Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cold air intake or K&N filter

So I was looking to put in a K&N filter to increase my air intake also thinking of the cold air intake system from K&N.
Reading about this on the interweb but would would like direct advice from real people (youz guyz)
It seems to me the filter is doing the same thing as the full air intake system with third the cost.
Whats your opinions, also what brands are the best. Thanx[thumb]

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
I recently installed an injen intake and the only difference I noticed was more sound from the engine/turbo. It's much louder. Performance wise.. There might be a few extra ponies, but I cannot tell the difference.

Personally I've always opted for a full cold air intake system over a replacement drop in filter.

When I took out the stock intake it had a dent in it from banging against a line in the back of the bay. An aftermarket rear motor mount should be one of the first mods of your list.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
As retarded as it sounds, there's very little legitimate third-party data to actually determine whether any intakes do anything-let alone which might do more. What I can tell you though, is that there is no performance benefit of a drop-in over the OEM paper filter.

OP
speed racer
Thread Starter #5
So your saying you had both filter and an Injen?
I recently installed an injen intake and the only difference I noticed was more sound from the engine/turbo. It's much louder. Performance wise.. There might be a few extra ponies, but I cannot tell the difference.

Personally I've always opted for a full cold air intake system over a replacement drop in filter.

When I took out the stock intake it had a dent in it from banging against a line in the back of the bay. An aftermarket rear motor mount should be one of the first mods of your list.

OP
speed racer
Thread Starter #8
So are you saying there is a notable benefit with a full cold air intake?
As retarded as it sounds, there's very little legitimate third-party data to actually determine whether any intakes do anything-let alone which might do more. What I can tell you though, is that there is no performance benefit of a drop-in over the OEM paper filter.

I did both a K&N filter in the stock box and then installed the K&N intake.
The filter increased the turbo sound a little, the full intake increased it a lot.
Performance wise, it is not really noticeable... But there may be a bit of a placebo effect, because I do like the intake.
I don't have logs, but I do monitor the intake temp with my eyeballs and I saw no noticeable change in temps. The K&N full intake MAY get hotter in traffic, but i was never in major traffic with the stock box. Stop and go traffic in Florida can get HOT.

OP
speed racer
Thread Starter #10
Thank you... so basically both are a waste of money, unless doing it for sound. Ughh, so on to my next question, maybe different post, what device or product gives more horsepower or performance? Access port? exhaust?or ?
I did both a K&N filter in the stock box and then installed the K&N intake.
The filter increased the turbo sound a little, the full intake increased it a lot.
Performance wise, it is not really noticeable... But there may be a bit of a placebo effect, because I do like the intake.
I don't have logs, but I do monitor the intake temp with my eyeballs and I saw no noticeable change in temps. The K&N full intake MAY get hotter in traffic, but i was never in major traffic with the stock box. Stop and go traffic in Florida can get HOT.

I got the K&N intake because it was available on Amazon and I could use points to buy it, making it feel like a very cheap mod!
If you don't have an access port, that's the way to go for sure.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
So are you saying there is a notable benefit with a full cold air intake?
Sort of, but not exactly. What I'm saying is that we don't really have the data to prove/disprove gains. For some reason, members either don't want to test just an intake or they only have an opinion without data. It could go either way.

Better gains can definitely be had with a AP3. AP3 + FMIC + DP + E30 tune for max gains on minimal dollars.

iso100

1000 Post Club
Here's a dyno before and after installation of the CP-E intake on my car.

+16ft/lb and +10hp and that's compared to the stock box with a drop-in K&N filter and a silicone intake hose.

One caveat is that the metal piping does heat soak if the car is sitting still either idling or parked. I'm going to wrap them in DEI Reflect-a-Gold today.

rexdriver85

Here's a dyno before and after installation of the CP-E intake on my car.

+16ft/lb and +10hp and that's compared to the stock box with a drop-in K&N filter and a silicone intake hose.

One caveat is that the metal piping does heat soak if the car is sitting still either idling or parked. I'm going to wrap them in DEI Reflect-a-Gold today.
Looks great. This is what I'm probably going with. Can you post some pictures after the heat wrap is completed?

iso100

1000 Post Club
Looks great. This is what I'm probably going with. Can you post some pictures after the heat wrap is completed?
Certainly. I'll likely only wrap the smaller section today as the other section requires at least peeling back half the cowl to get to the hose clamp.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Thank you... so basically both are a waste of money, unless doing it for sound. Ughh, so on to my next question, maybe different post, what device or product gives more horsepower or performance? Access port? exhaust?or ?
Definetly go with access port. Even if you are completely stock it wakes up the car

rexdriver85

Certainly. I'll likely only wrap the smaller section today as the other section requires at least peeling back half the cowl to get to the hose clamp.
Thank you sir [emoji106]. I wanted to get the race red version to match the car, but if the heat wrap will have a good benefit, I am more interested in that versus a color match.

iso100

1000 Post Club

Sort of, but not exactly. What I'm saying is that we don't really have the data to prove/disprove gains. For some reason, members either don't want to test just an intake or they only have an opinion without data. It could go either way.
Did you see the dyno I posted? The only variable was the addition of the intake. +16wft/lb and +10whp peak. Average gains 7wft/lb and 6whp.

rexdriver85

Did you see the dyno I posted? The only variable was the addition of the intake. +16wft/lb and +10whp peak. Average gains 7wft/lb and 6whp.
Looks really good! Very professional. Wonder if it will help with heat soak? Did you use the 2 inch roll?