Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Dash Camera and Aux port

Hey guys,

Hey was just wondering guys, i'm trying to connect my dash cam into my FiST and i notice that the front port never turns off... i had something connected for several of hours and it kept powering for the entire duration....
was wondering if thats the same case for you guys?

or maybe the front and rear aux ports are different? (my rear one for some reason actually doesn't work... need to bring it into ford at some point...)

iso100

1000 Post Club
I've heard that the front is powered all the time while the rear goes on and off with ignition.

I was going to get a dash cam/dvr and tie into the wires up where the dome/map lights are.

OP
L
Thread Starter #3
I've heard that the front is powered all the time while the rear goes on and off with ignition.

I was going to get a dash cam/dvr and tie into the wires up where the dome/map lights are.
o_O you mean the mft?

iso100

1000 Post Club
No. My plan was to mount it behind the rearview mirror in set it and forget it mode. That way it is always recording and I leave it up there all the time. Then I only need to refer to it if the shit hits the fan. (delete the part when I drag someone out of their car to beat them for hitting me but leave the part where they hit me)

OP
L
Thread Starter #5
No. My plan was to mount it behind the rearview mirror in set it and forget it mode. That way it is always recording and I leave it up there all the time. Then I only need to refer to it if the shit hits the fan. (delete the part when I drag someone out of their car to beat them for hitting me but leave the part where they hit me)
ahahaha lol

That I know, I'm just trying to figure out how to do the wiring

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
You will find that most power in the FiST will shut OFF after a time when the ignition is off to save the battery including the map/dome light console.
One of the only points that does stay ON is the front power tap.

Dave

Spaceman_Spiff

Is there any problem with leaving a dashcam powered all the time? I just bought one, and it has a mode where it takes snap shots while the car has been sitting for a while. I'd like to leave it powered all the time, but some worry about it draining the battery. How valid is this concern? I could see it being an issue if the battery were a few years old or something, but mines a 2016...

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Is there any problem with leaving a dashcam powered all the time? I just bought one, and it has a mode where it takes snap shots while the car has been sitting for a while. I'd like to leave it powered all the time, but some worry about it draining the battery. How valid is this concern? I could see it being an issue if the battery were a few years old or something, but mines a 2016...
It's valid. If you drive everyday maybe you can get away with it. But what happens during the holidays or extended vacation and you forget. However there are options. Many new cameras come with a cut off when the voltage gets to a certain threshold. Some cameras with battery of capacitors can run for several hours on their own once the ignition is off.

Good article here.
https://dashcamtalk.com/battery-discharge-prevention/

KKaWing

I have a Lukas UPS (battery pack thing) wired to the fuse box (tried brake lights and obd2 port). I could never get it to run with the key off. I have it set to 12.4v as the cut off... but once the car is locked, it's like the whole car goes into low power mode. I need to mess with it more.

The rear 12v socket turns off 10 minutes after leaving the car. I just connected my dash cam to the rear. The front 12v never turns off.

My Blackvue's hard wired. I used their little $30 contraption that kills the camera if the battery gets too low. Worthwhile insurance against a dead battery.

KKaWing

My Blackvue's hard wired. I used their little $30 contraption that kills the camera if the battery gets too low. Worthwhile insurance against a dead battery.
What voltage cutoff did you set it as? Having s little trouble in setting it to stay on while car is off with my Lukas UPS battery pack.

What voltage cutoff did you set it as? Having s little trouble in setting it to stay on while car is off with my Lukas UPS battery pack.
I set it at 12 volts for now. It's been in about a month with no issues, but three days is the longest stretch I've gone between starts. I wish it had an option for 12.5 instead of having to pick between 12 or 13.