Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Best Measurement to Determine Performance Gains

Just curious what the membership feels is the best way to determine performance gains after a particular mod. It seems the gold standard is 0 to 60 times.

My belief is that a 50 mph to 80 mph (or higher) roll on is probably a better indicator of performance gains.

There are so many variables to lay down a steller 0 to 60 and conditions change so much day to day. Road surface, tire temp, temperature. Also, how hard do you really want to launch your car? To get the best 0 to 60, you really need to get borderline abusive to the car to get the best time.

My thought is a roll on will likely give you a better idea of what your modification has added.

What do the rest of you think?

CanadianST

I'd say a slightly lower speed would be more beneficial as at that high of a speed you're really not getting all of the torque this car is producing. Maybe a 30 - 80 or something similar.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I datalog 20-80 in third. Use the same stretch of road (preferably flat and relatively smooth pavement) and test both directions.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I take it directly from my Butt and don't care about any other factors.
Any other info is useless.
If it doesn't feel good or fun to your butt it is no good at all.

Dave

Sekred

1000 Post Club
I take it directly from my Butt and don't care about any other factors.
Any other info is useless.
If it doesn't feel good or fun to your butt it is no good at all.

Dave
Yeah and the data logger in the passenger seat, the missus.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Yeah and the data logger in the passenger seat, the missus.
That one is a volume measurement as to how loud she screams, "Slow the F*** Down".

Dave

Siestarider

I believe the easiest and most reliable metric for comparison among members is a datalogged WOT 3rd gear pull from 2000 to 6500 RPM, or to whatever lesser top speed you are comfortable with.

Post with default parameters on datazap, and we can all obtain insight into what works best.

I have some up now with intake/exhaust mods and Cobb S1 tune w/ stock IC, which with members' input shows the stock IC was clearly the limiting factor in performance.

I will post some with the Cobb IC I just mounted, soon as I can get to my testing area. Not likely to get 95F ambient conditions again this year, but I hear research calling me anyway. Just having fun.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Thanks,
But in regard to lap times, there are too many variables.
However in all scenarios the butt never lies.

Dave

razorlab

1000 Post Club
However in all scenarios the butt never lies.
From years of tuning customers cars, I can 100% disagree with this. If it was true, the quotes I heard after the test drives like "OMG, this feels like 150hp more" and "wow it feels twice as fast" would also be true.

but, I get what you are saying. ;)