraded the intercooler. My MX5 is modded and was more fun in stock and modded form than the ST. Sure, the ST has a AP and is certainly faster than the MX5, the MX5's throttle response is much better and it revs to 7500RPM with an exhaust note I can only describe as "ripping" above 5000RPM. I intended to use the Spark EV as my commuter but when the weather is good I drive the MX5 and I find myself more and more not needing a break from the smaller MX5 even though I'm 6-feet 210lbs. It fits me just right. The ST does NOT fit me. The doors are far too short to comfortably rest an arm on top (and the b-pillar impacts vision), the base seat bottom cushions are too short and the rearview mirror has such a short arm that I can't bring it down far enough to see out the back of the car properly.

None of the above were deal breakers. As a daily driver I think I'd make due with the MX5 since I need to be able to put the top down...TO LIVE! I've done stints where a roadster was my only car and while it was inconvenient at times I made it work. And I don't think I'll replace the Spark after the lease is up. If I didn't need a convertible, again, TO LIVE...I'd take the Fiesta.
I'm 6'2" and 250lbs and the Feista fits me just fine.