Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Best tires that come in the stock size?

I'd like to run the RE71s but I have wheels that are the same size as stock and I don't really want to spend more money or have the space for another set of wheels (this would be my 4th set). I was looking at the R888Rs, and NT-01s. Open to other suggestions. I'd like to keep wet performance in mind as I do daily drive the car, but it's a short commute. Hopefully by the time I buy the tires I'll have a new daily driver anyways

thanks,

Mikey456

That topic has come up before in “best replacement tire” Il like the Falken tires but i don’t typically drive in the rain. If I were driving in the wet I would check out the Continental tires for the right size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevinatfms

If you have any rain stick with a UHP summer tire or if you have snow start budgeting for an extra set of wheels.

UHP summer - Indy 500s are the favorite these days. Its the old euro-only Bridgestone RE003 that was rebadged to the Firestone brand. Its a 340 treadwear tire but it was at one point a top tier performance tire. So it has the carcass design and compound to take some abuse.

I have limited experience but have a set of the Firestone Indy 500's. Admittedly, I only ran them a few hundred miles and a track day before putting the all seasons back on and eventually the studded snow tires. I thought the Indy 500's performed well and they held up great to the torture sessions on the track. I can't imagine there are many other options out there for the money...but maybe you want something more focused on all season performance.

OP
The_Ryan
Thread Starter #6
If you have any rain stick with a UHP summer tire or if you have snow start budgeting for an extra set of wheels.

UHP summer - Indy 500s are the favorite these days. Its the old euro-only Bridgestone RE003 that was rebadged to the Firestone brand. Its a 340 treadwear tire but it was at one point a top tier performance tire. So it has the carcass design and compound to take some abuse.
I have a set of winters already. And after a season of auto-x, I on't see how the Indy 500s are a favorite in auto X. No one in any of the local clubs run them and I can see why. They rolled down to the lettering no matter what pressures I was running, and broke loose far sooner than the Fiesta I was in with RE-71s. they're great for street driving, but that's about it really. Maybe I'll just have to get a 4th set of wheels

I will be tempted to try the new Yokohama ADVAN Fleva. Tire rack has them in 215/40-17 but Yokohama site lists 205/40-17 as a size.
The look promising and see to be priced well.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I will be tempted to try the new Yokohama ADVAN Fleva. Tire rack has them in 215/40-17 but Yokohama site lists 205/40-17 as a size.
The look promising and see to be priced well.
But are they really leaps and bounds greater than the s.Drives they replaced, as far as ultimate grip, and turn-in response goes? [dunno]

kevinatfms

I have a set of winters already. And after a season of auto-x, I on't see how the Indy 500s are a favorite in auto X. No one in any of the local clubs run them and I can see why. They rolled down to the lettering no matter what pressures I was running, and broke loose far sooner than the Fiesta I was in with RE-71s. they're great for street driving, but that's about it really. Maybe I'll just have to get a 4th set of wheels
1. You gave a criteria for wet performance. The RE71R is absolutely abysmal in the wet.

2. If you’re rolling over you’re not high enough pressure wise. I run 39F and 36-42 rear and have never had a problem with rollover between 3 different types of 205/40R17 tires in autocross. OE Bridgestones, Riken Raptor ZRs and Azenis(which I currently still have).

3. The RE71R does not come in the stock 205/40r17 size.

4. If you want an autocross tire then get an autocross tire like the Advan A052. If you want a daily driven performance tire the Firestone is perfect. It’s a performance summer tire that has excellent wet performance and enough grip to be used in autocross. It won’t set FTD but that isn’t what it excels in.

So again, for autocross the Advan A052 is top dog. For a daily driven, rain capable and higher wearing performance tire the Firestone is about the best you’re going to get right now in the OE 205/40R17 size.

OP
The_Ryan
Thread Starter #10
1. You gave a criteria for wet performance. The RE71R is absolutely abysmal in the wet.

2. If you’re rolling over you’re not high enough pressure wise. I run 39F and 36-42 rear and have never had a problem with rollover between 3 different types of 205/40R17 tires in autocross. OE Bridgestones, Riken Raptor ZRs and Azenis(which I currently still have).

3. The RE71R does not come in the stock 205/40r17 size.

4. If you want an autocross tire then get an autocross tire like the Advan A052. If you want a daily driven performance tire the Firestone is perfect. It’s a performance summer tire that has excellent wet performance and enough grip to be used in autocross. It won’t set FTD but that isn’t what it excels in.

So again, for autocross the Advan A052 is top dog. For a daily driven, rain capable and higher wearing performance tire the Firestone is about the best you’re going to get right now in the OE 205/40R17 size.

