Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clutch Squeak

My FiST is creating a loud squeak/fart noise went letting off the clutch pedal aggressively. It sounds like it’s coming from the transmission rather inside the car. But, the slave and clutch were replaced less than 2k miles ago. Could it be the master on the pedal? Even though the squeak is more prevalent outside. The fluid seems to be dark, making me believe there’s an air leak for water to get it. Anything helps, thanks!

Your brake fluid gets water in it even without any sort of leak. Brake fluid is hydroscopic so it absorbs water. Which is why you should be changing the fluid every 2 years at minimum to not have a bunch of water in your brake lines. If you fluid is black it probably has loads of water in it and I would recommend you flush that out.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Your brake fluid gets water in it even without any sort of leak. Brake fluid is hydroscopic so it absorbs water. Which is why you should be changing the fluid every 2 years at minimum to not have a bunch of water in your brake lines. If you fluid is black it probably has loads of water in it and I would recommend you flush that out.
Slightly off topic, but I’ve been wondering about this. I have extra brake fluid bottles that I’ve used some of when I was bleeding my brakes last year. Is that stuff still good to use or will it absorb water and “go bad” with time? I assume that it might be bad even in the bottle if you’re saying that there doesn’t have to be a leak for it to absorb water.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Slightly off topic, but I’ve been wondering about this. I have extra brake fluid bottles that I’ve used some of when I was bleeding my brakes last year. Is that stuff still good to use or will it absorb water and “go bad” with time? I assume that it might be bad even in the bottle if you’re saying that there doesn’t have to be a leak for it to absorb water.
Once you open the bottle (or even metal can, which is slightly better at resisting moisture/air ingress than plastic), moisture is getting in there.

Putting the tightly closed container in a sealed plastic bag, with all of the air forced out of it, and some strong desiccant (like silica gel) inside as well, will slow down the process somewhat, but not eliminate it. [:(]

The atmospheric humidity in which it is stored (or even when in the car's systems) also comes to bear as well.

The Sonoran Desert, or Death Valley is going to result in less moisture being absorbed over time than Houston, where you are, or any points further south in the southeast. [wink]

Last edited:

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Once you open the bottle (or even metal can, which is slightly better at resisting moisture/air ingress than plastic), moisture is getting in there.

Putting the tightly closed container in a sealed plastic bag, with all of the air forced out of it, and some strong desiccant (like silica gel) inside as well, will slow down the process somewhat, but not eliminate it. [:(]

The atmospheric humidity in which it is stored (or even when in the car's systems) also comes to bear as well.

The Sonoran Desert, or Death Valley is going to result in less moisture being absorbed over time than Houston, where you are, or any points further south in the southeast. [wink]
Thanks for the answer, that’s what I figured.
It’s crazy humid here in NC, so I’m screwed lol.
As cheap as brake fluid is, I’ll probably just get a new bottle each time I bleed my brakes.

Thanks for the answer, that’s what I figured.
It’s crazy humid here in NC, so I’m screwed lol.
As cheap as brake fluid is, I’ll probably just get a new bottle each time I bleed my brakes.
Yea unfortunately once you open a bottle, just like mentioned above, it's going to start absorbing water. I usually just bleed my fluid a little extra just to make sure all the old fluid is out and make use of the fluid I've already opened.
Or it may be smart to do a partial bleed on a second car just to make use of the fluid.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

Brake fluid will last only 3 months after being opened*