Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Blowing fuse after cowl intake install

As you know, I spent the day broke down due to a silly blown fuse. Well, In showing off tonight, I blew it again. Its #24, the 10a emissions system fuse. I cant figure out why and have a call into 2JR. My thoughts are that Im spooling so much faster than stock that the ecu cant keep up. Thoughts? Fixes?

I don't see anyone else blowing that fuse yet, despite flogging their cars presumably as much as they can. Do you have an aftermarket RMM? Bumped the exhaust cam sensor during installation or the mass air wire is rubbing something? BP wiring ok?

MOFiST

Yeah maybe could you have pinched a wire somewhere or maybe the insulation is stripped from a wire and short circuiting to ground. Look closely around the loom.

What other work have you recently done? Downpipe? Check your o2 sensors for a short and proper operation. Follow them back to the plastic plug and make sure they are clipped in properly as well. Space is tight back there especially installing that intake more likely you have hit something with your elbows/hands.

OP
S
Thread Starter #6
I havent installed a bov adapter, I do have a Cobb RMM, otherwise all stock. Stock exhaust. I may be bumping the cam sensor because its close, but I wouldn't think there would be that much movement.

OP
S
Thread Starter #7
I just looked at the cam semsor and I think that may be the issue. Its apparent that it has been struck. It was dark lastnight, so my goal this evening when I get off is to relocate the intake away from that.

I just looked at the cam semsor and I think that may be the issue. Its apparent that it has been struck. It was dark lastnight, so my goal this evening when I get off is to relocate the intake away from that.
I broke my cam sensor while installing an intake and the pins of the connector wiring were exposed. Didn't touch a ground, but could have. I had a CEL because it was an open circuit, though.

When extending the MAF wires did you cross two of them, or is one of the wires improperly insulated? Those sensors are touchy.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Blown fuse in this situation is highly likely from a short which has been brought up so I would go back and check everything you worked with step by step starting with the 02 sensor wiring.

You and use a multimeter, test light, etc if not available another way to check, ignition on, engine should not have to be running but do it that way as well if nothing turns up, move each wire around at the ends and anywhere they touch anything, fuse pops, there is the problem.

Let us know what you find, hope this helps:)
Rick

Test the 02 sensors first, no luck try all the other wiring in the area.

A loose plug somewhere will not likely blow a fuse, just cause a fault normally, a tiny piece of metal that fell into a connector could cause the blown fuse as well but it would keep popping all the time unless the connector is loose but then you should be seeing a fault code.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Is your BOV solonoid working as it should ? maybe it is starting to fail and draws too much juice causing a overload. They are only electrical parts and they do fail .. just spit ballin here ..

OP
S
Thread Starter #12
I actually used the MAF extender cabke so thats not an issue. Im almost willing to put money on the cam position sensor. Ill wrap a hose around it and try to create a bumper and try it again.

OP
S
Thread Starter #13
The BOV solenoid could also be the issue. The fuse always blows when I hit the clutch from 1st to 2nd. Seems I can blow the fuse on command now.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Make sure all wiring can move enough to not pull on it.

The method I mentioned for testing should show this in fact a wiring issue.

Now that it does it every time it seems more likely a short or possibly loose connector.

Electrical is usually cut and dried as to what is causing the issues but sometimes things are not so which makes the other advice here worth following up on if the above does not find it.

Being a prior Union Electrician and 20 years in ultra high end electronics in the USN I have seen some pretty bizarre issues to say the least but ones like this are usually just a short.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Check your purchased MAF cable for shorts. Just because you bought it, doesn't mean it does not have a potential defect. Use a multimeter to check for shorts in the cable. Place the positive probe in pin 1 on the left, and see if you get continuity on any other pin on the other side of the cable. Repeat for the next pin. Then go on to your BOV.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Make sure to give the wiring a good wiggle no matter what you are checking, sometimes it takes two people to do it right unless you have the right kind of probes or clips.

OP
S
Thread Starter #17
Right. I want to reinforce the fact that I am in no way blaming the intake, just the way I installed it. I couldnt be happier with it.

What components are tied to that fuse? I'm used to Audi wiring, but it seems strange to have the BOV tied to an emissions fuse. Anybody have wiring diagrams to post showing the path to/from the fuse? That would at least narrow it down to all possible culprits.

But please for the love of gawd, do not jsut slap a 30A fuse in and say it's fixed. that'll be a quick trip to new ECU lane.

i have the same issue, except the fuse that blows on mine is the injector fuse. whenever i hit some boost, over 12ish psi...Pop!!! i get a failure to communicate with fuel pump.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
i have the same issue, except the fuse that blows on mine is the injector fuse. whenever i hit some boost, over 12ish psi...Pop!!! i get a failure to communicate with fuel pump.
Which fuel pump? Again, check your FRP sensor. There's clearly a short/ground issue somewhere. Hopefully, it's just your MAP wiring, but if you can't solder or quick connect wires right, you're still going to have this problem when you get the extension. It's not going to hurt you to at least do a physical inspection in that area. You can lead a horse to water...