Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Dealer says brakes need service at 25k miles

TheStig

Had my earl changed today at a local Ford Dealer whom id say I trust, but they mentioned the front brakes on my car will need attention within the next month and the rears shortly after. Now I am no brake expert or car expert for that matter, but that seems pretty early for a car thats barely over a year old with 25k miles on it.

I dont do any tracking of the car, spirited driving here and there with id say 80% highway miles.

What the hell gives that my pads are apparently giving up the ghost so early?

The service adviser quoted me $179 per axle, $716 flippin dollars total.

Anyone else had this issue? My MS3 had 70k miles on it before brakes, and my FA5 SI had almost 100k before brakes.

[paranoid]

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
What are they quoting for $716? Brake shoes are not that much. Install is not that much. Now the Feista ST has traction control that use the brakes which can wear them down sooner.

Chuckable

That does sound a bit early as compared to other cars, but the FiST pads apparently wear pretty quickly. I've got one HPDE and one autocross and at 7k miles I have about 30% front pads left. If all the dealer is doing is replacing front and rear pads for $716 then you should buy them on Amazon or RockAuto and save yourself a bundle!

I had a 2010 F-150 that had to have the rotors turned before 60K miles. Dealer charged me a reasonable $83, but said: had the pads been worn out it all would have been covered on warranty.

Warranty?

OP
TheStig

TheStig

Thread Starter #5
They are calling it wear and tear of course, i never mentioned anything warranty wise yet. Wanted to see if this was common first.

The report they run with the "Works" package says needs attention, all brakes at 6mm

OP
TheStig

TheStig

Thread Starter #8
Typical replacement is @ <3mm. I'm sorry to say from what you have posted either there are things not listed or the dealer/mechanic figure they can make a quick buck.
Thats the information i needed, any idea on where they start at so i can get an idea of how far worn they are? Like 12mm from the factory or something.

Pete

I believe Ford is now giving us free pads for the life of the vehicle. We just have to pay for the labor to have them installed. Although that is for normal wear and tear not for driving on a track day and going to the dealer for a new pair of pads. Someone correct me if I am wrong I remember seeing an article about it a few months back.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I needed pads at 15k miles.
$700? That is down right bat shit crazy. No possible way to justify $700 for brake pads, and if your replacing more than pads, then something else wore out way way too early for " wear and gear".

They are likely just playing it safe of recommending they be changed, they are also prob assuming that your like 98% of the rest of the world. If they tell you "have them checked again at 12k miles", then they'd see you again 20k miles LATER with totally busted brakes and you'd be mad they didn't tell you they were gonna need attention. If you bring the car back in 12k miles, you'll also be EXPECTING to be replacing the brakes, but surprised by it.

So I see their point of view in setting you up for a pad change ( it really is wear dependent ). But $700+ is F-ing nuts.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
My srt4 also went through 2 sets of pads ( and was on its 3rd ) when I traded it in with 26k miles.
My brembo's on my g35 needed pads at 20k miles too.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Your can get Stoptech Cryo treated rotors and hawk pads with SS lines From Tire Rack for less than your stealer is asking.. unless they bleed the brakes with unicorn tears..
On a serious note these pad and brake wear fast with the Tq Vectoring used by Ford like I have said before I went thru a set of rear pads in a week on use including HPDE and AutoX one weekend. it is the nature of this beast to use up pads..

OP
TheStig

TheStig

Thread Starter #13
Your can get Stoptech Cryo treated rotors and hawk pads with SS lines From Tire Rack for less than your stealer is asking.. unless they bleed the brakes with unicorn tears..
On a serious note these pad and brake wear fast with the Tq Vectoring used by Ford like I have said before I went thru a set of rear pads in a week on use including HPDE and AutoX one weekend. it is the nature of this beast to use up pads..
Best line ever made.

And ive looked into other options, im not gonna have the dealer do it that is just downright stupid. Unless he ment $179 front and $179 rear, but he said per axle.

Typical replacement is @ <3mm. I'm sorry to say from what you have posted either there are things not listed or the dealer/mechanic figure they can make a quick buck.
I agree, i work for a dealership and we suggest replacing when the pads are at 2mm. At 6mm, you still have plenty of life left on the pads. It looks like they're trying to make money off you.

Fiesta seems to eat up pads and rotors. I'm at 27,500 and can feel that my third set of pads are coming soon. Already replaced rotors once at ~22K miles.

OP
TheStig

TheStig

Thread Starter #16
Torque Vectoring = Brake Abusers

Typically pads on a sub compact start at around 8-10mm. You do NOT need pads at 6mm. As others have mentioned, 3mm is the general conscious. Drive on, and be sure to keep asking the forum if you have any questions!

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I saw a thing on the wall at the dealer Tuesday ( replaced my battery under warranty ). It said 2-3mm replace I think. And it had a red yellow green color coding for wear levels.

25k doesn't seem too bad considering what we know about the torque vectoring eating up pads. Hell, my wife's Altima is at 70k and I just put on the 3rd set of pads and 2nd set of rotors a few weeks ago (although to be fair, she's pretty hard on her brakes). As far as what the dealer wants to charge, I'm pretty sure they consider front one axle and rear one axle. It's still better to do it yourself though. Front pads are literally removal of one bolt (on virtually every car), swing the caliper up, swap pads, push the piston in with a C-clamp, then reverse the process. Done.

I saw a thing on the wall at the dealer Tuesday ( replaced my battery under warranty ). It said 2-3mm replace I think. And it had a red yellow green color coding for wear levels.
Under 3mm is red 4-5 is yellow 6+ is green. Ford doesnt recommend brakes till about 3-4 depending.