Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Which turbo gives best bang for the buck?

I just got a low mileage 2015 FiST and I want to go to a bigger better turbo, better intercooler and a tune. The two turbo's that I'm interested in are the PumaSpeed X-47 Hybrid and the Whoosh Hybrid. Am I on the right track? Lots of info on the Puma, not so much on the Whoosh. I'd appreciate comments and observations based on experience with the products.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Whooshs customer service by Ron is second to none within the FiST world. He stands behind his products and is easy to reach. I hope none of this ever changes with him....go for the Trac spec hybrid....you can't lose if you want a hybrid....plus hes in Murica....support a local vendor....not some cockwomble across the pond....IMO.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
ywgbandit
Thread Starter #3
One of the things that impressed me on the PumaSpeed X-47 Hybrid was the published spec of max boost at 2200 engine rpm. I can't even find out what the turbine wheel and compressor wheel diameters are on the Whoosh. I was hoping someone that's running one would chime in. You are right though, much nicer dealing with someone on this side of the Pond I have talked to Ron and he seems like a straight shooter.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just think....if you have any hiccups or failures. It's not a complete shit show to get it fixed and it won't gave to go across the pond for repair. ...and the car won't be down for weeks.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Best band for the buck would be Peter Bradley Adams, if you want a real wood fire instead of some cheap imitation spark show, go for that for sure.

Iron Maiden is an amazing band for sure, people don't realize how good musicians those guys are.

In terms of turbos, I'd recommend the Whoosh as well. The X47 was Puma's best product IMHO, it gave super low spool but awesome high end and had great reliability. Unfortunately they axed it when the X47R came out, and the R gave a bit more top end but was laggy to spool in comparison and has the world in an uproar over some failures. And some respected tuners are recommending the Whoosh turbo as the best bang for the buck out there right now so that means something. Plus Ron is a super great guy and that service counts for something.

I love my X47 but if I ever needed a replacement I'd be looking for something with stock-like spool and the Whoosh would be high on my list. Well that or a Veloster N.....

Good luck!!!

Dealing with Puma was a freckling nightmare, I had so many delays with them and they were very hard to contact and were verrrrryyy slow to return my calls. It took more than 3 months to get part of my order and then another 2 weeks to get the rest of it from them. Not to mention the bad rep that I see from people that live in Europe that still post about having problems with the shop when they go it. Puma is not a company I will ever deal with again and I recommend you don’t either.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
You're gonna want to use aux. fuel with any of the Garrett options as they offer more on top at the cost of a slower spool. If you're willing to cross that $1200 hurtle, the GTX2860R Gen 2 offers newer and more efficient internals and geometry than the older turbos, including the GT2554R and the MRX on which it's based. Then there's the whole question of using a v-flange adaptor vs. spending another $800 to get a tubular v-flange manifold. There's also talk of needing a new downpipe and, maybe, exhaust to let the Garrett solutions breath. I'd wager that the GTX2860R Gen 2 does almost everything down low that the smaller and older turbos do and offers way more up high so, if you're willing to spend the money for the turbo and the supporting mods., I think that the GTX2860R Gen 2 is the best big turbo by a big margin.

But, since we're talking bang for the buck, aux. fuel is off the table so it's gotta be a hybrid. If I were buying new I'd go with Whoosh; Ron's customer service is next to none and he's got a customer beating the snot out of his hybrid and breaking records. If used is an option then an X-37/47. Cyborgs with the right seals installed are supposed to be a good option but I can't shake the bad taste left by the Cyborg/DHM collapse and the resulting complete lack of support. The S280 *might* offer hybrid-ish spool without the reliability problems of the X-47R, *might* flow well up high, is designed to use the stock flange, is designed by a well-respected vendor, and is priced well, but there's not enough info. in the wild for me to pull the trigger.

I had settled on waiting for more information re. the S280 and, then decide between it and the GTX2860R Gen 2 but, then, a X-47R for a great price came up. I'm going to tune all the way through Ron's Extrude Hone-ed exhaust manifold and aux. fuel with the X-47R (fingers crossed that it'll stay together) and then take a look at the S280 vs. GTX question, again. I'm building my FiST for autocross *and* time-attack so I'm thinking that the S280 is going to offer the best combination of throttle response and higher-rev. performance.

This guy just took a dump on the MRX. Don’t believe a word of it. Mountune put their own anti surge housing and billet compressor wheel in it. This basically makes it a GTX 2554r. The S280 is dogshit btw 🤩

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
This guy just took a dump on the MRX. Don’t believe a word of it. Mountune put their own anti surge housing and billet compressor wheel in it.
No I didn't. I said that the MRX was based on an older and smaller turbo than the GTX2860R Gen 2 (it is), that the GTX will flow more (it will) and that I'd wager that it will spool almost as fast as the older MRX (it might). There are lots of people on this forum who are very happy with their GTX2860R Gen 2. I'm sure that the MRX is a good turbo, but it's priced at $1900 ($100 sale) and the ATP GTX2860R Gen 2 kit is priced at $2050 (everyday price) from Ron. As far as Garrett big turbos go, the GTX is the better buy.

The S280 is dogshit btw 🤩
As for as I know there's only one in the wild and the guy working with it is very happy thus far, as he's seen a lot of different turbos. Do you have insider information or is this more of your "alternate facts?"

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I know that silly...I was surprised that you'd want an GTX series Turbo that's all Jefferylyon!

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I know that silly...I was surprised that you'd want an GTX series Turbo that's all Jefferylyon!
Why wouldn't I, it's an awesome setup for the FiST. I'm into my car for the long haul and I'm sure that after my X-47R has run out of fast I'll be ready to upgrade to something bigger.

No I didn't. I said that the MRX was based on an older and smaller turbo than the GTX2860R Gen 2 (it is), that the GTX will flow more (it will) and that I'd wager that it will spool almost as fast as the older MRX (it might). There are lots of people on this forum who are very happy with their GTX2860R Gen 2. I'm sure that the MRX is a good turbo, but it's priced at $1900 ($100 sale) and the ATP GTX2860R Gen 2 kit is priced at $2050 (everyday price) from Ron. As far as Garrett big turbos go, the GTX is the better buy.

As for as I know there's only one in the wild and the guy working with it is very happy thus far, as he's seen a lot of different turbos. Do you have insider information or is this more of your "alternate facts?"

There’s at least three, He hasn’t seen data for any of them, he’s talking out of his ass.