Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cruise Control Switch and dragging brakes.

I have had to replace my cruise control switch (the blue one on the brake pedal under the dash) twice since the start of the year, and it's still August. It was also supposed to have been replaced a year ago, too.

I have swapped this switch because it appears to give me brake problems. The first and third switch replacement was to solve dragging brakes. The second switch replacement this March fixed vague brakes (see this thread about that whole saga).

I don't know how I keep killing these switches. I bled my brakes often; I have spent about 10 weekends a year at racetracks doing laps for the last 3 years and I only upgraded to bigger brakes in July. If I need to add one of these switches to my usual brake service parts that's okay, a new switch from Rock Auto is $5 plus shipping. But I would rather figure out how to fix the underlying issue it at least why these switches die on me.

Had anyone else replaced their cruise control switch more than once? If I only had to do this once I wouldn't be as concerned, but this is a ridiculous service interval for a brake switch.

Attached is a picture of the switch I pulled out from under my dash (left/bottom) and a fresh one (right/top). DSC_0180.jpg

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
That's.... weird. I don't really have anything to add but I am interested, so BUMP!

How did you notice the dragging brakes, was it literally like a "I don't roll but the brakes aren't engaged" type thing?

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Not to be that guy but historically "bump" means "Bring Up My Post". So typically a "BUMP" would be if you were the OP. Otherwise you can "up" or "tag" for later lol

Just some internetz history for ya :)
I figured it counted since I was giving a freebie nudge to the top by replying instead of subscribing :p

OP
Questionable
Thread Starter #5
That's.... weird. I don't really have anything to add but I am interested, so BUMP!

How did you notice the dragging brakes, was it literally like a "I don't roll but the brakes aren't engaged" type thing?
I noticed that my car wasn't coasting very well with the clutch in, and then it got to the point where it didn't roll when I was not on the brake pedal. Take offs from a stop were also a little sluggish. It was all kinda subtle, but I've been dealing with this sort of issue on and off for all over a year.

Also, I've got aggressive pads and dragging brakes gets really squeaky.

I blamed the cruise control switch when I unplugged it and suddenly the car moved more freely.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I noticed that my car wasn't coasting very well with the clutch in, and then it got to the point where it didn't roll when I was not on the brake pedal. Take offs from a stop were also a little sluggish. It was all kinda subtle, but I've been dealing with this sort of issue on and off for all over a year.

Also, I've got aggressive pads and dragging brakes gets really squeaky.

I blamed the cruise control switch when I unplugged it and suddenly the car moved more freely.

I know it's of little help, but... that's weird.

OP
Questionable
Thread Starter #7
I know it's of little help, but... that's weird.
It's SO weird! And that's why I started a thread.

I can't figure it out, the dealer *didn't* figure it out, and the race shop figured out the pedal deformation thing, but I'm still replacing switches. I keep toying with the idea of just removing the entire ABS system, but I plan to keep my car street legal and I'd rather have as much safety as possible when I'm not at the track.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
It's SO weird! And that's why I started a thread.

I can't figure it out, the dealer *didn't* figure it out, and the race shop figured out the pedal deformation thing, but I'm still replacing switches. I keep toying with the idea of just removing the entire ABS system, but I plan to keep my car street legal and I'd rather have as much safety as possible when I'm not at the track.

ha yeah especially with how on/off the FiST brakes are.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Not to be that guy but historically "bump" means "Bring Up My Post". So typically a "BUMP" would be if you were the OP. Otherwise you can "up" or "tag" for later lol

Just some internetz history for ya :)
Bump =)

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Is this the switch above the brake pedal?

I accidentally switched it with the one next to it and the brakes locked up on the car after driving about 200ft lol.

OP
Questionable
Thread Starter #13
Is this the switch above the brake pedal?

I accidentally switched it with the one next to it and the brakes locked up on the car after driving about 200ft lol.
Yeah, I'm talking about the blue switch on the right side of the brake pedal. I didn't realize the black brake light switch would fit the plug for the CC switch.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Im wondering if repeat hard stops are crushing the internal plunger. If you bury your foot in the brakes ( enough to deform the pedal box like whats happened to you already. I could see this part failing probably just before youre bending stuff.

EDIT: i looked at how the switch engages/ disengages. From what i gathered there is an internal spring that is probably getting bent or busted when you let the brake pedal slap the plunger really hard letting off the brakes.

OP
Questionable
Thread Starter #15
Im wondering if repeat hard stops are crushing the internal plunger. If you bury your foot in the brakes ( enough to deform the pedal box like whats happened to you already. I could see this part failing probably just before youre bending stuff.

EDIT: i looked at how the switch engages/ disengages. From what i gathered there is an internal spring that is probably getting bent or busted when you let the brake pedal slap the plunger really hard letting off the brakes.
Maybe. When I get a chance I'll disassemble the old switch in the first photo (the one that isn't extending fully) and see what I can see. I don't side-step the pedal and I'm already trying to be smooth off the brakes, but I wonder if I'm overextending the switch. These issues seem to start if I go *deep* into the pedal, which is mostly when the brakes are being bled, but sometimes when I go off track and I'm "two feet in" trying to get control back in the grass and dirt.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
It only moves a half inch. If that.Then the arm on the pedal no longer touches mine.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yeah, I'm talking about the blue switch on the right side of the brake pedal. I didn't realize the black brake light switch would fit the plug for the CC switch.

It doesn't I removed both an swapped the positions lol