Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Bilstein B14 (PSS) vs Bilstein B14: Anyone know the specific differences?

All I can seem to find is that one is for the regular Fiesta/Mazda 2 and the other is for the Fiesta ST. Are they interchangeable? is there any performance difference?

I tried searching the Bilstein website for B14's and all it came up with were B14 PSS's for the Fiesta S, SE, and ST.

Sorry if someone has answered this already, I couldn't seem to find it on the forum.

OP
DirtyChalupa
Thread Starter #2
I guess the part number 47-167490 fits the S, SE, Titanium
and the part number 47-242043 fits the ST.

I have the 47-167490 on my ST and the big take away is that at the highest setting the car sits about 2" lower than stock. I did not know what I was getting at the time, but this part number is for a regular Fiesta, not the ST. I have it raised all the way up and still hit the splitter on driveways. The other issue is that originally before I installed the splitter, I had it maybe 1/2" lower and it was smoother to drive. Having it all the way up like I do, it feels like the stock suspension. IMO looks great but now I have to worry about wheel width and and tire sizes not working. I actually found this thread because I was looking for those answers.
IMG_20191006_144056.jpg

OP
DirtyChalupa
Thread Starter #4
I have the 47-167490 on my ST and the big take away is that at the highest setting the car sits about 2" lower than stock. I did not know what I was getting at the time, but this part number is for a regular Fiesta, not the ST. I have it raised all the way up and still hit the splitter on driveways. The other issue is that originally before I installed the splitter, I had it maybe 1/2" lower and it was smoother to drive. Having it all the way up like I do, it feels like the stock suspension. IMO looks great but now I have to worry about wheel width and and tire sizes not working. I actually found this thread because I was looking for those answers.
View attachment 34744
Lol, looks like we're in the same boat.

I contacted bilstein and they said they only carry the B14 PSS version, so that was even more confusing. Lol.

Fuck it, I'll prolly just got with the swift springs, lol. Don't need to be spending 1k right now anyway.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
All I can seem to find is that one is for the regular Fiesta/Mazda 2 and the other is for the Fiesta ST. Are they interchangeable? is there any performance difference?

I tried searching the Bilstein website for B14's and all it came up with were B14 PSS's for the Fiesta S, SE, and ST.

Sorry if someone has answered this already, I couldn't seem to find it on the forum.
we have both sets in stock
the ST kit allows for lowering the car more and has slightly stiffer spring rates
The standard kit (non-ST) is actually more popular for stock ride height fans

kevinatfms

we have both sets in stock
the ST kit allows for lowering the car more and has slightly stiffer spring rates
The standard kit (non-ST) is actually more popular for stock ride height fans
Hate to tell you but this is incorrect. I went through this with 5 different Bilstein reps and finally got an engineering tech on the line to go over the differences. Here is the spring rates list in a thread from what ive found trying to get a full list on them all:

https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/spring-rates-h-r-and-others-sth.22499/

Same rates on each kit - same spring part number and all. 274 front progressive rate / 228 rear progressive rate(final rates).

Rear damper is the exact same part number between the two kits.

Front damper is the only different part in the whole kit. Its threaded lower on the shock body and has different valving for the height difference.

Its also the only monotube damper set in the kit. The rear dampers are still a twin tube Bilstein B8 damper.

Last edited:
OP
DirtyChalupa
Thread Starter #8
Hate to tell you but this is incorrect. I went through this with 5 different Bilstein reps and finally got an engineering tech on the line to go over the differences. Here is the spring rates list in a thread from what ive found trying to get a full list on them all:

Same rates on each kit - same spring part number and all. 274 front progressive rate / 228 rear progressive rate(final rates).

Front damper is the only different part in the whole kit. Its threaded lower on the shock body and has different valving for the height difference.

Its also the only monotube damper set in the kit. The rear dampers are still a twin tube Bilstein B8 damper.
Thanks, dude. Gonna have a look at that thread.

Bumping this for answers, does this actually make a difference in terms of ride quality at a moderate drop?

Would this mean the ST is favored for going lower and retaining a better ride??

I have the B14 PSS adjusted to halfway on the height and am very happy with the setup. The ride is firm but more controlled than stock. With OEM wheel/tire size I have no rubbing at all, even over the biggest whoop-dee-doos.

