Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Definitive Cooling System Upgrades?

SrsBsns

I did a good amount of searching and I'm still not sure exactly how to spend some $, so I'm hoping that this can be a definitive answer guide for anyone looking to upgrade their cooling systems as they are largely inadequate from the factory.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of the below or need to add anything. This could make it much easier for people searching in the future.

Mountune ~$560 (Up to $120 less if you wait for a sale)
-Triple pass system- means that the coolant snakes back and forth through the radiator which allows it to cool much more effectively
-Thin design allows for easy install (Don't need to pull front bumper/crash bar)
-Increase of .5L of coolant
-Reuses OE fan/shroud
Questions/Cons:
-Possible aftermarket cold-side IC piping fitment issue.
-Does the triple pass mean that there is more demand on the water pump?

Mishimoto ~$525
-Triple row system and thick design- more surface/air for plenty of cooling
-Increase of ~3L of coolant which is nearly double stock capacity
-New fan shroud- reuses OE fan
-Lowest price
Questions/Cons:
-Larger design may make it slightly harder to replace oil filter and may have fitment issues with certain IC piping or things like the intake spacer. Some disagree. Large size means more difficult install.
-Questionable build quality but does come with lifetime warranty- This is mostly in relation to a bad bleeder screw.
-Customer service is hit or miss. Many people have had bad experiences.

Pro Alloy ~$700
-Beautiful welds and very shiny (unless you get it in black)
-Allows for an optional oil cooler to be added on
-Did I mention that it was pretty?
Questions/Cons:
-I have not seen any feedback on this piece
-Most expensive

Pumaspeed/Ebay Unbranded ~ Pumaspeed $450+ shipping/ Ebay >$300
-2 Rows and larger than stock (multiple options available for Pumaspeed)
-Not quite as good as Mishi/Mountune, but also cheaper
-Ships from the UK
-Good reviews on different FB sites
-Cheapest option
Questions/Cons:
-Not as great as the others but does the job- Does it stand up to track/mountain driving?

Bonus Round Questions/Comments:

Ford 180' Thermostat- The thermostat basically gives your coolant temps a lower floor, but does not do anything to prevent overheating if you're running hot. Seems like a no brainer if you're already replacing the radiator. It sounds like some cars have the 180' thermostat while others have the 207'. For $30, I can't imagine why you wouldn't just replace this while you're in there.

Expansion tanks: The '14's and 15's had hard plastic lines which became brittle and broke, leading to failure and overheating. These should be covered by a Ford recall. The late build '15's and up had rubber hoses which were meant to prevent the lines from cracking and leaking coolant.
Bottom line: It doesn't sound like this is a high priority or a much needed part unless you've got $ burning a hole in your pocket and want to dress up the engine bay.

Silicone hoses? Seems like these are more for looks. Factory rubber hoses are adequate and don't really need to be upgraded. But, if you get these from Whoosh, you can get a 180' thermostat for just $10 instead of $30.

Mix ratios and additives- Ford says to run 50/50 with water and coolant but in warmer temps, you can run 60/40 or even 75/25. Additives like Water Wetter can be used without worrying about gumming up the system, but have to be added as a proper ratio.

Oil Cooler: Necessary? For track only?

Intercooler: Running an anftermarket intercooler will help keep charge temps down and therefore keep overall temps down.

Last edited:

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Mountune does sales all the time. You can get it cheaper I guarantee it. OEM coolant hoses basically last forever.
Unfortunately their coupon codes don't always apply to everything. If you don't mind waiting the best time for a sale would be Black Friday, or Cyber Monday.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Mountune does sales all the time. You can get it cheaper I guarantee it. OEM coolant hoses basically last forever.
Unfortunately their coupon codes don't always apply to everything. If you don't mind waiting the best time for a sale would be Black Friday, or Cyber Monday.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
+1 I got mine for $469 a few years ago

The Mountune/CSF radiator is also very shiny with beautiful welds, but you can barely see any of it after it's installed

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I got my Mountune unit for like $429 shipped after coupon discount and a PayPal discount for getting their credit card also.:cool:

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I have the Mountune rad with the Motorcraft 180 T-stat combination and couldn't be happier. When I was at the track with my other friend who has a FiST. It was 70-75 degree ambient and he has stock cooling. He said his coolant temps were getting around 230ish+. Mine never went above 202 and I was driving harder than him.

I got lucky as I got my Mountune from a member on here unopened for like ~$400

Also, as far as I know the rubber in OEM hoses with todays technology aren't really that bad. Atleast not to the point to where you need to switch to silicone hoses. It's kind of a aesthetic at that point.

Last edited:

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Has anyone had a quality issue with the Mishimoto radiator? Mine has been outstanding. Oil filter change isn’t an issue. I even use the larger focus oil filter..

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Has anyone had a quality issue with the Mishimoto radiator? Mine has been outstanding. Oil filter change isn’t an issue. I even use the larger focus oil filter..
I've heard sometimes the bleeder leaks but besides that its mainly if you have an issue the customer service is trash as far as I know

TemecFist

I'm running the Mountune Radiator, a 75/25 mix, and water wetter, IC, etc and I've never had any problems even at the track where temps were 100*. I had Mountune install the radiator with less than 1k miles on the car, and the car has never been in limp mode due to overheating. The Mishi radiator is hit or miss. Sometimes they are good to go, and sometimes they have problems with leaking (mainly the overflow screw).

