Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Butterybunz is Back! Let the build thread commence...

OP
Butterybunz

Butterybunz

Thread Starter #63
Winter mode engaged. Raised the car up about an inch all around, had to trim the brake caliper so the wheels would clear and got an alignment. I'm on 185/55R-15 Bridgestone BlizzaK WS80s this winter. Wheels are Vision 521 Nitro 15x7 ET0. Dry traction and handling are completely gone, sad day.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
You go mud flap-less for the winter up there?

Did you do any extra corrosion preventative treatment (beyond what you already did for the flare installation) of the cut fender lip/edges in preparation for the winter salt soup season?

OP
Butterybunz

Butterybunz

Thread Starter #65
You go mud flap-less for the winter up there?

Did you do any extra corrosion preventative treatment (beyond what you already did for the flare installation) of the cut fender lip/edges in preparation for the winter salt soup season?
I've been debating mud flaps. I don't like the look of them personally but they would be really useful. The metal part of the fenders is all painted and has a a rubber trim piece along the edge. I modified the fender liners to work with the new setup.

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Just bought a Quaife LSD... Not sure when I'll get it installed but I'm excited to see the difference it will make in the snow and on track!

Let me know if you decide to install it yourself. I'm back in MN now so I could lend you a hand. I installed my M-Factory LSD myself back in July. It's been running great, no leaks whatsoever, no issues. It's a big job but if you have all the parts you need then it's just putting the time in to do it. I did it in a garage with jack stands on the front completely all on my own so I know how much work it is. Totally worth it though!

OP
Butterybunz

Butterybunz

Thread Starter #67
Let me know if you decide to install it yourself. I'm back in MN now so I could lend you a hand. I installed my M-Factory LSD myself back in July. It's been running great, no leaks whatsoever, no issues. It's a big job but if you have all the parts you need then it's just putting the time in to do it. I did it in a garage with jack stands on the front completely all on my own so I know how much work it is. Totally worth it though!
I've been shopping around for quotes. I don't feel comfortable handling the install myself. Very impressive you did it yourself, do you have any background as a mechanic?

Last edited:

VirtualRonin

Active Military
I've been shopping around for quotes. I don't feel comfortable handling the install myself. Very impressive you did it yourself, do you have any background as a mechanic?
I was an aircraft mechanic, airframes structural and hydraulics, for 9 years in the military. Plus I started tinkering with cars back in 2001 or so when I had a 97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. For me, I feel I can do most anything automotive as long as I have a good service manual. The information on the forums was also extremely helpful. Hopefully you can find a good shop to do the install. You'll notice a huge difference on the track coming out of turns. I'm hoping it helps with traction this winter as well.

OP
Butterybunz

Butterybunz

Thread Starter #69
I was an aircraft mechanic, airframes structural and hydraulics, for 9 years in the military. Plus I started tinkering with cars back in 2001 or so when I had a 97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. For me, I feel I can do most anything automotive as long as I have a good service manual. The information on the forums was also extremely helpful. Hopefully you can find a good shop to do the install. You'll notice a huge difference on the track coming out of turns. I'm hoping it helps with traction this winter as well.
Tons of shops are turning down the work. They are saying they need a special tool to press in the bearings. How did you get around this? Ford wants $1,600 to install.

Tons of shops are turning down the work. They are saying they need a special tool to press in the bearings. How did you get around this? Ford wants $1,600 to install.
Have you tried Autonation White Bear Lake? Steven from the facebook group has helped me out on a few projects. He gives a discounted rate for MN ST's members.

VirtualRonin

Active Military
I put the diff in the freezer for 24 hours to get it nice and cold to contract the steel. I then heated the ID of each bearing with a heat gun just prior to install to expand the bearing. You'll need an install tool to evenly tap the bearings down into place on the differential before the bearing cools and gets stuck on the diff. I would recommend a bearing installation kit with different size sleeves. I didn't use one, I just used what I had available in the garage because I didn't have an install tool, which was an oversight on my part. The only special tool I had on hand was a Lisle 12600 Bearing Driver kit. I use that tool and the race from the other bearing as a spacer to drive the bearing down. Not recommended but in a pinch it worked. I only had to tap lightly to seat the bearing onto the diff so I wasn't too worried about damaging anything.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I've had quotes of OVER $2500.00 for just the labor around here-WHY I am not even considering this essential to me mod yet. [:(]

OP
Butterybunz

Butterybunz

Thread Starter #75
I've had quotes of OVER $2500.00 for just the labor around here-WHY I am not even considering this essential to me mod yet. [:(]
Yup. I was expecting around $800 to have it installed and now it's proving to be difficult. My usual friend/mechanic will install the lsd but he doesn't want to be the one to drop the trans. He works out of his garage and doesn't want to do it on his back. I might have a local shop pull the trans and then I bring it to him.

Well that sucks. Too bad Adam isnt local anymore :(
True. Although he didn't do this type of work when he was local. Would be nice if his new shop was here for sure.

Definitely not close to you. But mitch from CPE is the man!! He did my install zero issues and very fair price. Definitely not $1500

OP
Butterybunz

Butterybunz

Thread Starter #78
Damn I'm bad at keeping this thing updated!!!

Recent Mods:
Quaife LSD Installe! Thanks to my friend VirtualRonin & a Ford mechanic friend of mine.
Tarox 6-Piston BBK with Track Pads
ADV1 ADV5 Track Spec 3-Piece Forged Wheels W/ Titanium Hardware & Lugnuts
245/35/17 Toyo R1R Tires
Euro LHD Headlights W/ VirtualRonin's Wiring Kit
Diffuser Fins
Big Mouth Snorkel
Pierce Motorsports Bracing

I'll try to get some better pics. These are from my cell which is pretty dated.

First track weekend is early June, I'll get to test the LSD on track [rockon]