IMG_2309.JPEG IMG_2308.JPEG IMG_2307.JPEG

OP
DirtyChalupa
Thread Starter #16
IDK bout you all but I ended up just going with the SWIFT Spec R springs. Gotta say I am pretty happy with the performance and street drivability quality. I know I am the one that started this thread like eons ago so I figured I would give you guys some closure, lol.
Street:
- It dropped the car about 1 inch which makes it look nicer but retains streetability. No scraping on speed bumps or driveways. No hitting parking bumps when parking.
- The cracks on the dry Arizona roads don't make it bounce up and down as much, it is substantially better. like you don't just bounce up and down on your seat anymore.
Performance Canyons/Track:
- It is flatter in the turns, you don't feel like you're about to tip over anymore. traction through a long turn feels more planted and grippy.
- It doesn't get easily unsettled over cracks and bumps. You don't skip across the road sideways when you hit bumps anymore.
- Braking feels flatter and less like the rear of the car wants to lift and come around you. Now it feels flatter and like the rear end is pushing into the car rather than trying to lift up and over it, If that makes sense. This seems especially true during hard braking.
- straight line traction surprisingly felt better too. Noticed a little less torque steer and drama. It seems to pull in the direction you are aiming more but this wasn't a drastic change, like when I first got a rear motor mount.
- Steering feels like it requires a little more input, It is basically not as twitchy into tight turns, which I suppose gives you more fine control since the input feels like it takes a little more to translate to the tires. I personally miss the crazy twitchiness of immediate and direct input because I enjoy the devious and chaotic personality of the fiesta. May be something I have to look into.
- Lift off oversteer is still there.
Conclusion:
Overall the car just feels more balanced and controlled in every aspect, from the streets to the sheets.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to message me and I will do my best to give an objective answer. That is if i remember to log back into the forum.

Happy holidays my fellow spooly boizzzz.

IDK bout you all but I ended up just going with the SWIFT Spec R springs. Gotta say I am pretty happy with the performance and street drivability quality. I know I am the one that started this thread like eons ago so I figured I would give you guys some closure, lol.
Street:
- It dropped the car about 1 inch which makes it look nicer but retains streetability. No scraping on speed bumps or driveways. No hitting parking bumps when parking.
- The cracks on the dry Arizona roads don't make it bounce up and down as much, it is substantially better. like you don't just bounce up and down on your seat anymore.
Performance Canyons/Track:
- It is flatter in the turns, you don't feel like you're about to tip over anymore. traction through a long turn feels more planted and grippy.
- It doesn't get easily unsettled over cracks and bumps. You don't skip across the road sideways when you hit bumps anymore.
- Braking feels flatter and less like the rear of the car wants to lift and come around you. Now it feels flatter and like the rear end is pushing into the car rather than trying to lift up and over it, If that makes sense. This seems especially true during hard braking.
- straight line traction surprisingly felt better too. Noticed a little less torque steer and drama. It seems to pull in the direction you are aiming more but this wasn't a drastic change, like when I first got a rear motor mount.
- Steering feels like it requires a little more input, It is basically not as twitchy into tight turns, which I suppose gives you more fine control since the input feels like it takes a little more to translate to the tires. I personally miss the crazy twitchiness of immediate and direct input because I enjoy the devious and chaotic personality of the fiesta. May be something I have to look into.
- Lift off oversteer is still there.
Conclusion:
Overall the car just feels more balanced and controlled in every aspect, from the streets to the sheets.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to message me and I will do my best to give an objective answer. That is if i remember to log back into the forum.

Happy holidays my fellow spooly boizzzz.

Are you still running stock struts or did you upgrade the struts to something else?

kevinatfms

So, got the TUV information for each Bilstein B14 kit. Here is what i found:

Front dampers are different as discussed before. Bump travel on Fiesta kit is 15mm MORE than the ST kit. Lowering max for the ST kit is 35mm while the Fiesta kit is 45mm.

Same front spring number E4-FD1-Y037B00

Front Damper numbers are as follows:
Fiesta kit - VE3-G750/VE-G751(European Number)
ST kit - 35-242055/35-242062(American Number)

Rear Damper numbers:
BE3-G752 for both kits.

The rear uses the same shocks, springs and seats. No change.

One thing i find odd is the rear damper is a different part number than the B8 damper. The TUV approval states the B14 rear damper is a monotube while the B8 is stated as a twin tube yet they are the same size, diameter and length.

So, got the TUV information for each Bilstein B14 kit. Here is what i found:

Front dampers are different as discussed before. Bump travel on Fiesta kit is 15mm MORE than the ST kit. Lowering max for the ST kit is 35mm while the Fiesta kit is 45mm.

Same front spring number E4-FD1-Y037B00

Front Damper numbers are as follows:
Fiesta kit - VE3-G750/VE-G751(European Number)
ST kit - 35-242055/35-242062(American Number)

Rear Damper numbers:
BE3-G752 for both kits.

The rear uses the same shocks, springs and seats. No change.

One thing i find odd is the rear damper is a different part number than the B8 damper. The TUV approval states the B14 rear damper is a monotube while the B8 is stated as a twin tube yet they are the same size, diameter and length.
Thank You for doing the leg work on this. Now that I'm getting close to needing tires, I want to change out the wheels, and have very limited options due to the offsets. I'm guessing that I will not be able to just buy the front dampers for the ST kit. Do you have contact info for someone at Bilstein that you've been working with? It's clear that there is lots of confusion between these two kits, because they are named the exact same with the only exception being the part number. As noted in post #3 this is as high as the regular fiesta kit goes on the ST. When I bought it, it was sold from modbargins as the Fiesta ST kit, and I did not know better at the time (2017). I'm just going to order the wheels I want, with the idea that I will also be buying a new coilover kit. I'd rather do that, then to order wheels that I think will work but not really what I want, then end up not working and I still need to do the suspension.