Last edited:

danbfree

3000 Post Club
It's the plastic lines on early FiST's part of the recall that are the issue with the coolant tank, later ones with rubber hoses are fine... Also Water Wetter is totally fine, you just can't dump the whole bottle in, you only use half at stock cooling capacity and along with 75/25 does help... Also, THIS radiator is one offered by PumaSpeed, don't forget about them, shipping on smaller items isn't bad from the UK, but the eBay one is simply unbranded and have heard some good feedback from a guy who got one on the FB groups... It's only a 2 row as compared to the Mishimoto and Mountune but also thicker so still a good upgrade over stock. It also helps to have an intercooler, cold air cutout in the shroud and crossover wrapped above the turbo.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
It's the plastic lines on early FiST's part of the recall that are the issue with the coolant tank, later ones with rubber hoses are fine... Also Water Wetter is totally fine, you just can't dump the whole bottle in, you only use half at stock cooling capacity and along with 75/25 does help... Also, THIS radiator is one offered by PumaSpeed, don't forget about them, shipping on smaller items isn't bad from the UK, but the eBay one is simply unbranded and have heard some good feedback from a guy who got one on the FB groups... It's only a 2 row as compared to the Mishimoto and Mountune but also thicker so still a good upgrade over stock. It also helps to have an intercooler, cold air cutout in the shroud and crossover wrapped above the turbo.
+1 on the Water Wetter.

Regarding the crossover, would the wrap help with the OEM (plastic) crossover or is it mainly oriented towards metal aftermarket units?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
+1 on the Water Wetter.

Regarding the crossover, would the wrap help with the OEM (plastic) crossover or is it mainly oriented towards metal aftermarket units?
Good question, but it's definitely more of an issue with the metal aftermarket crossovers/intakes, but wouldn't hurt to throw some heat tape over a stock one either.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
hot weather climates Ford recommends a 60/40 water/ coolant ratio.

There also could be aftermarket cold side charge pipe clearance issues with the Mountune as well. As the stock fan shroud does not site flush on the Mountune radiator it sits out roughly a half inch.

Truth be told anything under 400 hp and stock cold side charge pipes work just fine unless you want a cleaner look with less hoses and possible port for meth as a number of the aftermarket charge pipes come with them.
keep in mind most aftermarket charge pipes were not designed to fit with thicker radiators they were designed around a stock radiator and fan shroud setup,

Last edited:
OP
SrsBsns

SrsBsns

Thread Starter #14
Thanks for the responses!

I've updated some of the information in the first post and have added the Pumaspeed/Ebay rad as another contender.

Please let me know if there's anything else that should be included/updated.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I've never seen over 204f coolant temp (even in 105 ambient temps) but the car sure does get grumpy at 105f.

Does a bigger radiator give the car better manners when it's hot, or just more overall cooling capacity?

I already have a whoosh v2 intercooler, that helped a lot.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thanks for the responses!

I've updated some of the information in the first post and have added the Pumaspeed/Ebay rad as another contender.

Please let me know if there's anything else that should be included/updated.
Just to clarify.... eBay $285, shipped from China, Branded PumaSpeed in that model is actually gone from their site, Pwnall used to carry it for a fairly high full shipped price, I'd have to check with Tim if it's even still available...

BUT, possibly interesting news, PumaSpeed has their own full 3-row for about $445 shipped from the UK

They also have a fatter than stock 40mm thick single row, but shipping kills the deal for me, $179 base price+ $114 shipping.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I've never seen over 204f coolant temp (even in 105 ambient temps) but the car sure does get grumpy at 105f.

Does a bigger radiator give the car better manners when it's hot, or just more overall cooling capacity?

I already have a whoosh v2 intercooler, that helped a lot.
Wow, you're lucky that you have temos really that low, even after intercooler upgrade, wrapping my crossover and shaving my grill I still get into the 215 range sometimes on upper 80's days. But I did lower to 60/40 recently, along with the half bottle of Watter Wetter and it seems even better now.

OP
SrsBsns

SrsBsns

Thread Starter #18
Wow, you're lucky that you have temos really that low, even after intercooler upgrade, wrapping my crossover and shaving my grill I still get into the 215 range sometimes on upper 80's days. But I did lower to 60/40 recently, along with the half bottle of Watter Wetter and it seems even better now.
Yeah, I just hit 215+ in stop and go traffic yesterday. It was in the upper 80's and I was going slightly uphill.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Yeah, I just hit 215+ in stop and go traffic yesterday. It was in the upper 80's and I was going slightly uphill.
Wow ya in 80 degree weather stop and go traffic I do not break 200.

Oh and got to say this because its true . SIlicone Hoses will weep water slowly . They are porous by nature which is why the are good for intercooler hoses as they actually help keep the charge cooler by being porous.
So if you run Silicone coolant line hoses always keep an eye on your coolant levels and top off if needed.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Hm - after my last trip to the dealer I noticed that my coolant tank is over the full line (when cold) - it wasn't before. I wonder if they stealth-fixed something. If the temp gets too high I turn on the AC to trigger the fan, otherwise I usually just go windows down no AC until its above 105.