Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Best bang for buck upgrades under $500?

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
I am wanting to do some upgrades to my FiST but nothing serious. I would like to get some mild gains without changing any moving parts.

My thoughts:

- Upgraded FMIC and charge pipe
- Catback exhaust
- V3 Cobb Accessport

Any other suggestions that can help me get gains without seriously denting the wallet? What are the best bang for the buck mods for some decent gains?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
AP absolutely first.

Not going to be much left of the budget since you should get a pro tune as well, going to be over budget a bit by then...

Next a bigger IC when you have more you can invest.

Accessport for sure. I'm sure if you reach out to any of the vendors they can offer you a coupon code or something to bring it under $500 with a special tune to go with it.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Accessport. Then FMIC. Then protune it on ethanol if you can. You're finished.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
I would suggest not commenting where you simply aren't qualified.
I don't want to fight about it. At the end of the day, Cobb acessport trumps turbo transformer. For a couple hundred more you are getting much more and the ability to adjust the tune as you go.

I don't want to fight about it. At the end of the day, Cobb acessport trumps turbo transformer. For a couple hundred more you are getting much more and the ability to adjust the tune as you go.
I do not want to fight about it as well. However, when you say smart people should stay away from buying the TT, that is obviously unfounded and misguided. The access port does not "trump" the TT. The Turbo Transformer is completely reversible, is non-detectable when removed, is a solid technology, and provides real power gains. Piggy-backs like the TT have been used in the BMW space for almost 10 years with zero issues. The TT is also bluetooth adjustable on the fly.

If the only goal is power (and custom tuning) with a possibility that the warranty can be voided, then an Accessport is a great idea. I wholly support that product. At the same time, those of us looking for power gains on a mostly stock car and do not care to worry about warranty, the TT is an amazing deal.

Look, facts are facts. If you feel that your comment makes sense, that's your opinion. It's unfounded, but just like the rest of us, you are entitled to it.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I do not want to fight about it as well. However, when you say smart people should stay away from buying the TT, that is obviously unfounded and misguided. The access port does not "trump" the TT. The Turbo Transformer is completely reversible, is non-detectable when removed, is a solid technology, and provides real power gains. Piggy-backs like the TT have been used in the BMW space for almost 10 years with zero issues. The TT is also bluetooth adjustable on the fly.

If the only goal is power (and custom tuning) with a possibility that the warranty can be voided, then an Accessport is a great idea. I wholly support that product. At the same time, those of us looking for power gains on a mostly stock car and do not care to worry about warranty, the TT is an amazing deal.

Look, facts are facts. If you feel that your comment makes sense, that's your opinion. It's unfounded, but just like the rest of us, you are entitled to it.
I would not suggest a TT to anyone either.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I also vote for the Cobb AP3. I think it's the most logical first step for anyone who wants to make it more fun to drive thats noticeable. ...like right away.[twothumb]

I would not suggest a TT to anyone either.
Absolutely. As stated earlier, anyone "smart" will forgo the TT and go with a fully integrated flash tune to account for the additional boost. Unfortunately the TT is an old-fashioned "interceptor" device that simply plugs into the existing sensor wiring to "fake" the sensor input to the ECU. Quite simple and reliable as a device and the result may even be "felt" as when you decrease the manifold pressure sensed by the ECU, it will increase the WGDC to open close the wastegate to achieve the ECU OEM targeted value. The "fallacy" with this concept is that the ECU is still in control. Well, technically it responds as designed to the pressure it senses, but the sensed pressure isn't the actual pressure, so you're literally on your own with the result. If the device is set far enough to actually increase the performance of the engine, then the spark timing is significantly in error for the actual manifold pressure vs rpm vs load. Anyone who is actually "smart" about such things would never even consider the TT device. I have more than a little experience with interceptor tuners and while they are effective, you must also intercept the crankshaft position, the throttle position (on speed density systems), along with the manifold pressure. Those people who are not "smart" enough to understand the interceptor concept as it applies to engine tuning are essentially ignorant which as we all know is bliss. The assertion that lots of people have success with the TT is akin to the analogy of the herd of sheep following the rest of the pack over the cliff. Learn WTF you're doing with your engine tuning, even the basics, and you will realize the truth which will set you free from the snake-oil pundits. Knowledge is power.

Absolutely. As stated earlier, anyone "smart" will forgo the TT and go with a fully integrated flash tune to account for the additional boost. Unfortunately the TT is an old-fashioned "interceptor" device that simply plugs into the existing sensor wiring to "fake" the sensor input to the ECU. Quite simple and reliable as a device and the result may even be "felt" as when you decrease the manifold pressure sensed by the ECU, it will increase the WGDC to open close the wastegate to achieve the ECU OEM targeted value. The "fallacy" with this concept is that the ECU is still in control. Well, technically it responds as designed to the pressure it senses, but the sensed pressure isn't the actual pressure, so you're literally on your own with the result. If the device is set far enough to actually increase the performance of the engine, then the spark timing is significantly in error for the actual manifold pressure vs rpm vs load. Anyone who is actually "smart" about such things would never even consider the TT device. I have more than a little experience with interceptor tuners and while they are effective, you must also intercept the crankshaft position, the throttle position (on speed density systems), along with the manifold pressure. Those people who are not "smart" enough to understand the interceptor concept as it applies to engine tuning are essentially ignorant which as we all know is bliss. The assertion that lots of people have success with the TT is akin to the analogy of the herd of sheep following the rest of the pack over the cliff. Learn WTF you're doing with your engine tuning, even the basics, and you will realize the truth which will set you free from the snake-oil pundits. Knowledge is power.
Good information is sometimes hard to get across. Especially when there is so much noise in the space. However, if you haven't already, here is a Stratified Tuning employee's findings on the Turbo Transformer. http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-performance/28685-have-you-heard-turbo-transformer-tuning-device-5.html

I don't work for TT so you can continue from here if you like without my responses. I have personally had great results with this product as have MANY others. Ameya (creator of the TT) has fantastic customer service and his products work as they are described. For that, he has my respect and support.

Happy tuning:)

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Good information is sometimes hard to get across. Especially when there is so much noise in the space. However, if you haven't already, here is a Stratified Tuning employee's findings on the Turbo Transformer. http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-performance/28685-have-you-heard-turbo-transformer-tuning-device-5.html

I don't work for TT so you can continue from here if you like without my responses. I have personally had great results with this product as have MANY others. Ameya (creator of the TT) has fantastic customer service and his products work as they are described. For that, he has my respect and support.

Happy tuning:)
I've already read it and it's exactly WHY I won't suggest one. Yeah, it works, but it's also inherently dangerous. The last thing any FWD car needs is MORE torque with a dead top end.

Its a gap item, made to fill a small niche in an already niche market. For some cars that don't have the support we do it's great. For people who can honestly say they don't want anymore power, but would like to attempt pulling a small tree stump it's great too.

It seems to be a well-made, thought out product, but so are exercise videos. You speak of "noise" but that's exactly what the TT is.

Simple and plain, it works, but there are no shortcuts toward anything worthwhile.

Cost for power gained is a nearly a loss with the TT. $200 for almost nothing but a higher peak? You're not extending your powerband and increasing your horsepower. You're forcing the turbo to work harder and still face planting the car later on. But you can kill tires and create heat REALLY efficiently. At that point you're losing money on a TT.

I'll let all of you in on a little secret... A low horsepower, torque-happy car only FEELS fast. If that's good enough for you, the so be it. But if you want to spend your money on actual gains, look elsewhere.