Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clutch pedal sticking down, still engaging

PunkST

2000 Post Club
"Crank walk" was an issue for the Eclipses and Talons... not the FiST.

This may be something that you just have to figure out on your own and post back.

We have a light clutch but I'd think there would be enough return force to overcome a pedal assembly that's binding. But number of reports of noisy pedals might be unusually high in occurrence.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site:fiestastforum.com+noisy+clutch+pedal
This is something that is cheap to eliminate from a time and cost perspective. May consider taking it apart, inspecting for damage/wear, lubing it up and reinstalling.

Master Cylinder is cheap. (priced high as far as they go, but still cheap)
https://www.villagefordparts.com/v-2016-ford-fiesta--st--1-6l-l4-gas/clutch--hydraulic-system

Given that "FiST to Death" replaced his clutch components... though I'm not 100% clear that he did the clutch cover assembly.... I'd start with the aforementioned. Only after all of that, would I consider going after the self-adjusting clutch; particularly because people aren't sure of the cause.

Noisy pedal or sticking it to the floor, fortunately is nothing I've experienced at this point.
Idk if that was the fix for that owner. Just another possible source for the problem.
Also just because its a ferd doesnt mean they didnt mess up somewhere when designing the parts( like they have in other places on these cars)
FWIW my clutch pedal hasnt squeaked or given any warning beforehand.

Last edited:
This has happened to me twice in the last two months, both times on hot, humid days. I've had the same experience others have described. I think I'll just take it in to the dealer to get the issue reported. I'm not hopeful that they'll have a clear answer.

Given that "FiST to Death" replaced his clutch components... though I'm not 100% clear that he did the clutch cover assembly.... I'd start with the aforementioned. Only after all of that, would I consider going after the self-adjusting clutch; particularly because people aren't sure of the cause.
In my case, everything was replaced inside the bell housing. It got a Fidenza flywheel and everything else is stock FoMoCo- clutch disc, pressure plate, flywheel bolts, pressure plate bolts, slave cylinder/throw out bearing, all of it.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Car did it again. This time AC was not blowing on the floor like the other 2times. So whatever it is, its gotta be mechanical

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Not a joke. As you go to swing into oncoming traffic on that left turn, you press the clutch pedal down, move to 2nd and release... only to have it on the floor... the other people and you, could be screwed. Be aware, be safe; until the issue is licked, stay in first until you complete that left turn.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Ahh. It mainly happens as im getting going from a standstill. But i am being wary of it.

Same issue is happening to me. 73k miles. Feels to me like the issue could be in the pedal assembly itself as it's snapping back to position once i coax it with my foot rather than slowly being lifted back. Makes me think the issue is less with the hydraulics and more a spring. Hoping this isn't a drop the trans type repair but an excuse to install an LSD would be welcome.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Good lord. That is way too much failed equipment for the milage this is happening at.

I had the same issue in February while snowboarding at Big Bear. Clutch pedal was getting stuck up the mountain. Leaving Big Bear, the clutch fully depressed and would not come up. Car was towed back 78 miles. Mechanic near my house ordered a new clutch kit and the OE lasted 141,020 miles.

What mileage did this occur at? What power levels are you at?
I'm on Cobb Stage 3 map and bolt ons. 50K miles however ~35K have been on stop and go traffic as it was my daily. I live in a place with steep hills, for sure that is a contributing factor. At some point about 30K miles I noticed a "clank clank clank clank..." noise while at idle with clutch depressed. If I pressed it sound went away. It was fairly quiet to consider it as a problem, just thought it was how it was supposed to sound. Probably I even had some alignment issues. I remember once seeing a guy on YouTube with similar sound only brutally louder.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Im on the same map, with 114k miles on a 2016. No clanking from my car to indicate a DMF failure. And while i have tracked the car and taken it cross country, it shouldnt be failing at the milage these are. Im gonna chalk it up to cheap parts that can only hold factory power. And nothing really past that.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Clutch released, lightly audible clatter. Depress clutch, clatter goes away. Prior car did this for most of it's life; still OE, sold around 327k miles due to rust. This was likely the release bearing rattling around on the shaft.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=clutch+release+bearing
Harmless. My FiST has been doing the same for some time. Concerned at first, I began ignore it since the noise hasn't changed. Like my prior vehicle, it comes and goes. Far more consistent and audible on cold and frigid starts. (parts expand, tolerances decrease, when warm/hot)

There is a different manufacturer vehicle, Subaru if I recall correctly, where that noise is specifically tied to a failing dual-mass flywheel.

Im on the same map, with 114k miles on a 2016. No clanking from my car to indicate a DMF failure. And while i have tracked the car and taken it cross country, it shouldnt be failing at the milage these are. Im gonna chalk it up to cheap parts that can only hold factory power. And nothing really past that.
The clutch is supposed to be pretty sturdy, perhaps the europeans and american versions don't use the exact same supplier. Anyway I know that for me 50K is the lifespan. Next change I'll be prepared with the parts prior to the fault, it took 1 month for the dealership to get the parts. Local Ford dealers are famous for their terrible service.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
It doesnt help that i hit a deer and stalled it with the car in gear. ( slammed on the brakes) car has been a problem child since.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
It doesnt help that i hit a deer and stalled it with the car in gear. ( slammed on the brakes) car has been a problem child since.
Yeah, that can jack the whole trans, for sure.