1. Though I did say I have a short commute, I probably should have specified that wet performance was more of a secondary preference, IF it exists in a decent auto-x tire. If not then, that's okay, I can live without.
2. I ran up to 45/40 (reluctantly so), still had substantial roll over on the front tires with the Indy500's , rear not so much, so was hoping for something better.
3. I know the RE-71s don't come in stock size, that was the whole premise of my question.
4. This was I was looking to hear, especially from someone with experience.

Thanks for the input and suggestions, very much appreciated. I'll definitely look into the A052.
How have you liked the Azenis? Have you run the AE052 as well?

kevinatfms

1. Though I did say I have a short commute, I probably should have specified that wet performance was more of a secondary preference, IF it exists in a decent auto-x tire. If not then, that's okay, I can live without.
2. I ran up to 45/40 (reluctantly so), still had substantial roll over on the front tires with the Indy500's , rear not so much, so was hoping for something better.
3. I know the RE-71s don't come in stock size, that was the whole premise of my question.
4. This was I was looking to hear, especially from someone with experience.

Thanks for the input and suggestions, very much appreciated. I'll definitely look into the A052.
How have you liked the Azenis? Have you run the AE052 as well?
Azenis were ok. Quiet in our size, they wear well and are relatively sticky for a last gen extreme performance tire.

I have not run the A052 but they won at Nats in a few classes .Guys were complaining of them cording the shoulders though on camber challengers cars at the limit.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
RE50A is about as good as it gets for a streetable tire in stock size. Of course they are quite a bit more money than the indy500

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
RE50A is about as good as it gets for a streetable tire in stock size. Of course they are quite a bit more money than the indy500
I will probably go back to those after the Indy 500s that I have now wear out. The Indy 500s are quite good, especially for the price, but the OEM RE050As give you that last bit of quick turn in and precision that I want to recapture

Mikey456

I like the Oem Bridgestone tires but:
1) I find the Falken tires 205 size comparable for the performance (that I’m looking for) for less money $140
2) I always feel that I’m being jerked around with the price of the OEM tires, when I see the prices vary from $160-220 at Tire Rack

Mikey456

I forgot to mention though. The tire shop had a hard time with mounting the tire. They had to run high pressures to break in the bead. They also chipped my wheel in the process, in which they fixed by repowdercoating the wheel. I think someone else on the forum had the same problem with the same tire. But performance-wise they are great.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I forgot to mention though. The tire shop had a hard time with mounting the tire. They had to run high pressures to break in the bead. They also chipped my wheel in the process, in which they fixed by repowdercoating the wheel. I think someone else on the forum had the same problem with the same tire. But performance-wise they are great.

Depends on the shop and skill their level

The shop I frequent specializes in custom setups. Our wheels and tires are nothing compared to the guys running 205 on 10 inch wide wheels [emoji15]

2017 w/Recaros - bone stock

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I like the Oem Bridgestone tires but:
1) I find the Falken tires 205 size comparable for the performance (that I’m looking for) for less money $140
2) I always feel that I’m being jerked around with the price of the OEM tires, when I see the prices vary from $160-220 at Tire Rack

I've heard great things about the falkens, performance-wise; but also that they wear out way fast (way worse than the oem) and are awful in the wet.
In other words, not street friendly

Mikey456

I've heard great things about the falkens, performance-wise; but also that they wear out way fast (way worse than the oem) and are awful in the wet.
In other words, not street friendly

My Bridgestone OEM tires lasted about 20k miles of daily and occasional canyon driving. Will these Falkens last that long? I don’t know, but I’m hope they do and will will give a update at the 20k mark. It doesn’t rain a lot where I live in Los Angeles so looking at the tire threads I would not recommend this tire as an as rain tire or all-around tire. By the way, Tire rack is selling the OEMs for $189 right now. I’ve seen then as low as $160. I don’t know why the price keeps changing? Probably supply and demand. The Falkens are still at $140 which is what I bought mine for.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
My Bridgestone OEM tires lasted about 20k miles of daily and occasional canyon driving. Will these Falkens last that long? I don’t know, but I’m hope they do and will will give a update at the 20k mark. It doesn’t rain a lot where I live in Los Angeles so looking at the tire threads I would not recommend this tire as an as rain tire or all-around tire. By the way, Tire rack is selling the OEMs for $189 right now. I’ve seen then as low as $160. I don’t know why the price keeps changing? Probably supply and demand. The Falkens are still at $140 which is what I bought mine for.
Thanks! Definitely keep this thread updated on the falkens[emoji106]

Yeah, the OEMs fluctuate like crazy! I'm hoping that when I buy a set, they will be on the lower end of the spectrum. I think I can get another season out of mine.
[emoji1696]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I have not run the A052 but they won at Nats in a few classes .Guys were complaining of them cording the shoulders though on camber challengers cars at the limit.

I would not have thought that they would have leap-frogged the RE71s in NAT level autocross.

That IS impressive, since I was considering them as my next summer street tire. [thumb]