Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cold air intake or K&N filter

OP
speed racer
Thread Starter #41
[MENTION=930]dyn085[/MENTION] I think I'll be getting a tuner anytime soon, tho I will keep them in mind
Thanks!

As a short and related-but-off-topic example, when Razorlab was with us, he and I were actively trading and comparing some logs based on setups. One of the items we were analyzing was the FMIC, where he had the J-Line and I had the Cobb. It was very easy to discern a difference between the two by looking at the data because we both knew what we were doing, logging, and looking at (albeit, he was significantly more experienced than I due to his extensive tuning experience). Without a doubt, the J-Line outperformed the Cobb unit by a few degrees.

I had to accept the fact that his FMIC outperformed mine, and I was perfectly ok with that because that data comparison did not exist until we did it. Would I have made a different purchase with that info? Maybe, maybe not. Both parts have their pluses and minuses, and in no way was the Cobb unit 'bad' as the difference was only ever around 4 degrees max. But from that moment on there was a baseline with legitimate and comparable data for which others could build on or add to regarding FMIC's (well, there was until it got deleted). It made a very clear example to be able to say 'x outperforms y' or 'y is a complete bolt-on but you give up a few degrees of cooling compared to x for that convenience'.

Tl;dr-We're behind the power-curve (pun intended) at being able to accurately answer the OP's question. That's up to us, as a community, to either begin to collect and analyze the data or to continue to just try and guess. It's easy for a vendor or manufacturer to tell us how awesome their product is and why we should give them our money, but it's up to us to determine just how accurate their statements/claims end up being when the rubber meets the road and to spread that information accordingly.

Anywho, [MENTION=1629]speed racer[/MENTION]-I see you're in Smyrna. Are you going to have Injected do your tuning?

me32

1000 Post Club
I would say that I've proven with dyno data and log data (airflow mass lb/min) that the CP-E performs better than the stock intake with K&N. I also had the silicone induction hose (like Mountune) on at the time of testing the "before" so that's another ~$150 "mod" in addition to the filter.

Is it worth $399? That's up to the OP and his budget. In the NA world, people have spent far more than $399 for a 7hp improvement (average) across the board with a 16ft/lb peak gain down low.
What tune were you running for these gains?

iso100

1000 Post Club
What tune were you running for these gains?
An etune by Randy from Mountune. I was running a detuned map though as I was concerned about negative corrections on the dyno where I wasn't the operator and couldn't confirm that the fans were keeping charge temps down.

me32

1000 Post Club
An etune by Randy from Mountune. I was running a detuned map though as I was concerned about negative corrections on the dyno where I wasn't the operator and couldn't confirm that the fans were keeping charge temps down.
So on a stock tune or a stage 1 tune with cobb may not gain those numbers you gain then. Correct?

iso100

1000 Post Club
So on a stock tune or a stage 1 tune with cobb may not gain those numbers you gain then. Correct?
Correct. My dyno would seem to indicate the upper range of gains possible.

Not sure much would happen with the stock tune if you're already achieving requested torque.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Torque truncation is only in the first two gears iirc, so gains should be measurable beyond.

iso100

1000 Post Club
Torque truncation is only in the first two gears iirc, so gains should be measurable beyond.
What I'm referring to is torque targets. The ECU tuning strategy is based on torque targets so if the stock tune expects only 210ft/lb and the car reaches that it won't go beyond it even if the intake allows it physically.

Torque truncation is different.