Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cobb released a new v1.02 tune

I installed v102 Stage 1 93 Oct. yesterday, but haven't really been able to do any fun runs (did about 250 miles of highway driving though, 34mpg average). No false readings for boost pressure (I didn't wring it out but it seems the max I'm getting is about 19.8 psi, which is in the +/- 0.5 psi threshold of error for the AccessPort I think).

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #24
Seems to me ( at least in my car ) I'm getting A LOT more 20.5-21psi peak spikes now, where as before, I had a lot of 18.8psi-19.5psi spikes.

Also... I have another 2psi or so on top of what it spikes and... No knock/timing pulled. So really, I'm getting about 23psi on some of these spikes, and no knock. Of course... Its been 73-85degrees here, so its a little cooler than normal too... This thing was a "freak beast" on the interstate the other night when it dipped to 58 briefly.

Hmm I'm def in the 18-19 psi camp.
Maybe I have a tiny boost leak somewhere
Maybe, maybe not. My peak boost so far has been 19.81 psi, and that's within the +/- margin of error of the AP, or very close to it, for the boost target of the v102 map. A/F has looked good, too.

Today is day 3 with 93 v.102 for me and I have to say I'm finally impressed with the car.

Pickup from low rpm is smooth and instant. It actually forced me to be less lazy with my clutch work. Torque is definitely more noticeable now that I feel there is almost no lag. Before I was getting a little and the turbo would spike up to 22 psi before settling down to 19.8 to 20.5 psi. I've noticed boost pressure is much more consistent and I only saw 20.7 as my max spike this morning (50 degrees ambient temp).

I actually scared myself this morning ragging on it all the way to work. One thing I did notice was a serious urgency in acceleration in 6th going from 70 to 95 mph. It doesn't feel out of breath anymore. Haven't checked my AFR yet as I'm only running 2 gauges at the moment but I'll look at it this afternoon to see if it's any different than v.102.

The best thing about it is my wife last night got properly scared riding home and said the car felt faster than last week. I explained to her about the torque target changes in the lower gears and she told me COBB would be the cause of my death is I continued modding lol. She also mentioned she felt the car was much smoother in delivery and she liked that, to her, it didn't seem to have the "yo-yo" effect when the turbo spooled anymore.

Happy wife, happy life. Now she just needs to agree that Stage 2 is a good idea!

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Today is day 3 with 93 v.102 for me and I have to say I'm finally impressed with the car.

Pickup from low rpm is smooth and instant. It actually forced me to be less lazy with my clutch work. Torque is definitely more noticeable now that I feel there is almost no lag. Before I was getting a little and the turbo would spike up to 22 psi before settling down to 19.8 to 20.5 psi. I've noticed boost pressure is much more consistent and I only saw 20.7 as my max spike this morning (50 degrees ambient temp).

I actually scared myself this morning ragging on it all the way to work. One thing I did notice was a serious urgency in acceleration in 6th going from 70 to 95 mph. It doesn't feel out of breath anymore. Haven't checked my AFR yet as I'm only running 2 gauges at the moment but I'll look at it this afternoon to see if it's any different than v.102.

The best thing about it is my wife last night got properly scared riding home and said the car felt faster than last week. I explained to her about the torque target changes in the lower gears and she told me COBB would be the cause of my death is I continued modding lol. She also mentioned she felt the car was much smoother in delivery and she liked that, to her, it didn't seem to have the "yo-yo" effect when the turbo spooled anymore.

Happy wife, happy life. Now she just needs to agree that Stage 2 is a good idea!
Pretty good summary [twothumb]

Seems to me ( at least in my car ) I'm getting A LOT more 20.5-21psi peak spikes now, where as before, I had a lot of 18.8psi-19.5psi spikes.

Also... I have another 2psi or so on top of what it spikes and... No knock/timing pulled. So really, I'm getting about 23psi on some of these spikes, and no knock. Of course... Its been 73-85degrees here, so its a little cooler than normal too... This thing was a "freak beast" on the interstate the other night when it dipped to 58 briefly.
What is the extra 2 PSI from? Have you taken any logs? In what gear do you get the 23 psi boost spikes?

Ian

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #32
Ian. The extra boost is from an aftermarket product I'm testing. I'm using the AP3 to monitor for knock etc and to look for a few other bugs. Not to be an A-whole, but its not my design, my product, or my investment to talk about. I'm merely an experienced "turbo guy" giving feedback. But it has shown that that stock turbo can produce another bit of boost without knock. How/if you guys can make it do that with the cobb software is another matter. I haven't got to use/experiment with the race tuner software. All I can do is say if the "OTS" tunes work with this product or not. And so far. It works AWESOME. This thing is an animal in 6th on the interstate.

If someone were to not have the AP3, and they wanted more power at a much lower cost, is product will be the way to go. Its really a totally different product versus the AP3. The AP has infinite EVERYTHING really, and gauges, and CEL reset, and datalogging. But this product will be about to match or beat the power numbers the AP3 puts on the dyno, although it will come up short in all those other areas. Cost to benefit ratio will be in its favor.

If cobb/anyone figures out or forces the stock ecu to increase boost pressures, then the people that already have AP3's need not worry. But if no one figures out how to increase the boost per rpm then this product will be value to people without the AP as well as with the AP ( like me currently ).

I can say this... Its not been on a dyno. But when I took my GF out in the car with it installed she looked at me and said, "ok, what did you do to it? "Feisty" feels a whole lot "Feisty-er" tonight.

The Ford ST ECU tuning strategy uses load targets to not only adjust boost pressure, but timing, fuel, and lots more. I would recommend reading the tuning guide for a full overview of the tuning strategy. We expose the factory tuning tables, and this is why there isn't a "boost table" or similar. Also, we don't recommend using any piggyback devices or sensor "foolers" to increase boost pressure or remove sensors from their factory locations as this can send false information back to the ECU and cause the car to not run safely.

Tuning for higher boost pressures via the load targeting can be done 100% within Accesstuner as evident by ATP's turbo testing. 260+ WHP tuned with only the facotry ECU, and Accessport, and Acceesstuner!

Ian

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #34
I'm not doubting the over all power and reach of the access tuner at all. I enjoy mine. I will say... Its $520. A lot of room for cheaper, smaller steps below the AP.

v102 saved me from a deep depression (lol). After flashing to v101 from v100 the car felt so different and not nearly as impressive. Boost peaked around 18.5 and the car felt flat. I was really disappointed.

All is good an well in the FiST world now, and the v102 tune brings back the boost (hitting 20.5 again) and the good feelings.

TheStig

Just DL'ed the new V102 maps last night and car feels more responsive throughout the power band, plus my car peaked at 19.5PSI before now its at 20.5PSI.

Just DL'ed the new V102 maps last night and car feels more responsive throughout the power band, plus my car peaked at 19.5PSI before now its at 20.5PSI.
I've also noticed a serious increase in fuel consumption with v.102...seems much harder to get 30 mpg in daily commuting. Wonder if it's the mapping or my right foot to blame lol.

I've also noticed a serious increase in fuel consumption with v.102...seems much harder to get 30 mpg in daily commuting. Wonder if it's the mapping or my right foot to blame lol.
I too noticed that, the rest of the tank seemed to disappear. Just filled up yesterday so this will be first full tank on v102. Hopefully it lasts a bit longer.

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
I felt like V 100 was the most economical on fuel, V101 didn't hit the 34mpg mark like the V100 map used to.

Need a better econ map, too.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Im losing close to 5mpg with this v102. But the car feels great from the bottom.