Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hi everybody

Greetings to all from the cold Finland. Sorry my bad English skills but I hope you understand something.
I am +40 years old man from Helsinki. I ordered my Fiesta St couple of weeks ago and I expect to get a car at the end of May or beginning of June.
I was looking for a pocket rocket which would maximize value for money. I went to try out all of ST's competitors and the choice was easy. ST was definitely the best. I also wanted the ST with Mounrune mp215 kit.
I have always loved cars and all the engine-mounted equipment (motorcycles) and believe or not I am very jealous of Jay Leno the garage ...
When I was buying ST it was also important that the car is different than other cars in my family. In my garage can be found Cayenne turbo S, Mb 600 sec, VW Sharan and even Citroen C5.

Greetings to all from the cold Finland. Sorry my bad English skills but I hope you understand something.
I am +40 years old man from Helsinki. I ordered my Fiesta St couple of weeks ago and I expect to get a car at the end of May or beginning of June.
I was looking for a pocket rocket which would maximize value for money. I went to try out all of ST's competitors and the choice was easy. ST was definitely the best. I also wanted the ST with Mounrune mp215 kit.
I have always loved cars and all the engine-mounted equipment (motorcycles) and believe or not I am very jealous of Jay Leno the garage ...
When I was buying ST it was also important that the car is different than other cars in my family. In my garage can be found Cayenne turbo S, Mb 600 sec, VW Sharan and even Citroen C5.
What's up Jake...can you see the sun yet? This is joke...ha ha...anyway, it doesn't matter what's in the garage as long as you have sisu! And say hi to Mika Hakkinen for me...good luck

OP
J
Thread Starter #4
Hah, still shows a little light on the horizon (4 pm). Real sunshine must wait for some time :)

Mika Hakkinen has gone away from here and live in sunny Monaco with his stripper wife. Mika was born 20 km from my home but only thing left there is "mika hakkinen square" in the middle of ugly apartment buildings.
Sisu ... whats that? Character traits, or this horrible truck is made here ?

Hah, still shows a little light on the horizon (4 pm). Real sunshine must wait for some time :)

Mika Hakkinen has gone away from here and live in sunny Monaco with his stripper wife. Mika was born 20 km from my home but only thing left there is "mika hakkinen square" in the middle of ugly apartment buildings.
Sisu ... whats that? Character traits, or this horrible truck is made here ?
I thought sisu is Finnish for courage, no?

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Welcome aboard!

OP
J
Thread Starter #7
I thought sisu is Finnish for courage, no?
That?s right. The word "sisu" came the war against Russia in the 1940's. It means courage but also perverense at the same time. But that?s not all. Sisu is also truck brand. Here manufactured. Designed for heavy-duty use:

Welcome, Jake. I remember spending some time in Thule, Greenland in the summer. I liked the sun circling overhead in the "heat" of the season. Looks like you get accustomed to the "dark" of winter above the Arctic Circle?

OP
J
Thread Starter #9
Helsinki is 900 km south from artic circle. Here too, the darkness is from November to March. Now it is slowly beginning to the days lengthen. The problem this winter is just that it is not snowed in the south Finland but only the water and fog. In the north is a couple of months during the winter period when the sun does not rise at all. Respectively in the summer the sun shines all the time. Midsummer here in Helsinki the sun goes down just a couple of hours.

I know it takes some time to adjust to changes in environment like you described. Driving in those conditions demands a lot of attention...my hat is "off" to you. Have you ever been to the resort at Sondrestrom, Greenland (it's a beautiful scene flying into the approach at Kangerlussuaq Airport...Fjords surround the plane to touchdown). I met vacationers from all over North Western Europe there...seem to remember meeting a nice couple from Helsinki. Have you spent any time there?

OP
J
Thread Starter #11
I've never been in Greenland. But somehow feel that I would spend my vacation prefer somewhere where it's warm. I have seen the fjords in Norway, and as you wrote, they are really beautiful. Norway is one of my favorite countries. I travel a lot on Eastern Europe because it is easy to take a ferry to Tallinn, Estonia and continue trip by car through the Baltic to Poland, Germany or just anywhere.
About driving here. It's not difficult. The roads are well maintained, traffic less than in many other countries, and suitable tyres for winter weather.
I have seen photos of winter storms in the U.S. and it looks a lot worse :)

I've never been in Greenland. But somehow feel that I would spend my vacation prefer somewhere where it's warm. I have seen the fjords in Norway, and as you wrote, they are really beautiful. Norway is one of my favorite countries. I travel a lot on Eastern Europe because it is easy to take a ferry to Tallinn, Estonia and continue trip by car through the Baltic to Poland, Germany or just anywhere.
About driving here. It's not difficult. The roads are well maintained, traffic less than in many other countries, and suitable tyres for winter weather.
I have seen photos of winter storms in the U.S. and it looks a lot worse :)
I agree there are probably warmer places to vacation. You have a good list...I used to work with a guy from Estonia and he always talked about it being a great vacation destination. It was funny hearing him talk about the annual wife carrying races and festival.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
So what Tires do you run in winter ?? Not sure they are big sellers over there But I have had a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta R‎'s and really like them in the Ice and Snow .. anything better over there ?? looking at getting a set for next Winter ..

OP
J
Thread Starter #16
I agree there are probably warmer places to vacation. You have a good list...I used to work with a guy from Estonia and he always talked about it being a great vacation destination. It was funny hearing him talk about the annual wife carrying races and festival.
Hah. This annual wife carrying race is very popular here. Another popular sport has been a stupid football is played on a swamp and also competition in which you sit in the sauna to 100 ? C as long as possible. This contest ended a few years ago after the death of a Russian competitor during the race (he had put a thick cream to the skin so that the liquid does not evaporate from the body).

OP
J
Thread Starter #17
So what Tires do you run in winter ?? Not sure they are big sellers over there But I have had a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta R‎'s and really like them in the Ice and Snow .. anything better over there ?? looking at getting a set for next Winter ..
Hakkapeliitta R is also popular here. Here is used for low-speed tires (q, r and s). This is the main difference compared to the average European winter tires. I have a good year's tyres at Vw, The Porsche runs Pirelli's tires (V-speed rating up to 240 kmh) and the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 (with spikes) in the Citroen. About 60% used here in the winter tyres with spikes.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Hakkapeliitta R is also popular here. Here is used for low-speed tires (q, r and s). This is the main difference compared to the average European winter tires. I have a good year's tyres at Vw, The Porsche runs Pirelli's tires (V-speed rating up to 240 kmh) and the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 (with spikes) in the Citroen. About 60% used here in the winter tyres with spikes.
Cool Thanks :)

OP
J
Thread Starter #20
At last, I got my own Fist home. The phone photo taken with a quick wash.
Unfortunately I am not able to drive by Fist because the police give the license back in 4th of August.
The wife likes the Fist a lot and does not want to drive an old Porsche at all.
Mountune kit is installed also at the beginning of August.