Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Blown Engine Resource Thread

Stock turbo. Full bolt ones. Had a pop tune from stratified. Melted cylinder wall n piston right past rings. 77k on motor
Stock cooling system or aftermarket radiator. My suspicion is that you actually didn't "melt" the piston, what you have is a piston that was destroyed by detonation. IT's why cooling can be so critical if these engines are run hard. Because one of the primary triggers for Detonation is too much heat in the combustion chamber. Two common causes for too much heat in the combustion chamber are engine over heating or a lean fuel mixture.

Erick_V

@Red83199

Username: Red83199
Car and Year: 20--
Mileage: 77k
What failed - piston, rod, injector etc?: Melted Cylinder Wall/Piston Cyl 4
Modifications and tune: Stock Turbo/FBO/Stratified Tuned (Fuel Type?)
Under what circumstances did it fail (WOT, cruising, what did you hear and feel?):
Any signs prior to failure?:
Warranty?:

Burnt a hole thru #4 piston. I suspect that the Mobil fuel I purchased wasn't the 91 octane it said on the pump. I was running the same tune on Chevron gas with no issues.

mdh152

Blew two engines this year.

First one:
X47R, Dizzy tune, 93 oct.. May likely have been due to oil starvation due to a technician fault at the dealer. Long story short it ran with a massive leak from the oil filter. Ring failure on cylinder 3. Tune was already done.

Second one:
X47R, Dizzy tune, 93 + WMI. Going to take a borescope it today to take a look, but it lost cylinder 4. It's burning oil like crazy and has no compression. Happened on the tune base map, didn't even have my first revision done yet.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Blew two engines this year.

First one:
X47R, Dizzy tune, 93 oct.. May likely have been due to oil starvation due to a technician fault at the dealer. Long story short it ran with a massive leak from the oil filter. Ring failure on cylinder 3. Tune was already done.

Second one:
X47R, Dizzy tune, 93 + WMI. Going to take a borescope it today to take a look, but it lost cylinder 4. It's burning oil like crazy and has no compression. Happened on the tune base map, didn't even have my first revision done yet.
Did you get the Turbo rebuilt after the last time the engine became lawn art? What Psi were you running?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

That's what happened to me. Burning oil and I thought I had burnt a hole in #4 piston, but it was a crack in the piston above the wrist pin boss that let go and it took out the rings. Had to buy a long block from Ford. Me running different brand of fuel must have been coincidence.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
That's what happened to me. Burning oil and I thought I had burnt a hole in #4 piston, but it was a crack in the piston above the wrist pin boss that let go and it took out the rings. Had to buy a long block from Ford
Were you also running a Pumaspeed X47R or x47?

It had peaked at 24 psi and dropped to a steady 20 psi as I was doing a Datalog at the time. My first purchase is going to be a Mountune radiator...I already bought a 180 thermostat.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
It had peaked at 24 psi and dropped to a steady 20 psi as I was doing a Datalog at the time. My first purchase is going to be a Mountune radiator...I already bought a 180 thermostat.
Are you going to have the Turbo looked at before install again to ensure it is healthy?

There is no place to get it serviced here in Canada or the US from what Turbo Technics told me as the turbo is a bespoke turbo, so only they have parts. I would have to send it back to England. I contacted Turbo Technics and they told me what to look for and the turbo seems fine. There is no drag or noise when spun, and I can spin it up by blowing 100 psi air thru it and there is nothing making contact and no excess play and no damage to either the tubine or compressor wheel.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
There is no place to get it serviced here in Canada or the US from what Turbo Technics told me as the turbo is a bespoke turbo, so only they have parts. I would have to send it back to England. I contacted Turbo Technics and they told me what to look for and the turbo seems fine. There is no drag or noise when spun, and I can spin it up by blowing 100 psi air thru it and there is nothing making contact and no excess play and no damage to either the tubine or compressor wheel.
who was the tuner?

Dizzy, but it wasn't the tune. You can clearly see a casting flaw in the piston where filings were collecting just above the wrist pin boss. I also bought the car with 12K km (7500 miles) and the clutch is shot at 17,500 km (11,000 miles) I have never had to replace a clutch in any vehicle I've owned, so me thinks the previous owners 17 yr old son thrashed this car...big time. The joys of buying used.

I sent Turbo Technics an email asking if I could purchase new bearings and seals and get them mailed to me and installed here, but I guess they didn't like that idea because they haven't replied in a week.

Last edited:

mdh152

Did you get the Turbo rebuilt after the last time the engine became lawn art? What Psi were you running?

I cleaned and inspected the turbo before reinstallation, it appeared to still be in near-perfect shape. I think I was running ~26psi?

dumb question warning. any of these popped motors coming from full throttle in 4th or 5th gear while cruising? another words lugging the motor then going full boogie.
...i never floor the go pedal without turning at least 3,000 rpm. most of the time from a cruise position it means a downshift. thanks for the thoughts. boyracer