Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cobb AP flat foot shifting

So i just happened to run across cobbs updates and obviously launch control sounds good the way cobb has it set up. The full throttle shifting though, does anyone know the technical details on how that works? i havent tried it out yet, but im wondering how the accessport makes it safe on the trans and clutch. My guess is it somehow cuts power as soon as you engage the clutch, then reengages power as soon as the clutch is lifted. That would be some crazy stuff for a relatively inexpensive little device. if thats the case, next step for cobb: make an automatic blip in the throttle on downshifts like other sporty manual trans cars have!

just wondering if anyone has tried it out and what they think!

iso100

1000 Post Club
When throttle is WOT and the clutch is depressed (and the car is moving faster than say 20), RPM is limited to 5000.

So, up shift at roughly redline and the revs should drop just enough to match the next gear.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
When throttle is WOT and the clutch is depressed (and the car is moving faster than say 20), RPM is limited to 5000.

So, up shift at roughly redline and the revs should drop just enough to match the next gear.
Tried this at the Track it works really SLICK !!!

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
How do you make it bounce of the TC limiter while idling like in the braden video?

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
How do you make it bounce of the TC limiter while idling like in the braden video?
Which Video ? I must have missed it ?
I have a hard limiter in mine set at 3500 and when it hits it kinda sounds like a rally car but it uses different programing to limit I think it the soft limiter closes the throttle plate or something like that I tough a hard limit plays with the fuel flow..

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thank don't do instagram so no wonder i missed it.. sounds like a like of hard and soft rev limiters to me .. maybe he will chime in

OP
S
Thread Starter #9

sweet. yeah, thats what i figured, but i just wanted to make sure!
that'll definitely help with the straight line speed. people underestimate the fiesta st because they see it's 0-60 time and laugh and it really cheeses me off. stock, the car is as fast as sub 6 second cars, but 3 gears to 60 and being manual isn't exactly perfect for short sprints.

iso100

1000 Post Club
Hold down the cruise control on button. Mash pedal to floor. That's launch control.

I flat foot shifted twice this week and during my third to fourth gear shifts I reverted to my instincts and lifted a bit while engaging the clutch...Over revved my engine both times to around 8000 rim according to the needle. I am absolutely terrified I've blown something in my motor every time and try to convince myself everything is OK by getting back on boost after 30 seconds to confirm the engine is still pulling normally.

Braden,

Have you guys seen any side effects of over revving the motor? Obviously I need to readjust my level of commitment and my brain to accept the FFS feature. I'm just worried about damaging the motor and I would like to know exactly where the new fuel/throttle cut off is. Thanks.

I flat foot shifted twice this week and during my third to fourth gear shifts I reverted to my instincts and lifted a bit while engaging the clutch...Over revved my engine both times to around 8000 rim according to the needle. I am absolutely terrified I've blown something in my motor every time and try to convince myself everything is OK by getting back on boost after 30 seconds to confirm the engine is still pulling normally.

Braden,

Have you guys seen any side effects of over revving the motor? Obviously I need to readjust my level of commitment and my brain to accept the FFS feature. I'm just worried about damaging the motor and I would like to know exactly where the new fuel/throttle cut off is. Thanks.
Unless you were flat foot shifting in a downward fashion this would be unlikely. The normal limiter would fuel cut at 7000 if the soft limiter didn't catch first at 6800-6900.

Cheers,
Braden @ COBB

Braden,

I must say that I agree with OP that you guys should add a rev - match down shift feature. That would be the tits.

Braden,

Nope what happened was on upshift. Was going to flat foot, had foot to the floor when I engaged the clutch but lifted my throttle out of the minimum 90% mark...maybe out to 75% which disengaged FFS and the engine over revved. Needle hit nearly 8000 rpm. There were scary sounds coming from the engine bay...thought my valves were all gonna fly out along with my pistons. I was just curious why or if it was even possible for the engine to rev so high.

Also rev match on downshifts would be tight!!!

airjor13

2000 Post Club
I tried FFS for the first time over this weekend, damn it was fun but it was hard to fight the muscle memory!

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
I tried FFS for the first time over this weekend, damn it was fun but it was hard to fight the muscle memory!
I know right I hate it when I am half way through the gear change and my foot just comes up .. If I don't think of it it works just great on track keeping the fun pedal on the floor after launch...

Muscle memory does suck. Went for it today 2nd to 3rd and up into 6th. Hit 130 against a coworkers 350 whp wrx...He couldn't believe how hard my car went he thought he would walk me. And he did but not as easy as he'd thought. The commitment has to be there otherwise muscle memory takes over. Had a ride along with another coworker this morning and flat footed...He freaked out thought I was gonna blow my car up haha. Luckily I hit the brakes before Johnny Law almost caught me.i now work for Subaru and it concerns me our back ends get so light under heavy braking...do we have electronic brake biasing????

iso100

1000 Post Club
Weight transfer. There's really nothing else that can be done. The cars are kinda tall in comparison to length.

OP
S
Thread Starter #19
i now work for Subaru and it concerns me our back ends get so light under heavy braking...do we have electronic brake biasing????
iso is right. the front suspension set up isn't rock solid so the car dips a bit and the weight comes off the back wheels.

I figured that one pretty quickly I am just surprised brake bias is not thrown to the rears so hard as to try and keep the back end a bit more steady. Guys with proper dampers chime in on your experience with this issue after you upgraded. Also I feel someone needs to bring a big brake kit out with larger rear rotors to help out with that.

Went down my driveway yesterday and yanked the handbrake...absolutely no stopping with the handbrake at all! Never experienced that on any other car I've driven with a manual handbrake.