Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Convert MAF to Speed Density?

OP
V
Thread Starter #21
Hopefully there will be enough interest that COBB will jump on board.
I'd prepay for a AP now if they said they needed X amount of buyer interest.
Me too. Maybe one of the forum Admins could create a Voting for this.

XuperXero

I decided to take a few reference shots. I hope these can be useful.

2013 MK7 Australian Fiesta ST ECU

ECU Label

Car Connector Upper

Car Connector Lower

ECU Connector Bay

[wrenchin]
So we have same H/W but different P/N by two digits.... Could it be that it's exactly the same but different P/N are used for different countries?

razorlab

1000 Post Club
I bet it's same hardware but with a different ROM flashed into it, hence the different P/N.

Dan

I really hope there is some advancement in this thread, I have my Injen (I'm UK by the way) and would absolutely love for it to work. I want a working aftermarket intake and while there are many on the UK market they are all half hearted / half product and cost much more than Injen full aluminum to the turbo, I can't justify ?200 for a bit of silicon and filter when I paid ?146 for the Injen, I want that throttle response and low end power from a full hard pipe.

I might buy just the silicone pipe for ?66 without the rest of it that makes it ?200, chop my injen and use the chopped injen as a cross-over. Good idea?

MOFiST

If it was me I'd put a tee piece in the valve cover return pipe and connect the bleeder pipe it. You could tuck it underneath and it would hardly be visible.
Then simply put a silicone cap over the bleeder nipple of the Injen.

excuse my bad artwork.

Dan

I'm still not sure how that would resolve it as all the UK spec intake/induction kits have the same connectors as the Injen, in some cases they even have them in the same order... And they work straight out the box, no cutting or capping things off.

I was thinking about chopping the injen where this pipe - http://shop.grahamgoode.com/fiesta-st180-ecoboost-air-induction-silicone-hose-ggf5001-72102-p.asp - would need to connect then using a MAF adapter and filter like this - http://www.j1automotive.co.uk/oursh...-Filter-MAF-Duct-Fiesta-Mk7-ST-202057301.html ...

Can get the full kit here - http://shop.grahamgoode.com/fiesta-...rect-air-induction-system-ggf5000-71759-p.asp - but I can't justify ?200 for a silicone hose, MAF adapter and filter when just the silicone hose is ?66.

Dan

Tried that, along with another guy I've been talking to in Norway who has done the same thing, while it works for much longer than it did when it was stock, it still goes in to limp mode after around 30 miles. Better than every 2 minutes.

MOFiST

If the inner diameter of the Injen pipe work is different to the stock system then for MAF cars it will effect the tune as it did for my Mazda MPS. It does sound like this could be the case. You can carefully measure this with some callipers. I think it could be solved with a tune but you would still need the MAF sensor ahead of Bleeder in the intake vacuum stream (As all other UK intakes I have seen). I had an access port for my Mazda which allowed larger/different MAF housing sizes. Our cars will be similar but no off the shelf custom tuning solution for our MAF cars is available yet. The J1 and a coupler might actually be the easiest way without a tune as it's designed for UK so the MAF housing size should be OK.

Dan

If the inner diameter of the Injen pipe work is different to the stock system then for MAF cars it will effect the tune as it did for my Mazda MPS. It does sound like this could be the case. You can carefully measure this with some callipers. I think it could be solved with a tune but you would still need the MAF sensor ahead of Bleeder in the intake vacuum stream (As all other UK intakes I have seen). I had an access port for my Mazda which allowed larger/different MAF housing sizes. Our cars will be similar but no off the shelf custom tuning solution for our MAF cars is available yet. The J1 and a coupler might actually be the easiest way without a tune as it's designed for UK so the MAF housing size should be OK.
I'm looking at some pictures of the Injen MAF housing compared to stock housing, J1 housing plus various intakes from the UK and their housing and it seems the Injen housing is much shorter, by a lot!

Examples(look how long they are):

SiCo-Boost

Another shot with J1 housing

AS Performance

Sekred

1000 Post Club
"I'm looking at some pictures of the Injen MAF housing compared to stock housing, J1 housing plus various intakes from the UK and their housing and it seems the Injen housing is much shorter, by a lot!"

There is the problem then because the MAF does not measure air flow but makes a very accurate calculation. It usually sits in the centre of the intake tube, air flow passes the sensor but also flows to the sides and under the sensor. That's not a issue because the MAF is calibrated with the ECU. Changing the position/diameter of the tubing may cause problems and looks to be the case with the Injen intake along with the bleed tube position.

OP
V
Thread Starter #33
Someone with access to Fords ecat system, you think it would be fairly easy to check what parts needed to be replaced(ECU most likely)?,
The ECU also need to be programmed with VIN number i think, so will a local EU ford dealer be able to program the US ECU?
If is only an ECU swap i would probably go for it.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Dealers do NOT program the ECU.
Yes it is done at the dealer but it is an on line process.
It is done by FoMoCo.
The ONLY program that will be installed is the one for the car's VIN.

Dave