Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Bigger TB

The question is, is there a benefit to doing it? Also how hard is it to tune the car for it?

Our cars modulate the throttle blade despite giving 100% throttle on the pedal. Sometimes when the car is getting more boost than desired, it will close the throttle blade slightly.

I'd imagine if there was a benefit and it was a worthwhile upgrade, one of our tuners would of done it already and been selling that as an upgrade + the tuning along with it.

I only seeing upgrading the throttle body an absolute must is if you have a ported cylinder head, ported stock or aftermarket intake manifold, 62mm+ turbo. Then optional having a bigger throttle body for a bigger turbo can have its benefits as it creates a nicer stepped transition instead of a bottleneck transition between bigger intercooler piping ID diameter and intake manifold volume.

Hey mike! Ive done some tinkering with this idea as the stock fiesta throttle body is 52mm. On my personal car it has become a restriction as im seeing a pressure drop across the throttle body when pushing my car to its limits. Ive done alot of research into this and the issue is we can use a adapter plate to run a bigger 57mm (focus st) or 63mm (eb mustang) throttle body with little issue aside from tuning. But we run into another issue witch is the diameter of the intake manifold port itself will soon become the next restriction. So ive attempted to shove a focus st manifold on my car with no luck as the difference in ports make a adapter plate to go from manifold to head almost impossible. So options Ron is working on those new billet intake manifolds.. Those could be machined for a larger port just behind the TB then using a adapter plate and it could possibly be made to work or you could weld a new flange onto the manifold. Ive spoken with ron about this and he mentioned he will have a different billet manifold made for this with a bolt on tb flange that should allow us to run whatever tb we want but it will be a few months out past the release of his stock placement manifold and require some extra work. (hopefully I can get my hands on one of these asap and really push the boundaries) The other option ive looked into is grabbing up a jenvy manifold and having Will over at wor fab do some modifications to fit a larger throttle body basically hack the old flange off and weld something more suited on it for what im trying to do But theres a bit involved in using that manifold so im paintently waiting to see what Ron comes out with before I pull the trigger spend a bunch of money and decide I want something different 😅

OP
Old Mike Emerson

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
Thread Starter #14
Hey mike! Ive done some tinkering with this idea as the stock fiesta throttle body is 52mm. On my personal car it has become a restriction as im seeing a pressure drop across the throttle body when pushing my car to its limits. Ive done alot of research into this and the issue is we can use a adapter plate to run a bigger 57mm (focus st) or 63mm (eb mustang) throttle body with little issue aside from tuning. But we run into another issue witch is the diameter of the intake manifold port itself will soon become the next restriction. So ive attempted to shove a focus st manifold on my car with no luck as the difference in ports make a adapter plate to go from manifold to head almost impossible. So options Ron is working on those new billet intake manifolds.. Those could be machined for a larger port just behind the TB then using a adapter plate and it could possibly be made to work or you could weld a new flange onto the manifold. Ive spoken with ron about this and he mentioned he will have a different billet manifold made for this with a bolt on tb flange that should allow us to run whatever tb we want but it will be a few months out past the release of his stock placement manifold and require some extra work. (hopefully I can get my hands on one of these asap and really push the boundaries) The other option ive looked into is grabbing up a jenvy manifold and having Will over at wor fab do some modifications to fit a larger throttle body basically hack the old flange off and weld something more suited on it for what im trying to do But theres a bit involved in using that manifold so im paintently waiting to see what Ron comes out with before I pull the trigger spend a bunch of money and decide I want something different 😅
I was looking at the Whoosh intake, also Puma claims to be releasing a manifold sometime in February, I have a 2.3 ecoboost TB on the way, I want to compare it to the stock. The other thing I'm looking at is the possibility of having injector bungs welded to the aluminum manifold for aux fueling, but need to get one in hand, which I plan on doing once I get everything in the garage bolted on. LOL