Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Best Performance Street Coilovers

Does anyone have an firsthand experience with the KW's, specifically the V1's? As long as the settings are a good blend of street and performance, I don't need adjustability.

Are they serviceable when the time would come? Things like that

Does anyone have an firsthand experience with the KW's, specifically the V1's? As long as the settings are a good blend of street and performance, I don't need adjustability.

Are they serviceable when the time would come? Things like that
I have ST XTA, which, from what I understand, are the same as KW V1 but use galvanized steel instead of stainless. They are some of the best riding coilovers I've ever been in. I'm not sure how servicing these would work but I feel like that goes for any coilovers really.

Let's just say, if I ever need new coilovers for the FiST, 1000% I'd go KW.

I have ST XTA, which, from what I understand, are the same as KW V1 but use galvanized steel instead of stainless. They are some of the best riding coilovers I've ever been in. I'm not sure how servicing these would work but I feel like that goes for any coilovers really.

Let's just say, if I ever need new coilovers for the FiST, 1000% I'd go KW.
Excellent, thank you, love it.

Excellent, thank you, love it.
No problem at all!

My buddy who also has tons of coilover experience rode in my car the first time this past Saturday and also agrees with what I'm saying. I think between us both, we've had coilovers from Bilstein, Fortune Auto, Broadway Static, and Openroad Tuning. These brands we had on cars such as Focus ST, ND Miata, Mazdaspeed 3, and MK7 GTI. 100% happy with my ST XTA.

A close second to me would probably be my Bilstein B14 from my Focus ST, except a rear shock blew out in like 10k somehow..

Best of luck with whichever direction you go!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The KW V3s, or the Bilstein B14s would be on my car already IF they offered any of them with fully linear rate springs, and functional adjustability up to at least the factory ride height. [wink]

The KW V3s, or the Bilstein B14s would be on my car already IF they offered any of them with fully linear rate springs, and functional adjustability up to at least the factory ride height. [wink]
Yeah I gotcha. I'd say based on my desires, as long as the KW's provide good performance (which by accounts they do) they will suit my needs perfectly.

Im currently on Swift springs and I love the ride height, but Im really noticing the shortcomings of the stock shocks. I figure the Bilstein shocks would be good, but too many people say they will raise my car back up which I do not want. So then, next choice is the Koni Yellows, but they are fairly pricey for shocks.

I found a pretty good local deal on the KW V1's, so that's why leaning that way.

kevinatfms

I think you might be able to do it on the B14's. 7" long springs front and 8" long springs in the rear would be damn near close if not right on the nose with the right spring rate.

2.5" coilover springs come in various lengths. It would really just be the shaft travel of the B14 to be in question. The rear is easily obtained with longer springs.

Measure the fender to floor distance and send to me. I can do some tinkering to see if i could get it back to factory height with my 7" long springs front/rear.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Are the B14 fronts 2.5" coil over springs right from Bilstein, or are they 5" to 5.5" regular strut type springs?

I know that I might be getting a bit too exacting/precise/OCD with this, but, Bilstein's 'techs' told me that since the B14s are specifically valved for progressive rate springs of a given rate range, they should NOT be used with linear rate springs, even ones close to their factory rates. [dunno]

Appreciate all the info in this thread as I'm trying to find coilovers that don't kill me dailying, but are good on the track. Does anyone have a list of coilovers that maintain near, or factory ride height?

kevinatfms

^^^Are the B14 fronts 2.5" coil over springs right from Bilstein, or are they 5" to 5.5" regular strut type springs?

I know that I might be getting a bit too exacting/precise/OCD with this, but, Bilstein's 'techs' told me that since the B14s are specifically valved for progressive rate springs of a given rate range, they should NOT be used with linear rate springs, even ones close to their factory rates. [dunno]
I dont think the valving can be sorted to exacting progressive/linear rates. I believe that you have a large curve in which the damper can control the motion of certain spring rates within the respective compression and rebound curves set through the valving. The inserts used look to be an off the shelf motorsport grade insert which Bilstein has an entire catalog of examples. They list compression/rebound rates for each of the valving profiles they provide in the 36mm and 46mm damper cartridge. See example below of the valving options and lengths available(note zero information about spring rate).

https://streetwiseparts.com/pages/bilstein-46mm-universal-motorsports-struts

Im trying to research the valving and curves now using Bilstein's motorsport insert part numbers to determine the low end and high end spring rates the B14 dampers can handle. They are quite good with providing zero information about what is used in each kit. The rear B14 damper is the same size, shape and length as the B8 damper but the part number shown on the side is not available by itself.

On another note, the 6-8 times i called Bilstein to ask about the B6/B8/B14 dampers they told me multiple times the dampers were twin tube in the B6/B8 line for the Fiesta....and we just found out recently when someone cut into one that they are in fact small bore monotube dampers. So i dont know what to believe from the Bilstein tech line at this point other than they are actually located in the United States.