Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Best Fitting IC

So I am going to get an intercooler and I have been doing some research on these forums and watching youtube install vids. It seems as though "most" IC's aren't a direct fit without some amount of modification. I was going to either get a Whoosh or a Mountune but it seems as if both of these are "hit or miss" when it comes to installation. Some people have reported no problems, others have said a small amount of cutting/grinding is needed.

I would prefer not having to cut/alter my car if possible and I don't mind paying a premium for an IC if it fits "perfect." Any suggestions/advice?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Bravoalpha....just end it all now. Very tight fit and connected to crash sensor bar. Gives you room to grow ask me how I know.....also if you decide to get a bigger Turbo down the road it will accommodate it as well. It will be the last Intercooler you will ever buy.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Spork1569

Only change needed for my CPE and most other aftermarket IC is removing a small bracket that is not really needed below the stock IC. Other than that fit was perfectly snug.

If you purchase the Mountune IC from the UK you will get a PRO Alloy IC that will fit perfectly with no modification need to install. If you buy the Mountune USA IC you will have to adjust and fiddle with the bracket that helps hold the lower air damn up. Not a big deal as the brackets unclip and slide up. The Mountune UK (PRO Alloy) IC is noticeably lighter then the USA counter part.

I know all this because I had both. I’m running the Mountune UK (PRO Alloy) IC now.
If you want local support, I would recommend Whoosh. Otherwise I’m happy with the PRO Alloy. It’s sufficient with the stock turbo and it’s light.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
If you purchase the Mountune IC from the UK you will get a PRO Alloy IC that will fit perfectly with no modification need to install. If you buy the Mountune USA IC you will have to adjust and fiddle with the bracket that helps hold the lower air damn up. Not a big deal as the brackets unclip and slide up. The Mountune UK (PRO Alloy) IC is noticeably lighter then the USA counter part.

I know all this because I had both. I’m running the Mountune UK (PRO Alloy) IC now.
If you want local support, I would recommend Whoosh. Otherwise I’m happy with the PRO Alloy. It’s sufficient with the stock turbo and it’s light.
I had zero fitment issues with the US Mountune IC on my '17

Whoosh V1 intercooler here. It was a tight fit and I thought I was going to have to remove the middle bracket but all you have to do is pull it down a bit and it will go exactly under the intercooler.

OP
KWeaver
Thread Starter #10
Thanks for all the responses. Also got a PM from Ron (thanks as well). I'll probably pull the trigger on the V3.

I have a Woosh V3. Fit is good, uses up every bit of free space. The bolt on brackets have enough slop that you can get it set up exactly right. I measured the center to center distance of the mounting pins on the OEM unit and matched it when setting up the brackets on the Woosh. I too had to remove the plastic center "skirt" bracket. Could have gone without it but I bent one up out of some 1/8" thick stainless that cleared everything and allowed me to keep the center bolt for the "skirt" under the bumper.

Dpro

6000 Post Club

Ah excuse me are you talking about the old Mountune U.S. one that was tube and fin or the current that is bar and Plate. I have the current one and there was no issue with fitment at all it bolted right in like a stock intercooler but its larger.
I got in a package so the price was right but there are other options out there if one is just buying an intercooler.

Ah excuse me are you talking about the old Mountune U.S. one that was tube and fin or the current that is bar and Plate. I have the current one and there was no issue with fitment at all it bolted right in like a stock intercooler but its larger.
I got in a package so the price was right but there are other options out there if one is just buying an intercooler.
The Mountune UK IC (PRO Alloy) is a tube and fin design, and the Mountune USA is a bar and plate. I first purchased the Mountune USA IC and realized it was a bar and plate even though the website says tube and fin (thanks for backing me up). I had difficulty installing the USA IC, but was eventually able to fit it (just my experience). It’s not a difficult install and does not take a large amount of mechanical ability. It just did not fit and seemed like the core was a inch or so to wide.

I purchased the Mountune UK IC (PRO Alloy) after the fact in hopes it was different and as advertised. It is in fact a tube and fin design. The reasoning, I was concerned about air passing through the IC to the radiator. This is why I choose the tube and fin design.

1570448647640.png

Mikey456

What kind of weight difference are you talking about? Is it pricey ordering from Mountune UK?

What kind of weight difference are you talking about? Is it pricey ordering from Mountune UK?
Don’t know the exact numbers, but the difference between tube-n-fin and bar-n-plate felt like pounds on my arm scale [strongman]. Maybe someone could weigh in [thankyou]with exact numbers.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Bravoalpha....just end it all now. Very tight fit and connected to crash sensor bar. Gives you room to grow ask me how I know.....also if you decide to get a bigger Turbo down the road it will accommodate it as well. It will be the last Intercooler you will ever buy.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

^ This

If you have plans to ever get a bigger turbo.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Question on the alpha intercooler.
Do the OEM hoses slip over the silicone coupler, or does the coupler slip over the hoses?
I will be doing a intercooler install in the spring. I just want to know how the silicone couplers connect to the hoses.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Mikey456

Don’t know the exact numbers, but the difference between tube-n-fin and bar-n-plate felt like pounds on my arm scale [strongman]. Maybe someone could weigh in [thankyou]with exact numbers.
Thanks. I found it at Mountune UK for around $500 converted plus shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Question on the alpha intercooler.
Do the OEM hoses slip over the silicone coupler, or does the coupler slip over the hoses?
I will be doing a intercooler install in the spring. I just want to know how the silicone couplers connect to the hoses.

each side : Bravo FMIC to 90 degree coupler to aluminum joiner which slides into the OEM (or any) charge pipe

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
each side : Bravo FMIC to 90 degree coupler to aluminum joiner which slides into the OEM (or any) charge pipe
Thank you I did not know about the aluminum joiner. I will be purchasing one in the spring this answers my question.