Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Bigger oil filter ( bigger than FL-400S )

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The filter media is different ....synthetic fibers....glass fibers....both are excellent filtration rates in the high 90's and can withstand ext. Drain intervals into the 10k if you really want to do that...a filter is cheap insurance to change out when it's due at 5k.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Did Wix recently upgrade the XPs??

Last I checked (a few years ago), their efficiency rating was a good deal less than the other premium, extended life, long OCI type filters (Fram Ultra, Bosch Distance Plus, Mobil 1, RP, Amsoil EaO, etc.).

The XP was in the low 90s percentage wise, and the others were in the way upper 90s. [dunno]

felopr

don't know how you can fit that large Wix on a fiesta with an upgraded radiator
I have the mountune one and is a really tight fit in removing it because of the shitty location is at

If you have the CP-E cold side kit, this oil filter will be a nightmare haha.

I agree, bigger filter is better. But the stock ones are good. The biggest thing to avoid are filters made with paper (fram for instance).

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
If you have the CP-E cold side kit, this oil filter will be a nightmare haha.

I agree, bigger filter is better. But the stock ones are good. The biggest thing to avoid are filters made with paper (fram for instance).
Ah yes the inevitable toilet paper tube...they are ok....filtration is in the low 90s....some people have a hard on for these....not my car though.

Ah yes the inevitable toilet paper tube...they are ok....filtration is in the low 90s....some people have a hard on for these....not my car though.

My Pop lost a motor to one of those filters (when we disassembled the motor, we found paper everywhere)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The Fram ULTRA is actually a PREMIUM 'top shelf' filter which has an EXCELLENT efficiency rate, at a low micron particle size, and is most definitely NOT a paper element! [nono]

The rest of Fram's (lower) lineup I would agree with both of you about. ;)

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I have always taken claims of oil filters or certain brands of oil causing engine damage with a truckload of salt. Considering even the cheapest Fram so called "paper" (actually cellulose and fiberglass) filters comes with a warranty covering any engine damage. I have never heard of a claim in 45 years of working on and driving cars. All you have to do is submit the defective filter and a bill for the repairs for the Fram warranty. The claim form is available on line and is very simple to fill out. For years I have heard and read these stories always about someone else's engine on the BMW, F-150, LS engine, and Fiesta ST sites failing due to a brand of oil or filters. Not saying the OP is lying by any means, maybe they did not read the box and did not know they had a warranty.

Last edited:
don't know how you can fit that large Wix on a fiesta with an upgraded radiator
I have the mountune one and is a really tight fit in removing it because of the shitty location is at
Works on the Mishimoto radiator, with Mishimoto charge pipes. Still have room for a bigger filter believe it or not. You start having issues with the diameter of the filter, squeezing it around to get it in-and-out of there. Length wise, you still have some room to go. I thought about getting a bigger filter (shocking, I know), but decided against it in case I get a filter sized print in my radiator from getting rear ended or something. The clearance is fine around the filter. The only difficult part is snaking it around the junk, radiator, and charge pipes after you spin the thing off.

How about the larger sized Purolator filter? Lots of miata guys swear by em
Ran one a year or so ago when I couldn't find a local Motorcraft and WIX filter. IIRC, it was the same size as the WIX and large motorcraft one. Still fits with the Mishimoto radiator + Mishi charge pipes.

Actually.. looks like even though purolator makes motorcraft, the QC on their new pure boss filters is subpar. For anyone considering these, think again. Ill be using the m1 209.

For that matter, mann-hummel apparently owns bosch, purolator, and wix. So QC could potentially be shotty with all of those brands. Anyone here actually inspect louvers?

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/purolator-boss-garbage.453970/

felopr

Works on the Mishimoto radiator, with Mishimoto charge pipes. Still have room for a bigger filter believe it or not. You start having issues with the diameter of the filter, squeezing it around to get it in-and-out of there. Length wise, you still have some room to go. I thought about getting a bigger filter (shocking, I know), but decided against it in case I get a filter sized print in my radiator from getting rear ended or something. The clearance is fine around the filter. The only difficult part is snaking it around the junk, radiator, and charge pipes after you spin the thing off.
You have space even with a bigger radiator like mishi compare to a mountune because mishi uses that custom fan setup that doesn't take space over filter area.
If you are using the mountune like I do, you are still using the OEM fan shroud
I use the 400s filter and I think is the biggest you can fit in there. If you use something bigger, is kinda hard to take it out and bend it around those hoses at the bottom of the oil filter location

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
y'all should bust out the tape measure and crawl underneath your FiST before buying one of those ginormous filters. it's already a tight squeeze as it is. idk if you fit another 2 inches in there.

[that's what she said]

anticon

I think I am just going to install the Mobil 1 M1-102 that I got on a combo rebate deal with Mobil-1 5W-20 synthetic. If I get a tune or start running it harder I will reconsider the bigger filter.